Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks great!
Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 AM
raolc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I did not do the black trim inside the headlights myself. In fact I did not do any of the GTS Sport Package, nor the film. It was all ordered that way by the previous owner. I bought when it was 2 yrs old, 16k miles, and had already depreciated 50%. crazy IMO. Not sure how someone could pay $150k, and lose $75k after only driving it for 16k miles.
... (dealership said it was bought there, had only been driven in summer, and PO traded it in for a '15 CTTS w/ MSRP at $200k,.. so I guess he was not gonna miss the $75k). And not only did PO put the XPEL Ultimate on it when it was new, he also bought the PSMP, which transferred to me, and covered all my oil changes, plugs,.. literally everything for the past 2 yrs. I have not spent a dime on this thing in 2 yrs of ownership. And the Sales Rep didn't even know it had PSMP until I was signing the paperwork.... Rep: "Oh look, you get PSMP with this too". Me: "What the heck is PSMP?". Was VERY happy to hear what it meant).

Anyway,... the Headlight option from Porsche was this:

Option Code: 8BT - Bi Xenon (TM) Headlights - Blk w/ PDLS. $575

I'm pretty sure you can take that whole headlight assembly apart. I've seen some pretty cool customization of the PDLS plastic trim rings in there, so I'm thinking you could probably dis-assemble, and paint it black. Very little cost.

Before buying mine, I test drove a very heavily modified '11 CTT. It had been customized for SEMA (or so LUX Motorwerks claimed). Carbon Fiber mirrors, rear spoiler, & roof (which they said they literally cut the top off to replace with a custom carbon roof), and a bunch more. I have a lot of pics of that Cayenne. I imagine someone finally bought it. I was close. It was a very cool CTT.

Anyway, here is the custom paint in the headlights...

And here is a closer look at mine...

=Steve
That is amazing, congrats on a great find! I also can't believe how these amazing cars depreciate so quickly. I thought it was too good to be true when I found mine on carmax with only 40k miles for less than half the original MSRP. Then after some time on the forums here I found that it's kind of normal for these Cayenne Turbos. Anyway, good for us. Especially good for you!! It bothers me a bit that I'm paying over $8,000 to retrofit a kit that would have been a $4,000 ordered new from the factory but when I consider the depreciation hit that I avoided by buying used I guess I still came out ahead. Would definitely be nice to be able to toss 75 grand without losing any sleep over it though... one day
Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 AM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marc in AK
Looks great!
Thanks Marc!
Old 01-13-2017, 02:10 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Headlights, turn signals and the black/silver Porsche badges and that thing will be totally murdered out. What's next?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:49 PM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by nodoors
Headlights, turn signals and the black/silver Porsche badges and that thing will be totally murdered out. What's next?
Actually I love it exactly the way it is, don't think I'm changing anything else as far as aesthetics go. Got primary cat delete pipes coming in today, a back up camera retrofit being installed as we speak, and with that I think I'll be all done.

Oh, I do need a gloss black license plate in the back to hide the chrome screw holes. Need to order that from the DMV and the yellow characters will match nicely with the yellow on the badge.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

the headlight lens is not blacked out,... just the perimeter trim ring inside the housing,... which is not that bigga deal really. depends on whether the entire vehicle has black all over the place,... or uses silver accents (such as window trim & roof rails in silver).

I like both approaches,... as long as the vehicle has a consistent "theme".

raolc has done a nice job with his theme IMO.

The only thing that might be cool,... is to figure out some sort of accent along the lower side, to match the red calipers. maybe stripping or something red.

=Steve
Old 01-14-2017, 12:02 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Like this right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-20...hYdA3g&vxp=mtr

raolc, it really does look great. I found a black license plate surround off of amazon that looks pretty good with my black themed CTT. I was even able to get tags that are all black lettering!

How are you going to get away with a primary cat delete in Cali?!
Old 01-15-2017, 01:06 AM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by bweSteve
the headlight lens is not blacked out,... just the perimeter trim ring inside the housing,... which is not that bigga deal really. depends on whether the entire vehicle has black all over the place,... or uses silver accents (such as window trim & roof rails in silver).

