Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need small enclosed Car Trailer 7000 GVW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:47 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Thanks a lot for explaining that Joe, and for the catscale link!! I was not aware of that business / service, and found there is one just 10 miles from my house. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by AO
I picked up a 2005 CTT to be my DD and tow vehicle. I pull a 20' Atlas (steel) trailer and carry a 928 track car plus extra tires and other track supplies. The CTT doesn't mind at all. Drove from Ann Arbor, MI to VIR and back last fall (1,200 miles round trip through mountains). I know I'm near (maybe slightly over by a few pounds) the towing capacity, but the car takes it...
AO, I can appreciate that the CTT can easily handle the heavy loads (I've done it too, w/ much success),.. but one of my concerns has been that most rental car trailers are "RATED" at a GVW higher than our 7,800 lb rating on the Cayenne. Therefore the rental companies will NOT rent to us.

It forces us into renting a larger truck to tow with (& not use the Cayenne), or buy a trailer that has axles rated at the lower 7,000 lb GVW (such as Featherlite, who will build anything you want).

At this point, my solution is to 1) pay the extra $250 (above the avg trailer rental fees) and rent a F250 from Enterprise,... and 2) Borrow my buddies 24' 9,900lbGVW Pace Trailer).
The extra cost doesn't bother me,... but rather it will be sitting in the F250 for all those miles, verses my comfy CTT (& listening to my Burmester!).

=Steve
Old 01-15-2017, 12:49 PM
ohiolion
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have one that i'm selling.
http://www.racingjunk.com/Enclosed-C...d-trailer.html
Old 01-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Boostaddiction
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
At this point, my solution is to 1) pay the extra $250 (above the avg trailer rental fees) and rent a F250 from Enterprise,... and 2) Borrow my buddies 24' 9,900lbGVW Pace Trailer).
The extra cost doesn't bother me,... but rather it will be sitting in the F250 for all those miles, verses my comfy CTT (& listening to my Burmester!).

=Steve
I remember that Enterprise also wanted commercial insurance in order to rent the trucks. If you already own a company with existing insurance, this is probably not a problem. I no longer do, so it was another barrier for me when I tried the Enterprise route.

Keep us apprised of what you decide!
Old 01-16-2017, 02:01 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostaddiction
I remember that Enterprise also wanted commercial insurance in order to rent the trucks. If you already own a company with existing insurance, this is probably not a problem. I no longer do, so it was another barrier for me when I tried the Enterprise route.

Keep us apprised of what you decide!
Thanks BoostAddict ;-) .. Not sure how long ago you had that "insurance" experience with Enterprise Truck rental, but I just called them to ask. Got a bit more info...

No commercial insurance required. I told them that I have been towing for years with my current personal Travelers insurance, and that I am positive that they cover my tow Cayenne and the trailer. My 911 is actually covered under a different policy that covers it when being towed too. Enterprise said that I simply need to bring that proof of insurance card with me at time of rental. No worries there.

A 3/4 ton pickup rental will be anywhere from $375-$410 per week depending on timing, availability & market rates. If I lock it in right now, it is $375 for the week, and that covers 1,400 miles during that week. It's about 740 miles one-way to Amelia Island, so looks like I will exceed by maybe up to 200 miles. $0.10 per mile extra (over the 1,400) equals another $20. no biggie. Plus the $15/day when using the truck as a tow-vehicle, so grand total will be about $500.

=Steve
Old 01-18-2017, 07:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
So, I find it interesting how many people say they tow some pretty big/long trailers with the CD and are "fine". Pretty much EVERY reputable trailer shop and a lot of my friends who tow a lot say that the biggest problem with the Cayenne is the wheelbase. At PCA DE events, I see it all the time. Yet, when I speak with people who have a direct interest in selling me a trailer, they *strongly* want me to get a bigger tow vehicle with a long wheelbase. You can get into a tail wagging the dog situation pretty quickly I have been told.

For what it is worth, my local race shop also confirms this belief and wants me to either use an open or get a bigger truck for towing.

I'm somewhat in this mess right now because a buddy and I have 2 race cars this upcoming season that will need to be towed. We really want to split an enclosed and yet when it comes down to it, there are strong headwinds from everywhere saying to go open or get a bigger truck.
I've heard that too, as well as helped to perpetuate it years ago when I had friends looking @ tow vehicles. At that point, my towing experience had been as "extreme" as pulling a 28' steel enclosed with an older 2004 2500 diesel... and I knew that the upgrade to the 2500 from my prior 2002 1500 was massive.

