Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base Cayman?

I think Porsche's strategy seems to be to release the 'S' version of their newest models first and then based on how well they do (or something) they then brew up a recipe for a standard 'Non-S' version. Since the S will likely be way out of my price range for at least the next decade or so, I have to hope for a more modestly priced Cayman to come out sooner or later. I would consider saving up for a base Boxster, but having a cabrio is somewhat impractical around here, particularly for what i see my purposes being a few years down the road.

Anyone have any speculation on the Cayman? I figure they might just price it between the Boxster/Boxster S, especially if it's using a slightly revamped and improved 2.7l. On the other hand they could have it priced just below the Boxster to try and cut into the mid-high range sports coupe market. Anyway i'm interested to see how things progress.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:09 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 719 Likes on 397 Posts

they would be smart to look at sales #s first. I wonder what the ratio is of S/non-S for the Boxster and the 997?
Old 04-13-2005, 11:54 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Baron009
Anyone have any speculation on the Cayman? I figure they might just price it between the Boxster/Boxster S, especially if it's using a slightly revamped and improved 2.7l. On the other hand they could have it priced just below the Boxster to try and cut into the mid-high range sports coupe market. Anyway i'm interested to see how things progress.
There were two cars shown at the Porsche sponsored focus groups for the Cayman......most people who attended say one was an S and the other a base.

While I don't know if they will bring just the S or both versions out at the same time......I think it would be pretty stupid if they didn't. Both cars will sell in good quantity if prices are somewhat decent.

I tend to believe though that Porsche will bring out the S and see how many people go for the higher profit version first, then as sales slow a bit, the base will be brought out. Remember this is Porsche......and they love profits!

As far as prices goes......there will most likely never be any Porsche sports car priced below the Boxster......that has been made pretty clear recently. The base Cayman with a tweaked 2.7L should be much less than a Boxster S.....but may not happen that way......sad, but quite possibly true.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:18 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Porsche does not want to clobber the resale values of the Boxster. The Cayman has added content - power for one thing to justify its higher price. The Cayman S is faster than a Boxster S and people will pay for performance. There are a lot of rumors that Porsche will use the Cayman as its sports car and allow the 911 to evolve to a grand tourer. Given the advantages of the mid engine layout, that makes sense. One other thing, the mid engine platform allows room for a bigger engine, a flat 8 would fit nicely and that's something which would be a problem in the 911 where the engine is behind the rear axle. Adding another bank of cylinders would make the rear weight bias even worse. I wonder if the V10 woukd fit! With V8 BMWs and the New Aston V8 not to mention the Audi LeMans the segment is going to get very competitive.

Rgds.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche is still secretive, but Autoweek claims there are 4 Caymans (Caymen?) in the pipeline; the normal 3.4-liter version (about 295 hp), the S (about 305 hp), a 3.2-liter version, and lightened Club Sport.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:42 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

3.2 version? Oh boy, forget the 911, I wanna Caymen!

ok, MAYBE I still want the 911 because I have always wanted one but a 3.2 makes it interesting...
Old 04-15-2005, 01:10 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Porsche is still secretive, but Autoweek claims there are 4 Caymans (Caymen?) in the pipeline; the normal 3.4-liter version (about 295 hp), the S (about 305 hp), a 3.2-liter version, and lightened Club Sport.
I thought the first cayman will be the S at 295

I think Ill just bet the name is an inside joke, must be porsche's subliminal way of saying a "bend over!", besides i hear germans are into that

Quick Reply: Base Cayman?