I like both approaches,... as long as the vehicle has a consistent "theme".

raolc has done a nice job with his theme IMO.

The only thing that might be cool,... is to figure out some sort of accent along the lower side, to match the red calipers. maybe stripping or something red.

=Steve
really appreciate that compliment. been getting a lot of compliments in person too, the car is a real head turner now.

yea the chrome up front is not bothering me. i figure it's impossible to get rid of all chrome from the lights so I've accepted that the front will be mostly be black and chrome while the sides and rear will mostly be black and red.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:09 AM
raolc
Instructor

Like this right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-20...hYdA3g&vxp=mtr

raolc, it really does look great. I found a black license plate surround off of amazon that looks pretty good with my black themed CTT. I was even able to get tags that are all black lettering!

How are you going to get away with a primary cat delete in Cali?!
i never had a problem with primary cat deletes in Cali. the cops mostly just complain about either the window tints or less often they sometimes mention the no front license plate. the only complication is that with smog checks I'll likely have to switch back to either the primary or secondary stock cats to pass. i am hoping the secondaries are enough to pass a smog because it's a lot harder to access the primary cats.

i also got a gloss black frame from amazon, just waiting on the black plates now!
Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Car looks great.

Wondering why you feel the need to remove your cats. There's a reason the catalytic laws are so strict in California. We like clean air. Do your part as a fellow Ca resident and leave the cats on.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:47 PM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Car looks great.

Wondering why you feel the need to remove your cats. There's a reason the catalytic laws are so strict in California. We like clean air. Do your part as a fellow Ca resident and leave the cats on.
I have the secondary cat bypass pipes but I want a little more sound. So now I have two options to get that, either the downpipes or a catback. To me it's clear, the downpipes give a lot more power and the catback is likely to make it louder than I want.

As far as the clean air discussion, that's a bigger argument that I'd rather not get into on this thread. I assume my justifications are very similar to the ones we all made when choosing to buy heavier cars with powerful V6/V8 engines.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,652 Posts

What are you doing with you secondary bypass pipes? Will they pass smog.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:36 AM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by raolc
Sportdesign Kit
Gloss Mirror Trim
Gloss Bumper Grills
Smoked Tail Lights
Powder Coated Exhaust Tips
Rear Trunk Debadged (might buy the emblems in black later)

Parts bought from Suncoast with an install by Rick's Autobody in Los Angeles. Install cost me just under 4 grand. It's probably too much money and I had no rational way of justifying it but I couldn't stand the textured trim on the car. All said and done, so glad I did it.

Thanks a lot to Suncoast for all of the support and the great prices. Thanks a lot to Rick's Autobody for a flawless installation of such a complex kit.
Car looks spectacular! Just picked up a 958 ctt myself and thinking of doing this somewhere down the line.

You mention that this was a 'complex' kit to put on - can you elaborate ? Seems like its a few pieces that need to be painted and then installed accordingly - did the body shop have difficulty with much of it?
Old 01-23-2017, 03:54 PM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
What are you doing with you secondary bypass pipes? Will they pass smog.
I have both (primary cat bypass and secondary cat bypass) installed now. I doubt I'd pass smog with all cats removed now. Sounds amazing though, I need to get some videos up here.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:58 PM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Socialpro
Car looks spectacular! Just picked up a 958 ctt myself and thinking of doing this somewhere down the line.

You mention that this was a 'complex' kit to put on - can you elaborate ? Seems like its a few pieces that need to be painted and then installed accordingly - did the body shop have difficulty with much of it?
All of the body shops complain that it has a ton of small parts. Overall they say it's simple but time consuming. Most body shops quoted me way over what I ended up paying (which is already a lot) and some body shops didn't even get back to me.

Edit: If you ask Suncoast (or PM me your email) there's a brochure that shows all the little parts included in the kit and it should give you a good idea of what the installation involves.

Quick Reply: Sport Design Installed on 2011 Cayenne Turbo