Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“Humming/whining” sound from rear wheel well area when idling. (04 Cayenne S)

Old 02-19-2017, 02:28 PM
grphcdsgnr76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default “Humming/whining” sound from rear wheel well area when idling. (04 Cayenne S)

I have a “humming” (for lack of a better term) sound coming from the rear wheel well area when at idle (I assume its also happening when traveling and I just can’t hear it over road/wind noise.) It seems to be a bit more prevalent on the driver's side but isnt clearly only coming from there. I’ve heard of similar sounds happening on other vehicles with air suspensions and it being related to faulty sensors in those cases. Any one here have any experience with an issue like this and any guidance as to possible causes and solutions?

Side note here, I do get random air suspension faults on the dash, however, there is no rhyme or reason to when, or if, they occur. Further, even when they do pop up the air suspension still functions even when the fault is “active” (further leading me to think this might be some kind of sensor issue as opposed to an actual system issue.)

Attached vid is of the noise, its a bit tough to hear over the idle and wind, but its there.

The vehicle is a 2004 Cayenne S.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2901.MOV (917.9 KB, 174 views)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This noise sounds like your fuel pump; quite normal.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:59 PM
grphcdsgnr76
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear its normal. Its astounding to me that Porsche is OK with that level of noise (I've certainly never had any vehicle with a fuel pump that loud...including my Carrera) as a normal function of operation, but, on the plus side, one less gremlin to chase!

Thanks again for the assist.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:01 AM
malimt
Intermediate

Sorry to bring this post back up again, but somehow I’ve never heard this noise until yesterday, when I heard it for the first time I must admit that it was quite worrying. It seems to run endlessly, or at least for the few mins that I heard it while sitting right next to the rear driver side wheel well. Is it normal that it operates for a long time or should it only operate for a short while?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: “Humming/whining” sound from rear wheel well area when idling. (04 Cayenne S)