Originally Posted by ventoGT
I'd buy that truck. great deal
Yep
Old 02-01-2017, 11:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

I think this GTS is coming up for sale around me as well. I can get details if you're interested.

Also, surprised those here aren't differentiating more between the 955 and 957 model years. Here's the Porsche press release for the introduction of the 2008, which is the first year of the new DFI engine that includes Variocam Plus which not only changes valve timing but also lift. Here's the full article:

2008 PORSCHE®
CAYENNES SHOWCASE
NEW DESIGN, MORE POWER, NEW TECHNOLOGY
As much as 500 horsepower verifies aggressive styling
DETROIT - The 2008 model year marks the launch of the second generation of the Cayenne®, the
Porsche of SUVs, and the new Cayenne, Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo back up their aggressive new
design with larger and more powerful – but also more fuel-efficient – engines.
With a striking new face that features a dramatic new headlight design and with a wide and muscular new
body accented by broad wheel arches, the 2008 Porsche Cayenne’s newly sculpted sheetmetal provides
vivid visual testimony to the vehicle’s enhanced technical features.
As you would expect from Porsche, the new Cayenne not only looks more powerful, it is, with engines
offering as much as 500 horsepower, and with new dynamic technologies that allow the Porsche of SUVs
to perform more like a nimble sports car, yet be fully capable of towing a trailer or blazing along unpaved
terrain and through inclement weather.
Direct Fuel Injection
All three 2008 Porsche Cayenne models feature engines that for the first time boast direct fuel injection,
a technology that enhances fuel efficiency as well as power production.
For the 2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, that means a twin-turbocharged 4.8-liter V8 that pumps out an
astounding 500 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque. Flowing through a six-speed Tiptronic S
transmission, that power feeds all four wheels and propels the five-passenger sports machine from a
standing start to 60 miles per hour (96 km/h) in just 4.9 seconds. Top speed on the test track has been
recorded at 171 mph (275 km/h). And yet, the Cayenne Turbo qualifies as an LEVII (low-emission vehicle)
and in preliminary fuel economy testing the Cayenne Turbo showed the benefits of the direct fuel
injection technology with an improvement up to 11 percent in highway driving compared to the previous
generation Cayenne Turbo. The estimated EPA fuel economy values are 13 mpg for city driving and 20
mpg on the highway.
2008 Cayenne / Cayenne S / Cayenne Turbo 2
The 2008 Porsche Cayenne S has a normally aspirated version of the 4.8-liter V8 that generates 385
horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. Equipped with the six-speed Tiptronic S transmission, the Cayenne S
can accelerate to 60 mph in 6.4 seconds and has reached 155 mph (250 km/h) in testing. The Cayenne
S V8 even meets ULEV (ultra low-emission vehicle) status and according to preliminary testing data the
estimated EPA fuel economy values for the new Cayenne S are 14 mpg in the city and 21 on the
highway. That is an improvement of 3 mpg or around 15 percent for highway fuel economy.
The 2008 Porsche Cayenne is powered by a 3.6-liter V6 that pumps out 290 horsepower and 283 lb-ft of
torque. With the manual gearbox, the Cayenne reaches 60 mph in 7.5 seconds and has reached 141
mph (227 km/h) in testing. The new Cayenne gains LEVII emission status and preliminary fuel economy
testing showed estimated EPA fuel economy figures of 18 mpg in the city and 22 on the highway. That is
a fuel economy improvement of 3 mpg for city driving.
A long list of new technologies
Direct fuel injection is only one of the new technologies featured on the 2008 Porsche Cayenne, Cayenne
S and Cayenne Turbo. For example, for the first time the Cayenne V8 engines also are equipped with
Porsche VarioCam® Plus variable valve control.
Porsche originally launched its sport utility vehicle as a 2003 model that for the first time put the sport
into sport utility. The original Cayenne became Porsche’s best-selling vehicle and allowed entire families
to experience Porsche dynamics not only on pavement but off road as well.
Now, the second generation Cayenne can be equipped with Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control that
includes active anti-roll bars that almost completely offset body roll in turns, improving handling, comfort
and safety on road while also providing enhanced traction off pavement.
Also new are Dynamic Curve Lights (standard on the Cayenne Turbo and optional on the other models) to
enhance the driver’s view at night on a curving roads.
Standard equipment on all versions of the 2008 Cayenne includes Porsche Stability Management, now
with new functions such as pre-loading of the braking system when needed, new Trailer Stability Control
and off-road ABS.
For the first time, the Cayennes come with a rollover sensor able in an emergency to trigger both the
belt latch tensioners and curtain airbags, thus helping to reduce the risk of injury for all occupants in a
2008 Cayenne / Cayenne S / Cayenne Turbo 3
rollover. In conjunction with the Cayenne’s six standard airbags, this system gives Porsche's sport utility
a benchmark occupant safety and protection system.
Other new features include a standard and push-button Sports mode for all Cayenne engines, a standard
power rear lift gate, the availability of 21-inch wheels, a rail-mounted cargo management system and XM
satellite radio.
Cleaner looking, and cleaner through the air
The new front end of the 2008 Porsche Cayenne, Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo features a more swept
back configuration with headlights moved far to the outside and covered by clear glass help to give the
new model its unique face and character. The sculpting of the wheel openings and front fascia also have
been updated, exterior mirrors have been redesigned and a roof spoiler has been tweaked to enhance
the Cayenne’s appearance and its aerodynamic efficiency.
Where the first generation V8 models had a drag coefficient of 0.39 and the early V6 a 0.38 figure, now
all three versions register at a wind-cheating and fuel-efficient 0.35 mark.
Power Up
As before, the Cayenne comes with a V6 as its basic engine, though engine capacity expands from 3.2
to 3.6 liters and cylinder angle reduces from 15 degrees to 10.6. High-pressure direct fuel injection
provides a significant increase in power output with torque jumping from 229 lb-ft to 272.
The V6 can be linked to either a six-speed manual or six-speed Tiptronic S transmission. With the manual,
the Cayenne reaches 60 miles per hour (96 km/h) in just 7.5 seconds, compared to 8.5 seconds for the
first generation version. The same maneuver takes only 7.9 seconds in a 2008 Porsche Cayenne with
the automatic gearbox, compared to 9.1 previously. Top speed on the test track is 141 mph (227 km/h),
compared to 133 (214 km/h) for the earlier model.
In addition to DFI, the 2008 Porsche Cayenne S and 2008 Cayenne Turbo’s 4.8-liter V8 features
VarioCam Plus valve control, a technology that enhances performance through infinite valve timing and
valve lift adjustment on the intake side.
The naturally aspirated V8 in the Cayenne S develops maximum torque of 369 lb-ft compared to the
previous 310 and accelerates the Cayenne S to 60 mph (96 km/h) almost half a second faster than
2008 Cayenne / Cayenne S / Cayenne Turbo 4
before – in a mere 6.4 seconds, with top test track speed now reaching 155 mph (250 km/h) compared
to the 150 mph (242 km/h) of the previous model.

