Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to remove headlight assemblies of ejector mechanism is broken?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Jaymac7
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

How does the outlet tube disconnect?
Old 01-24-2017, 10:03 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymac7
"nodoors", I'd love the see pics of what you're talking about. I Think I get what you're saying. Detach the gear from the lever; expoxy a socket onto the gear; push it back on and turn it with a ratchet?Is the ratchet running parallel to the ground? Do you have to remove the factory Allen screw setup? What else do you have remove to gain access/clearance to do all this?
Yes, you are picking up what I am putting down. In my instructions, I was making the assumption that you would take off the airbox and engine bay surround covers to get to the mechanism. Crack/cut the whole top part of the vertical allen screw and gear off, since it is stripped and now garbage anyways.

Once that is out of the way you will see just the remaining gear which easily slides directly on/off the shaft. You want to slide this off and epoxy a socket directly to this. The socket will then be a direct drive to the shaft and running parallel with the ground, so you have totally removed gear teeth from the equation. You will need to notch/cut the plastic around it a little bit so that you can fully get the whole piece in and out, but I promise it works and works well.
It is easier and less time than removing the bumper and a permanent fix. Make sure that you get them glued pretty well aligned.

This actually works better for me than the factory mechanism, so I have not replaced the tray on one side of my CTT and just do it this way and when the other side eventually strips or the plastic breaks, I will do it this way as well.

A 7/16th socket was the perfect fit for mine, and I was able to get away with just using heavy duty hotglue since I was in a hurry. 3M DP-420 Black will make sure it NEVER comes loose, though.

I don't have any pictures of it and am not near the vehicle right now, but if you can't figure it out by the weekend, I can go snap some.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:05 PM
Jaymac7
Advanced

My 10 second solution: stopped by my brothers shop and used a Snap On extended pic tool. Probably close to 16". About a 45* angle at the tip. Used a plastic wedge to maintain a little gap between the bumper and the headlight and used a flashlight to see what I was doing. Simply reached in and used the pic tool to rotate (pop) the bar down, and that's it! Did both sides in under a minute. I have new trays and gaskets in the mail, so I'll use the same method when they get here to swap them in. Simple!
Old 01-25-2017, 12:09 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymac7
My 10 second solution: stopped by my brothers shop and used a Snap On extended pic tool. Probably close to 16". About a 45* angle at the tip. Used a plastic wedge to maintain a little gap between the bumper and the headlight and used a flashlight to see what I was doing. Simply reached in and used the pic tool to rotate (pop) the bar down, and that's it! Did both sides in under a minute. I have new trays and gaskets in the mail, so I'll use the same method when they get here to swap them in. Simple!
If there is the WILL....there is always the WAY. Good job!
Old 01-25-2017, 08:33 AM
Jaymac7
Advanced

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2022, 01:41 PM
woody53
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amazing info

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
You don't say what year yours is.

On both my 04 and 05 if you open the hood there is a rubber trim piece in the corner of under the hood where the headlight assembly comes against the hood. You can remove that rubber piece exposing the upper edge of the headlight assembly. If you pull and lift on the assembly there it will come out forcing the lever that holds the headlight assemble to release.
Just did this on my 2009 Cayenne worked like a charm. With that rubber piece off you can manipulate the lock with a long flat tipped screw driver and a flashlight. Works better that way than it did before it broke. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Possible to remove headlight assemblies of ejector mechanism is broken?