Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Design Installed on 2011 Cayenne Turbo

Sportdesign Kit
Gloss Mirror Trim
Gloss Bumper Grills
Smoked Tail Lights
Powder Coated Exhaust Tips
Rear Trunk Debadged (might buy the emblems in black later)

Parts bought from Suncoast with an install by Rick's Autobody in Los Angeles. Install cost me just under 4 grand. It's probably too much money and I had no rational way of justifying it but I couldn't stand the textured trim on the car. All said and done, so glad I did it.

Thanks a lot to Suncoast for all of the support and the great prices. Thanks a lot to Rick's Autobody for a flawless installation of such a complex kit.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks amazing.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:00 AM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1FlossedM3
Looks amazing.
Thanks! It came out much better than I could have ever dreamed. Such a mean look but with so much elegance and sophistication. I can't stop staring at these pictures
Old 01-12-2017, 01:17 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Front end film? It's a must. Saved my CTT (with all the same trimmings) many times out on the road.

Looks great! Oh, and you should try the headlight blackout inner trim too.

=Steve
Old 01-12-2017, 01:18 AM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Front end film? It's a must. Saved my CTT (with all the same trimmings) many times out on the road.
By film you mean like a clear bra?
Old 01-12-2017, 01:19 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

right. XPEL, Suntek. Choose your fav.
XPEL Ultimate has the self-healing & it is amazing to watch in action (demonstration on a brand new 911turbo in the showroom completely convinced me). The installer put a sheet on the 911, scratched it with a wire brush, then poured hot water over the scratches & I watched them disappear. So cool.
It's been on mine for 4 yrs now with no fading & still performing.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:20 AM
raolc
Instructor

Will do, thanks for encouragement!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:42 AM
raolc
Instructor

XPEL Ultimate has the self-healing & it is amazing to watch in action (demonstration on a brand new 911turbo in the showroom completely convinced me). The installer put a sheet on the 911, scratched it with a wire brush, then poured hot water over the scratches & I watched them disappear. So cool.
It's been on mine for 4 yrs now with no fading & still performing.
That sounds amazing. I was hoping that by doing so I would still have the option of messing around in loose sand / snow without having to worry too much about the rocks chipping my paint. With the XPEL applied to all painted surfaces on the bottom would you feel pretty comfortable sliding around in the dirt or would you have a different suggestion for that?
Old 01-12-2017, 01:52 AM
raolc
Instructor

Also have a general question..

The original parts replaced by the sportdesign kit, are those worth anything to anyone?
Old 01-12-2017, 01:58 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Daammnnn, That looks *HOT*
Great job.
Is the "Sport design kit" same or different from a GTS body style?
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:01 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raolc
That sounds amazing. I was hoping that by doing so I would still have the option of messing around in loose sand / snow without having to worry too much about the rocks chipping my paint. With the XPEL applied to all painted surfaces on the bottom would you feel pretty comfortable sliding around in the dirt or would you have a different suggestion for that?
If I'm understanding your question, sounds like you're considering putting the film down low on the all the new Sport Design plastic around the bottom perimeter. Sure. Might as well since it's all new for you. I don't have any XPEL along the lower side skirts (below the doors), and the underneath is beat up pretty good. Only time you can see it is when I'm laying on the ground though. I'm sure it would protect when you're blasting in sand or snow.

Here's a pic of my front end. Post #87. Mine does not have the XPEL on the lower front valance either (below the front bumper), and after 41k miles & 4 years, it really has next to no dings dents or scratches. Not sure how the heck that is possible given it's location....
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-owners-6.html

Oh, and you can see the blacked out inner headlight trim pretty good in that picture too...

=Steve
Old 01-12-2017, 02:04 AM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by MIK911
Wow, That looks *HOT*
Great job.
Is the "Sport design kit" same or different from a GTS body style?
Thanks! I'm pretty sure it's the same thing, the GTS just comes with it standard while all other models have it as an option.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:20 AM
raolc
Instructor

If I'm understanding your question, sounds like you're considering putting the film down low on the all the new Sport Design plastic around the bottom perimeter. Sure. Might as well since it's all new for you. I don't have any XPEL along the lower side skirts (below the doors), and the underneath is beat up pretty good. Only time you can see it is when I'm laying on the ground though. I'm sure it would protect when you're blasting in sand or snow.

Here's a pic of my front end. Post #87. Mine does not have the XPEL on the lower front valance either (below the front bumper), and after 41k miles & 4 years, it really has next to no dings dents or scratches. Not sure how the heck that is possible given it's location....
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-owners-6.html

Oh, and you can see the blacked out inner headlight trim pretty good in that picture too...

=Steve
That's a good point. I guess most dirt flung by the tires would end up in places not usually visible. With that in mind I can see why you covered the front and not the skirts/rear.

Your cars are beautiful btw! That 911 looks like so much fun and the Cayenne in white is stunning.

How did you do the black lights? Did you buy the $2,000 replacement that suncoast sells or do you have a more clever/cheap way of doing it?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:47 AM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Definitely go XPEL Ultimate if you plan on doing clear bra.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raolc
... How did you do the black lights? Did you buy the $2,000 replacement that suncoast sells or do you have a more clever/cheap way of doing it?
I did not do the black trim inside the headlights myself. In fact I did not do any of the GTS Sport Package, nor the film. It was all ordered that way by the previous owner. I bought when it was 2 yrs old, 16k miles, and had already depreciated 50%. crazy IMO. Not sure how someone could pay $150k, and lose $75k after only driving it for 16k miles.
... (dealership said it was bought there, had only been driven in summer, and PO traded it in for a '15 CTTS w/ MSRP at $200k,.. so I guess he was not gonna miss the $75k). And not only did PO put the XPEL Ultimate on it when it was new, he also bought the PSMP, which transferred to me, and covered all my oil changes, plugs,.. literally everything for the past 2 yrs. I have not spent a dime on this thing in 2 yrs of ownership. And the Sales Rep didn't even know it had PSMP until I was signing the paperwork.... Rep: "Oh look, you get PSMP with this too". Me: "What the heck is PSMP?". Was VERY happy to hear what it meant).

Anyway,... the Headlight option from Porsche was this:

Option Code: 8BT - Bi Xenon (TM) Headlights - Blk w/ PDLS. $575

I'm pretty sure you can take that whole headlight assembly apart. I've seen some pretty cool customization of the PDLS plastic trim rings in there, so I'm thinking you could probably dis-assemble, and paint it black. Very little cost.

Before buying mine, I test drove a very heavily modified '11 CTT. It had been customized for SEMA (or so LUX Motorwerks claimed). Carbon Fiber mirrors, rear spoiler, & roof (which they said they literally cut the top off to replace with a custom carbon roof), and a bunch more. I have a lot of pics of that Cayenne. I imagine someone finally bought it. I was close. It was a very cool CTT.

Anyway, here is the custom paint in the headlights...

And here is a closer look at mine...

=Steve

Quick Reply: Sport Design Installed on 2011 Cayenne Turbo