Benefiting from two exhaust gas turbochargers, the eight-cylinder in the Cayenne Turbo develops
maximum output of 500 horsepower with peak torque of 516 lb-ft, accelerating the top model in the
range to 60 mph (96 km/h) in just 4.9 seconds and providing a top test track speed of 171 mph (275
km/h). This means an improvement in performance in the top model by 0.3 seconds to 60 mph, with top
speed up by 5 mph (9 km/h). Despite this significant improvement of performance, fuel consumption has
been reduced for all new models.
Reinforced transmissions
The Cayenne comes standard with a reinforced six-speed manual gearbox, while the Cayenne S and the
Cayenne Turbo feature Porsche's six-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission now developed to an even
higher level of perfection and available as an option also on the Cayenne.
All models also have a longer final drive ratio.
The manual gearbox is combined as standard with the Porsche Drive-Off Assistant (PDOA). This
assistance system automatically applies the brakes whenever required to prevent the vehicle from rolling
back when the driver disengages the clutch. The automatic transmission also offers the same kind of
rollback prevention with a Hill-Holder function that prevents the Cayenne from rolling backward when
setting off in a forward gear on an uphill gradient.
Sports Button enhances performance
Standard equipment across the entire new 2008 Cayenne range is a new Sport Button. By pressing the
button, the driver can choose between the Standard and Sports setup. In the Sports mode, the engine
responds even more spontaneously, and models featuring an automatic transmission, air suspension and
Porsche Active Suspension Management also switch to more dynamic configurations for the software
that controls their hardware.
New option: PDCC for Anti-Roll Stability
Both the 2008 Porsche Cayenne and the 2008 Porsche Cayenne S come with steel spring suspensions,
while the 2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo features air suspension incorporating Porsche Active Suspension
Management (PASM). This very special suspension is available as an option on the Cayenne and Cayenne
2008 Cayenne / Cayenne S / Cayenne Turbo 5
S and offers not only adjustable damper control with three different settings, but the option of lowering
or raising the entire body.
For the first time, PASM is available with Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC), an active anti-roll
control system that limits body roll in bends and balances out the car under nearly all driving conditions,
with the body showing only a slight movement in very dynamic and sporting situations.