Fast forward a few years and I acquired a 2015 GMC Sierra, and I'll be damned if that 2015 1500 didn't tow better than my old 2004 2500. Seeing how far things had come, I was willing to do what I just did: traded that Sierra 1500 for a 2014 Cayenne. Several folks here on RL (combined with a few friends with the Cayenne/Q7/Touareg) convinced me that the Cayenne is NOT the handful one would expect it to be, including 2 separate guys who started with Cayennes, went to full size Ram's (one a 2500, one a 3500), and both felt good going back to the Cayenne eventually.

I haven't towed with a loaded trailer yet, but did take my unloaded trailer for a few miles this afternoon and it's LESS noticeable back there on the Cayenne than it was on my Sierra.

I imagine once you start getting into longer, and enclosed, trailers, it becomes a bigger concern as the enclosed becomes a sort of giant sail attached to the back of the car.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:02 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I've heard that too, as well as helped to perpetuate it years ago when I had friends looking @ tow vehicles. At that point, my towing experience had been as "extreme" as pulling a 28' steel enclosed with an older 2004 2500 diesel... and I knew that the upgrade to the 2500 from my prior 2002 1500 was massive.

Fast forward a few years and I acquired a 2015 GMC Sierra, and I'll be damned if that 2015 1500 didn't tow better than my old 2004 2500. Seeing how far things had come, I was willing to do what I just did: traded that Sierra 1500 for a 2014 Cayenne. Several folks here on RL (combined with a few friends with the Cayenne/Q7/Touareg) convinced me that the Cayenne is NOT the handful one would expect it to be, including 2 separate guys who started with Cayennes, went to full size Ram's (one a 2500, one a 3500), and both felt good going back to the Cayenne eventually.

I haven't towed with a loaded trailer yet, but did take my unloaded trailer for a few miles this afternoon and it's LESS noticeable back there on the Cayenne than it was on my Sierra.

I imagine once you start getting into longer, and enclosed, trailers, it becomes a bigger concern as the enclosed becomes a sort of giant sail attached to the back of the car.
I think you are essentially correct on your analysis with a minor caveat. I've been towing my 20ft enclosed Featherlite trailer loaded with my 911 and extra tires and tools for 3 1/2+ years now with my 2013 CD and in all road conditions except ice & snow and with a couple "oh ****" moments as well. Granted I do have air suspension on the CD so my load is pretty level from the hitch through the thrust line of the CD; yet I am quite comfortable with this length of the rig. It's about 28ft+/- with the v-nose and trailer tongue. Of course I am extra careful to ensure proper tongue weight and load weight distributions. So basically I have about as small an enclosed trailer as one would want to use for a single car hauler and still haul tires and tools. Some folks might feel ok pushing it toward 28ft trailer (34ft +/- total length) with a CD but I would not. Besides the added weight, the extra length may be a bit dicey - although I am sure the CD could pull it just fine, its the stability in cross winds that would concern me.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:28 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

So - I had a 2008 CS w/o air suspension that I used for towing a GT3 in an enclosed trailer. I used a brake controller for the electric brakes and a load distribution hitch to level things out and help a bit with sway. I got a bit lucky in buying a customized Lightning enclosed trailer - an 18' x 8.5' aluminum frame trailer with a 2' slope/v nose weighing about 2400 lbs empty. It has 2 - 5000 lb. axles with e brakes and a 6' 4" high box. It pulls well behind the Cayenne. It is just long enough for car, tools, and a spare set of wheels and has a wireless wench for getting the car in. A buddy of mine has a similar 20' trailer with a 7' high box that he tows with a 2014 S with air suspension. Using mirror extensions I can see to maneuver pretty well. I'm not going to say I can't tell it's back there, but it's not a handful at 65 mph. I picked it up used, but there are places out east where you can pick up the trailer from the manufacturer and save $$. Mine COULD be lighter if I wanted to delete the plywood side walls, e-channel, and wiring and lighting for both 12v and 120. Before buying - I had the same issue you noted with renting. I only attend a few events per year and hesitated buying, but I've also used the trailer to take my car to the mechanic (rather than wait for a ride) and was a real hero when a buddy needed to move and store a project car for about a month (stored inside my trailer). The nice thing is - aluminum frame trailers hold value for resale down the road. I ended up finding cheap storage 6 blocks from my house. Keep looking - your solution is out there. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need small enclosed Car Trailer 7000 GVW?