Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow oil leak from hose

Old 01-21-2017, 12:09 PM
ahspros
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow oil leak from hose

2008 turbo with >120,000. Runs great with only one issue over the years. This is a slow oil leak from hose on the left front (driver’s side) for the last two years. What is this hose? I cannot see where it is attached to the engine or where it ends up. I think it is a cooling line for the engine oil.
What is involved to replace this hose?

ahspros
Old 01-21-2017, 01:32 PM
RedRaider1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my 05 in for an oil change last week at my dealer. They informed me I had a leak in the same area. I searched for known issues related to this and came up with the following. The dealer confirmed it was the problem and did the repairs. I'm picking up the car today.

Examine the pressure hose between the turbocharger for cylinder 5-8 (in the left direction of travel) and the charge air cooler for signs of damage.
Depending on what you find, replace either the round seal on the pressure hose or the complete pressure hose.
Parts Info:
955.110.721.00 --> Round seal
955.110.644.00 --> Pressure hose (includes round seal and hose clamp)

Repair Instruction In The Event Of A Complaint Relating To "Oil Leaks" At The Left Turbocharger Pressure Hose
NOTE:
This Technical Information bulletin replaces bulletin Group 2, # XXXXX dated March 7, 2006.
Vehicle Type:
Cayenne Turbo (1st & 2nd Generation)
Model Year:
As of 2003
Concerns:
Pressure hose between turbocharger for cylinder 5-8 and charge air cooler.
INFORMATION:
Complaint relating to "oil leaks"
- Reduce time and effort involved in establishing the cause
- Avoid replacing components that are not defective
Turbochargers have been returned to the Warranty Parts Test Center due to a complaint relating to "oil leaks" at the Henn coupling on the pressure hose between the turbocharger for cylinder 5-8 and the charge air cooler.
Tests on these turbochargers have shown that the turbocharger is not responsible for the presence of oily emulsion in the pressure hose on the turbocharger.

Depending on operating conditions, oily mist is sprayed out of the crankcase ventilation system into the suction hose in front of the turbocharger for cylinder 5-8, The oily mist can travel through the turbocharger into the pressure hose (--> Figure 1 -Item A-) between the turbocharger and the charge air cooler and can settle around the Henn coupling on the pressure hose at the charge air cooler( --> Figure 1 -Circle-)
If there is a leak at the Henn coupling, the oily emulsion will leak out here.
Figure 1 shows how the pressure hose is routed from the turbocharger for cylinder 5-8 to the charge air cooler in the front left wheel housing.
Action Required:
Examine the pressure hose between the turbocharger for cylinder 5-8 (in the left direction of travel) and the charge air cooler for signs of damage.
Depending on what you find, replace either the round seal on the pressure hose or the complete pressure hose.
Parts Info:
955.110.721.00 --> Round seal
955.110.644.00 --> Pressure hose (includes round seal and hose clamp)
Tools:
Screwdriver (large)
Phillips screwdriver (medium)
Torx wrench T25
Torx wrench T27
Socket wrench insert, a/f 10
Socket wrench insert, a/f 19
Ratchet
Torque wrench, signal-transmitting with ratchet NR.90
Work Procedure:
1. Raise the vehicle on a lifting platform at the take-up points provided, --> Workshop Manual '4000V0 Lifting the Vehicle'.
2. Remove left front wheel, --> Workshop Manual '440519 Removing and installing wheel'.
3. Remove front left wheel housing liner, --> Workshop Manual '505619 Removing and installing front wheel housing liner'.
4. Remove engine guard, --> Workshop Manual '108019 Removing and installing engine guard'.
5. Disconnect pressure hose (--> Figure 2 -Item A-) from charge air cooler (--> Figure 2 -Item B-). To do this, release the spring clamp on the Henn coupling (--> Figure 2 -Item C-) with a screwdriver and pull the pressure hose off the Henn coupling.
6. Clip in spring clamp at the original position again.
7. Remove pressure hose at the pressure pipe on the turbocharger (--> Figure 2 -Item D-) To do this, open the hose clamp (--> Figure -2 Item E-) and pull the pressure hose off the pressure pipe.
8. Check pressure hose (--> Figure 3 -Item A-) for signs of damage.
- If the pressure hose shows no signs of damage, replace the round seal (--> Figure 3 -Item B-) on the pressure hose, Part No. 955.110.721.00.
- If the pressure hose is damaged, replace the pressure hose, Part No. 955.110.644.00.
The pressure hose comes with a new round seal and a new hose clamp.

9. Fit the pressure hose on the pressure pipe on the turbocharger. To do this, push the pressure hose onto the pressure pipe and tighten the hose clamp. Tightening torque 4 Nm (3 ftlb.)
10. Push the pressure hose into the Henn coupling on the charge air cooler until it clicks into place. Pull the pressure hose in the opposite direction to check that it is fitted securely.
11. Install front engine guard.
12. Install front left wheel housing liner.
13. Mount left front wheel.
14. Remove vehicle from the lifting platform.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Nothing is wrong. This is expected behavior if you never drain the hose. Oil will regularly collect there, and you should have it drained every other oil change.

Redraider's info is good and explains the issue. The hose itself should be totally fine, but the O-ring may be brittle at this point and worth replacing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slow oil leak from hose