As a result, the Cayenne offers not only a significant improvement in handling, but also an equally
significant improvement of driving stability and ride comfort.
PDCC comprises two active anti-roll bars with hydraulic swivel motors integrated in the front and rear
axles. Responding very quickly and building up significant pressure of up to 2610 psi (180 bar), PDCC is
able to generate appropriate support and counter-forces before the body of the Cayenne is able to sway
to the side in a fast bend.
PTM for excellent traction
Intelligent Porsche Traction Management (PTM) offers an ideal combination of very good on-road and offroad
driving characteristics, distributing engine power in the standard mode at a 38:62 front-to-rear
ratio.
Depending on road conditions, a multiple-plate clutch operated by an electric motor and controlled
electronically is able to vary the division of power as required, if necessary feeding up to 100 percent of
the engine's power and torque either to the front or to the rear wheels.

PTM not only responds to a lack of traction, but incorporates sensors measuring the speed of the
vehicle, lateral acceleration, steering angle and the position and use of the gas pedal in order to provide
enhanced control under the most extreme dynamic driving conditions.
In difficult terrain, PTM is able to use the off-road low-range gear integrated in the transfer case with its
transmission ratio of 2.7:1, also applying a 100 percent longitudinal lock should any of the wheels lose
ground contact.
2008 Cayenne / Cayenne S / Cayenne Turbo 6
PSM with an extended range of functions
Featured as standard equipment on the Cayenne, Porsche Stability Management (PSM) communicates
permanently and consistently with Porsche Traction Management, but only intervenes when the Cayenne
reaches the limits of driving physics.
The new Brake Assistant and the pre-loading function on the brakes significantly improves the overall
quality and efficiency of the brake system: As soon as it detects application of the brakes in an
emergency by means of information provided by the hydraulic PSM control unit, the Brake Assistant
builds up the brake pressure required for maximum stopping power.
The brake pre-loading function, in turn, develops higher pressure within the brake system immediately
when the driver takes his foot abruptly off the gas pedal and therefore helps to shorten the stopping
distance required under application of the brakes.
Trailer Stability Control detects any pendulum motion on the trailer and intervenes by applying the brakes
individually as required in the interest of enhanced brake stability.
A sub-function of the anti-lock brake system is that if it detects application of the brakes on loose
ground, it periodically increases wheel slip during brake cycles. This off-road ABS function is particularly
advantageous on snow, sand or fine gravel, building up a wedge of the material beneath the vehicle in
front of the wheels to provide an additional braking effect on loose ground or slippery surfaces.
Wheels up to 21 inches in diameter
The 2008 Porsche Cayenne comes on 17-inch wheels, the Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo are fitted with
newly designed 18-inch wheels. All models are available with 19-inch wheels and all-season tires as well,
while brand-new 21-inch wheels in attractive ten-spoke (Sports Wheel) or multi-spoke (Sports Plus Wheel)
designs provide an even more sporting look combined with enhanced performance on the road. Yet a
further benefit of these new wheels is that they are no heavier than the 20-inch wheels also available as
an option.
Even higher standard of passive safety
Two full-size airbags for the driver and front passenger, two thorax side airbags and two curtain airbags
in the roof frame covering both the front and rear side windows help ensure an exceptionally high
2008 Cayenne / Cayenne S / Cayenne Turbo 7
standard of passive safety inside the Cayenne. With the exception of the center rear seat, all seats come
with belt latch tensioners. Front seats also have belt force limiters.
Apart from collisions in a longitudinal and lateral direction, the sensors now detect the risk of the vehicle
rolling over. This function is provided by a new rolling rate sensor in the airbag control unit activating the
belt latch tensioners and curtain airbags in an emergency.
Dynamic Curve Lights
Bi-xenon headlights are standard and are supplemented on the Cayenne Turbo by both Static and, for the
first time, Dynamic Curve Lights that enhance active safety. This feature is optional on the Cayenne and
Cayenne S.
The Dynamic Curve Lights are activated as speeds of 2 mph (3 km/h) or greater and ensure better
illumination on winding roads. The Static Curve Lights, in turn, provide even better illumination of the
road ahead close up to the vehicle.
Power lift gate standard
A power tailgate is standard on all Cayenne models and enables the driver to open and close the rear lid
at the touch of a button. The system even allows the owner to program a customized opening height to
prevent the tailgate touching a low garage ceiling.
A new, optionally available cargo loading area management system has features such as a rail system
integrated in the floor of the luggage compartment and a partition net that allows even safer and more
convenient stowage of luggage within the luggage compartment.
Natural leather available
Another new feature is the optionally available, highly attractive leather Black/Chestnut Brown upholstery
in natural leather.
Information on all Porsche models can be found at www.press.porsche.com in the 2007 Model Year Press
Kit section.
2008 Cayenne / Cayenne S / Cayenne Turbo 8
Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga, and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd.,
are the exclusive importers of Porsche sports cars and Cayenne sport utility vehicles for the United States and
Canada. A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 250
people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 214 U.S. and Canadian
dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service.
# # #
Old 02-02-2017, 12:46 AM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

