Sponsored By:

Brake controller question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:31 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake controller question

I've been on the 997 site for years, have a 2011 C2S.
Thinking about getting a 2013 Cayenne to do light towing.
Question: the Cayennes I've seen in pictures have trailer hitches, but are they wired for a brake controller? That is, do they have a receptacle under the dash to plug in an aftermarket brake controller? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:08 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

They are wired but don't have a receptacle to plug right into. You have do to some minor wiring but don't need to cut anything.

Search here and you'll find the threads showing you what parts you need and how to do it.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:26 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

If the Cayenne has the factory tow package, then YES, the receptacle plug is under your dash, easy to find, and VERY easy to plug a Ebrake Controller into.

I did this a couple yrs ago, and posted pics, etc here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-2011-c-s.html

=Steve
Old 01-16-2017, 02:02 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

FYI my Cayenne (2014) did NOT come with the hitch from the factory - and the plug under the dash WAS present.

The info is here on RL in various posts (also a lot of posts, likely old, claiming it's a difficult install - it's not!)

This link had all the info I needed to wire mine in, including the PN's for the VW harness parts.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-09-0021-Tekonsha.aspx

I did *not* need the solenoid like the eTrailer.com page says. Using a Tekonsha P2 controller.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Guards Red Car
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks to Karl Wilen, Der Sportwagen Technical Editor (AKA Porschedoc from RennsportKC) -- He has published the definitive article on this subject in the KC Region PCA Sept/Oct 2012 Edition of Der Sportwagen (pages 6-8) titled, "Installing an Electronic Trailer Brake Controller"

http://kcrpca.org/PDF/2012-09.pdf

And, the following....

http://www.rennsportkc.com/so-easy-a...oller-install/
Old 01-18-2017, 07:16 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

You can also look at the Prodigy RF. No wiring. Just plug into your cigarette lighter. I have used one for 2 years now and very happy with it.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Guards Red Car
Thanks to Karl Wilen, Der Sportwagen Technical Editor (AKA Porschedoc from RennsportKC) -- He has published the definitive article on this subject in the KC Region PCA Sept/Oct 2012 Edition of Der Sportwagen (pages 6-8) titled, "Installing an Electronic Trailer Brake Controller"

http://kcrpca.org/PDF/2012-09.pdf

And, the following....

http://www.rennsportkc.com/so-easy-a...oller-install/
Great links, thanks.

So from the etrailer.com link *I* posted, it talks about "maybe" needing that 12v relay because of potential issues with the *display* on the controller - and they're referencing the "Prodigy or P3" controller. Well Prodigy and P3 I thought (?) were synonymous with one another - Prodigy being the name of the entire LINE under the Tekonsha brand.

I have a Prodigy P2 (TWO not THREE) controller. I did NOT bother with the 12v relay. I haven't towed the trailer BUT did connect it up in the storage yard and no bizarre display issues or errors on the controller.

Maybe I'll take it for a ride this afternoon and drag the trailer out and go for a few miles just to verify everything works. I know the P3 is a nice controller w/the LCD display and all but I can't say I've wanted anything more out of my P2.

Not that wiring in a 12v relay is all THAT complicated but it does save a few steps if you don't have to have one.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Miamirice
You can also look at the Prodigy RF. No wiring. Just plug into your cigarette lighter. I have used one for 2 years now and very happy with it.
Yeah I know two people with that one. Pricey BUT you (a) don't have to do any wiring work and (b) can transport your controller to another vehicle if you're towing the trailer with someone else's truck.

Of the two I know, one had zero issues. One had issues getting the controller to "pair" with the trailer.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:27 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Great links, thanks.

So from the etrailer.com link *I* posted, it talks about "maybe" needing that 12v relay because of potential issues with the *display* on the controller - and they're referencing the "Prodigy or P3" controller. Well Prodigy and P3 I thought (?) were synonymous with one another - Prodigy being the name of the entire LINE under the Tekonsha brand.

I have a Prodigy P2 (TWO not THREE) controller. I did NOT bother with the 12v relay. I haven't towed the trailer BUT did connect it up in the storage yard and no bizarre display issues or errors on the controller.

Maybe I'll take it for a ride this afternoon and drag the trailer out and go for a few miles just to verify everything works. I know the P3 is a nice controller w/the LCD display and all but I can't say I've wanted anything more out of my P2.

Not that wiring in a 12v relay is all THAT complicated but it does save a few steps if you don't have to have one.
I use both the RF and the P3 (medium to long story and not worth telling). I wired the P3 harness with a relay and have had no issues using the P3, as would be expected, but I can't say if w/out relay would also be fine (my suspicion is yes it would). Very good article / instructions on RennTech too site if interested.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:50 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Just went for a ride.

Can confirm, on my 2014, with Prodigy P2 controller, NO solenoid was needed. Wired direct into the factory harness, works great.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:49 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Yeah I know two people with that one. Pricey BUT you (a) don't have to do any wiring work and (b) can transport your controller to another vehicle if you're towing the trailer with someone else's truck.

Of the two I know, one had zero issues. One had issues getting the controller to "pair" with the trailer.
pairing issues are easily resolved if you borrow someone's american pickup truck to do the pairing with. After that, it works fine in any vehicle. I used one for 3 years, but now that I have an enclosed trailer and use my ram truck to tow instead of the cayenne, I have it disconnected as the Ram has a built in controller.

I know personally, the thought of mounting an aftermarket controller in the cockpit just seems ugly to me.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:50 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MJG911
I know personally, the thought of mounting an aftermarket controller in the cockpit just seems ugly to me.
Yeah. I was originally going with the RF controller specifically for that reason.

Then I read a little more and saw how simple it was to do a hard-wired controller, and had the Prodigy P2 sitting in my toolbox that I used in my old Chevy Avalanche (several years ago).

Since it was essentially "free" I figured I'd give it a try first before spending a couple hundred bucks on the RF model. I just used double-stick tape to mount it on the black plastic panel under the dash. Seems fine, it's out of the way, and is juuust in my line of vision if I look down through the left side of the steering wheel. I'm gonna roll with that for now.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:52 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I'm pretty impressed with how this thing tows, BTW. Granted it's an open aluminum trailer (1200lbs) with no car on it (yet) but I couldn't tell it was even there (no exaggeration, truck drove no different) other than the occasional bang/clunk from the hitch.

More impressed than I thought I'd be. Half tempted to strap the wife's car down on it just to drive around lol.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:30 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Additional question. And I've read all the threads.
What issue does the relay fix?
Without the relay, do the brake lights not work, or do the trailer brakes not work, or what?
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:53 PM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tekonsha Primus IQ

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
Additional question. And I've read all the threads.
What issue does the relay fix?
Without the relay, do the brake lights not work, or do the trailer brakes not work, or what?
Thanks.
I have a similar question. I am going to install a Tekonsha Primus IQ controller, received the VW parts today. Do I need a relay?

Quick Reply: Brake controller question