Want to get rid of my aftermarket air suspension end links

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:26 PM
Jaymac7
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Want to get rid of my aftermarket air suspension end links

Hello,
I just picked up a 2004 Cayenne Turbo. The PO installed adjustable end links. The car is sitting lower than stock and the PO doesn't A.) know the measurements to return the truck to stock height, B.) know the stock height (in inches, ground-to-fender), or C.) have the stock end links. Porsche (apparently) only sells the entire ride height sensor unit, not just the arms to replace the adjustable end links.
Can anyone help me? With either the stock ride height (ground to fender), length of the stock end links so I can adjust these back to stock length, or know where I can source just replacement end links?

I've also read that the adjustable links make the ride harsher. Is this just as true if I return them to stock height/length? Is it something in the construction of the links themselves or is it just the lowered ride height that makes it harsh?

thanks!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:09 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The harsh ride comes from the car riding too low. It happens when you electronically program the car to do the same and end links are not even involved. You should be able to adjust to some stock numbers if someone provides them.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Jaymac7
Advanced

Thanks, I'll stay tuned for a reply. Maybe someone can even go out and measure their stock links real quick just to get me the length of the stock pieces front and rear?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:22 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Here is my stance at the lowest mode that is not loading level. Note the spacers mess it up a bit. I am running an 05 CTT with 275/40 R20 with 30mm spacers in the rear and none in front - yet. I am going to space the front 20mm as well, so you may want to take my measurements loosely. Should get your more in the ballpark, though.

Clearance of tire top corner to fender well edge I got:

3.75 inches front gaps
4 inches rear gaps
Old 01-21-2017, 05:39 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know where it is, but here are stock measurement and where to measure to calibrate the right height.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:50 AM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
I don't know where it is, but here are stock measurement and where to measure to calibrate the right height.
Yes, the measurement points are on the suspension, not on the bumper or wheel arches. Basically any Porsche Center should be able to tell you what the measurements should be.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:15 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

The measurement points are are the front and rear subframes. You can alter the ride height settings with durametric by tricking it but to properly calibrate the air suspension you need a PIWIS. I would find some used units with the factory links on eBay and the get to someone with a PIWIS. A while back I even saw a thread where a guy used a 3d printer to make his own. The first thing owners that work on there Cayenne need to do is obtain a Factory Service Manual so that they can have the proper technical information instead of relying on heresay.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Jaymac7
Advanced

Thanks to all for your help. With the help of the OP, and his close-up pictures and original DIY write-up, I was able to ascertain the stock length, remove the adjustable units, and return them to original length. All is well in the world

Quick Reply: Want to get rid of my aftermarket air suspension end links