I think the reason why most people don't always say "GO FOR THE 957!!" is the price difference. You can get an 05-06 CTT for $16-$19k but an 08 is usually around $25-$27k. Big difference but many think that it's worth it yet some don't.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:03 PM
06CTT
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 944 turbo (951) many years ago. The 955 CTT appealed to me as an enthusiast car, strange though that may seem. It was the original Cayenne and one of the most controversial cars in Porsche history, yet (happily) it was considered a success. I can't even tell the difference between a new Cayenne and a Macan now. I agree that the used 957 CTT carries a significantly higher price than the 955 CTT. My budget was for a 955 CTT or a 957 S; the 957 turbo was considerably more when I was shopping (about 5 months ago). I test drove a 2008 957 S and was very impressed even with "only" 380 hp. Overall it was a very solid car. Then I drove a 2006 CTT (non-S) and was hooked. Absolutely effortless power delivery, and the leather and alcantara trim just put it over the top for me. I did look at a few turbo S models but the price difference did not justify the added performance and most turbo S's were strangely missing the options I wanted (roof rack, tow hitch).
Old 02-10-2017, 02:09 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=166113486
Old 02-11-2017, 08:00 AM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

questions

1. did the 2009 turbo/turbo s still have plastic coolant pipes or had they been "fixed" by then?

2. is a 2008 turbo as fast as a 2006 turbo S? (fast = 0-60)

3. i called one guy selling his turbo S and he said I'm crazy considering towing with it (his doesnt have a tow hitch). I notice most of them HAVE tow hitches, which presupposes that it's OK. I am assuming towing a light load is OK (kids sailboat to regattas). It is after all, still an SUV, yes?

The cars posted above look really nice. I am in market for a black/black one.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tsitz
questions

1. did the 2009 turbo/turbo s still have plastic coolant pipes or had they been "fixed" by then?

3. i called one guy selling his turbo S and he said I'm crazy considering towing with it (his doesnt have a tow hitch). I notice most of them HAVE tow hitches, which presupposes that it's OK. I am assuming towing a light load is OK (kids sailboat to regattas). It is after all, still an SUV, yes?

