Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will it hold its value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 03:02 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How will it hold its value?

Im curious if the prices will fall like a rock on used caymans like they do on boxsters. I mean is a cayman with 5k miles on it going to be $10K less? I can wait a month(been waiting this long)
Old 04-22-2005, 08:19 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I embrace if prices fall like rocks on Boxster - buy pre-owned!! I'm waiting for more people to buy 987's so they can start to depreciate too
Old 04-22-2005, 09:36 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Interesting question.......one I have thought about, but don't have a good answer. I think it could have the possibility of being either one of Porsches best models as far as depreciation is concerned, or one of the worst. I think a lot will depend on starting price, equipment, options, etc. and how well it is "allowed" to perform. If it really does turn out to be a decently priced 911 beater......then it could be in high demand for a long time. If performance is kept below the 911 and the price is in the high $60s there will still be a few people that just gotta have it right off the bat, but sales will taper pretty quickly with $10k of value coming off pretty quick.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:31 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

yeah i mean will it be another prowler? or M coupe?
Cause for the price you have to figure, alot of people will just say, well what the heck, i may as well go ahead and get a 911 instead of a "almost" 911, and there again alot of people who like the boxster will probably think, "WHAT, more for a NON convertable?" It might just be that the only people who will be interested in the car will be the real enthusiasts and Porsche obviously doesnt care about us.

For the price they want it better come with the ceramic brakes and the DSG tranny
Old 04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 714 Likes on 395 Posts

if the reviews of the Boxster are any indications, the Cayman is going to get top reviews in sports car comparison tests. my guess is that its the base 997 sales that will be hurt by this (I could see that model being cancelled a couple years from now), the 997S will remain.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:25 AM
AW
Pro

Cayman depreciation will be indexed on Cayman's volume.

Apparently, the Boxster is the entry model. The Cayman will be the sports car model while the 911 will become the luxury GT. If Porsche delivers the Cayman with a 996 3.6l engine, I think the distinction versus the Boxster will be very clear.

My only concern is the weight. The boxtser is currently only 50kg less than a 911. That's way too heavy.

AW
Old 04-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it could have the possibility of being either one of Porsches best models as far as depreciation is concerned, or one of the worst

I agree. It's all about supply and demand.

Industry analysts have predicted that Porsche won't sell many Caymans. There's just not a great market demand for a $60k 2-seat coupe. For the money, Joe Consumer can get an M3 or comparable car with lots of amenities.

OTOH, hardcore Porsche enthusiasts may covet the Cayman as an affordable altrnative to the GT3. Demand amongst track junkies could keep the values stable.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:19 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

I would love to have one for the track, but around town nothing beats the Boxster (drop top) - too bad the Cayman won't have a roadster version, or Porsche just make the Boxster S with the Cayman engine, suspension, and weight...

Quick Reply: How will it hold its value?