Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

957 Cayenne jerking while turning HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:14 AM
m235i
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 957 Cayenne jerking while turning HELP!

Hello guys,

My mother drives a 2008 957 3.6l V6, and she's had it for around 3 months now. There's been a bit of jerking while turning the steering wheel at low speeds, especially at parking lot speeds (1-10km/h). The car kind of jerks a few times from lock to lock.
For the first time, the offroad mode and differential lock was engaged a week ago, and after that, the problem seems to have gotten worse.
Can anyone help with this?

Thanks a lot!

Tom
Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Did she drive it on dry pavement when offroad and the diff lock were engaged? That will bind the 4WD mechanisms but normally they will unbind after a bit. Is it stuck with the diff lock engaged?
Old 01-23-2017, 10:48 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by m235i
My mother drives a 2008 957 3.6l V6, and she's had it for around 3 months now. There's been a bit of jerking while turning the steering wheel at low speeds, especially at parking lot speeds (1-10km/h). The car kind of jerks a few times from lock to lock.
For the first time, the offroad mode and differential lock was engaged a week ago, and after that, the problem seems to have gotten worse.
Can anyone help with this?
Don't drive in offroad mode if you're not offroad. If you lock diffs you force the wheels to turn at the same rate. For dry, paved, on-road conditions you DO NOT want to use this. You'll cause binding in the drive system, and potentially damage it.

FYI, how a diff works:
https://youtu.be/ErNgz_7KhJQ

And a bit of a puff piece on different drive systems:
http://gearpatrol.com/2013/03/29/fou...-need-to-know/
Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your manual it will explain how to shift out of the off-road setting. It involves shifting into neutral and pressing some buttons on the console. There's a decent chance there's nothing wrong with the car.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM
nychase
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

FWIW....I freaked out that my 09 CTTS had the same issue...until another thread that I cried in talked me down and convinced me its normal. I only have 40k miles and its a creampuff but at exactly the conditions you describe it happens. I notice it most when turning left where I have fully stopped waiting for oncoming traffic to pass and have a sharp left to take.

Normal.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:56 PM
m235i
2nd Gear

Okay, @Rod @wkearny @ventoGT it was on wet, icy and snowy pavement. So this may just be a 'normal' problem? Thanks guys for the great replies
Old 01-24-2017, 10:56 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by m235i
Okay, @Rod @wkearny @ventoGT it was on wet, icy and snowy pavement. So this may just be a 'normal' problem? Thanks guys for the great replies
No. You really don't use it until you know you need it. It's not something you'd ever bother engaging unless the conditions are already overwhelming the normal modes. Yes, if you "know what you're doing" there's something to be said for engaging it as you enter those situations. But most folks don't and end up breaking their drivetrain using the wrong modes when conditions really don't come close to requiring it. Best to start with raising the ride height and using normal mode. If that doesn't work then start changing the diff settings.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure this is what you heard, but if you hear a clunking sound when turning at low speeds (worse when cold) coming from wheels, it is normal and due to the inner wheel/tire skipping due to the significant wheel caster on these beasts. Talked about in a variety of places.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...ml#post2675931
Old 01-25-2017, 05:09 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Make sure you have the Cayenne in normal driving mode with no differentials locked... read the instructions again to make sure you got the locked diff (diffs) reset to the normal "street use" mode. It's a full-time four wheel drive system so it will always be in four wheel drive, but having any differential locked is not helpful or desirable for normal street driving.

Quick Reply: 957 Cayenne jerking while turning HELP!