The 957 Cayennes had the main plastic coolant pipe issue corrected, but there is still one fitting in the back of the motor that was plastic.

I don't know your 0-60 answer.

People tow with these all the time, and not light loads - race car trailers, camping trailers, boats, etc. The air suspension, factory hitch, and tow controller is what you want for that.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:47 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

questions

As mentioned the 955 coolant pipe issues are fixed. There are still small plastic lines that vent hot coolant from the front of the heads. They T together under the intake and Porsche didn't leave much room for the lines and the plastic T will eventually break. The intake will have to come off an the injector lines to replace the $30 part. Easy job, as are the cooling pipes on a 955. The 957 also can develop a couple coolant leaks on the rear water manifold, one is usually a gusher, the other a slight drip from a plug fitting.

Regardless of which Cayenne you choose, you could definitely be subject to some cooling system repairs.

Car and Driver tested the 2008 CTT when new and posted a 4.4 second 0-60 time and 13.3 second quarter mile time. If that isn't fast enough you can throw a tune on it for another ~70 hp. Personally I find the stock 08 CTT to be plenty fast.

As mentioned, you can tow with it. I towed with my '04 and I tow with my '08. I do not tow much, only about 1500 lbs but it does so with no problem.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:44 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

I can't think of a better vehicle to tow with unless you need a pickup truck that can tow 8k+ pounds.

No other SUV can tow 7k+ lbs and do it as safely with the air suspension or as comfortably.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:23 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

All-in-all....the Porsche CTT/CTTS is one of the best-kept automotive secrets out there, hands-down. Let the haters hate....they simply will never understand.

Hop on a flight and drive this creampuff back home. The BEST drive you'll ever experience!
https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/6002058844.html

Last edited by Dilberto; 02-14-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:53 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
All-in-all....the Porsche CTT/CTTS is one of the best-kept automotive secrets out there, hands-down. Let the haters hate....they simply will never understand.

Hop on a flight and drive this creampuff back home. The BEST drive you'll ever experience!
https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/6002058844.html
$24,275 for that cream puff! You could buy a new Kia Sorento base model for that price and have much better gas mileage and a warranty. Wouldn't have the towing capacity of a Cayenne, though.

All kidding aside. If I was in the market for a Cayenne now and was satisfied with the PPI on this car, I would already be in Santa Barbara having a nice lunch before I get on the road and drive home in my new to me 06 CTTS.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:07 AM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright now Im going nuts. Thinking about a 2009.... seems for the long run a better bet, if I can afford it.

Another question. If the car came off assembly WITHOUT a tow package, can it be put on ? I know my wife's volvo had issues with this .....
Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Alright now Im going nuts. Thinking about a 2009.... seems for the long run a better bet, if I can afford it.

Another question. If the car came off assembly WITHOUT a tow package, can it be put on ? I know my wife's volvo had issues with this .....
Good call. The 09 TTS is the sweet spot in the Cayenne product line IMO. Main coolant pipes issue fixed, no aluminum tensioner bolts in the motor to worry about, slightly upgraded PCM with color touchscreen and Bluetooth phone connectivity, still the very off-road capable drivetrain with low-range, and the more masculine exterior without the rounded tailgate, shaped taillights, and pointy nose.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:38 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
...still the very off-road capable drivetrain with low-range, and the more masculine exterior without the rounded tailgate, shaped taillights, and pointy nose.
You mean before Porsche turned it into a hotrod AWD mini-van? haha
Old 02-15-2017, 12:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
You mean before Porsche turned it into a hotrod AWD mini-van? haha
Jealous much? I'd love to find the Jeremy Clarkson initial impression of the 955 series - something along the lines of "They took a 911 and blew it up, sort of like a blowfish.."

I'd love to see a real honest survey of how many people who own 955's EVER put it in low range and went somewhere that way.. When I owned mine, I did it once to see what it did - and that was it. Never changed it again. I haven't missed it at ALL on my 958. It's a moot point. Non-issue. Bagatelle..

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a Cayenne Turbo. 06TTs, or '08 TT