Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need small enclosed Car Trailer 7000 GVW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Miamirice
For this 1 time event why not just have the car shipped? Maybe the organizers can give you some help in who is sending a transport from your area? I have had some luck doing this with my race car when a shop doesn't have enough clients to bring 3 cars in the transport.

Wish I was going, I have a work conflict
Sidenote: I probably should have created a "better" title for this thread,... since I intended to limit the conversation to "renting",... and "Concours" show-cars. (.. obviously racing events, and owning, have a whole different set of "justifications" for ownership (-vs- renting), and flat-bed -vs- enclosed - compared to what I am discussing here). I gotta figure out how to change the thread title here.

Miamirice, in response to shipping via Transport Carriers (such as Reliable), my biggest problem with that, is that since I am spending a LOT of time prepping the car for Concours, there is a lot of risk in weather on the date/time that the Transport wants to meet me in a Walmart parking lot to load up. What if that day is in the winter (like this March will be) or weather is just foul & I'm driving it 10-15 miles to meet the Transport. The car gets trashed. Plus, once the car reaches destination, the same weather risks remain.

Another consideration for Transport Carriers, is that in order to make it affordable & attractive option, you've got to organize with add'l friends who are also taking their cars & FILL the transport. Otherwise it is extremely expensive.

=Steve
Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
If you plan to go to a lot of these events (requiring a clean car) then just buy a low height enclosed Trailex. You may even be able to fit it in your garage with the 911 parked into it. When you're done, few years down the road you'd get most of your money back at resale.

Or switch to racing where a clean car is not as important.
Yep. I may indeed get to that point where I have to buy. Like I said, I am not "outside" of making that purchase,... I would just rather not at this point. I see this Concours thing as a short term gig. Maybe 4-5 years at most. We drove our 964T a LOT in the early years of ownership, but now with skyrocketing valuations, we just decided to start showing it, and I gotta say we've met some REALLY great people in doing so. Many are now considered close friends. So I can see that in about 2 or 3 more years, we will probably slack off the Concours.

That's another reason why we bought a CTT w/ PDCC. I'm having a blast driving that thing around the autocross track (& even beating many other 2-seater P cars with my times too!! - Two 1st places the last 2 yrs in a row at Parades). I'm sure once the Cayenne loses it's attraction for me, I'll probably buy another 911 (currently have eyes on 2007 997's which seem to be a great buy right now).

But yea, even if I buy another 911 to DE / autocross,... I have a open flat-bed trailer for that. Would not care about cleanliness at that point. No need for an enclosed.

Anyway,... thanks for chiming in.
=Steve
Old 01-11-2017, 12:14 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by knfeparty
We have a local guy here with a 958 turbo and he tows a 24 aluminum enclosed no problem. He tows an elise with it.

I'm starting a service that connects people in your situation to trailer owners in order to share specialized trailers (enclosed, electric brakes, etc). I've witnessed so many people tell the story you're telling where they need a trailer maybe once or twice a year, but a rental won't do and they don't want to buy or store one.

Likewise, trailer owners spend a lot of money to store them and they sit unused most of the time.

My service would help out both parties.
Ahhh, now HERE is where we get to real world solutions that go beyond me just getting ideas from you guys for my own personal needs. knfeparty is onto the solution that could benefit MANY of us down the road. I like it.

PM sent to you knfeparty. The ideas are flowing. Rock On (David Essex 1973).

BoostAddiction - I may be taking you up on the idea. Will PM if I get to that point.

=Steve
Old 01-11-2017, 01:49 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

So, I find it interesting how many people say they tow some pretty big/long trailers with the CD and are "fine". Pretty much EVERY reputable trailer shop and a lot of my friends who tow a lot say that the biggest problem with the Cayenne is the wheelbase. At PCA DE events, I see it all the time. Yet, when I speak with people who have a direct interest in selling me a trailer, they *strongly* want me to get a bigger tow vehicle with a long wheelbase. You can get into a tail wagging the dog situation pretty quickly I have been told.

For what it is worth, my local race shop also confirms this belief and wants me to either use an open or get a bigger truck for towing.

I'm somewhat in this mess right now because a buddy and I have 2 race cars this upcoming season that will need to be towed. We really want to split an enclosed and yet when it comes down to it, there are strong headwinds from everywhere saying to go open or get a bigger truck.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:13 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same issue as you about 4 years ago ... wanted to rent enclosed to tow car to DE & race but could never find one. So I ended up buying a Featherlite 20' enclosed (26' with v-nose) and tow it with my Cayenne. It works great and I've used it quite a bit. The nice thing about both Featherlite and Trailex is there tends to be a reasonably good used market for them so you can sell it when you no longer need it without taking a big loss. Good luck ... and as someone already said, maybe look into a transport company as an alternative.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:47 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Alexaqui,

F150 wheel base = 122" up to 163" depending on config
Cayenne wheel base = 114"

With regard to the "tail-wagging-dog", I would suspect that a light back end on a F150 has as much to do with it as the wheel base. Seems like F150 owners are always throwing a bed full of firewood in the back.

I would think that the suspension stability technology in the Cayenne, especially with my PDCC & air suspension would be more valuable, than an extra 8" of wheel base length. Maybe the King Cab option on F150's makes a difference,... but still. Just sayin'.

Stronbl - gonna be tough for me to store my trailer at your house in TX

=Steve
Old 01-11-2017, 03:07 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Alexaqui,

F150 wheel base = 122" up to 163" depending on config
Cayenne wheel base = 114"

With regard to the "tail-wagging-dog", I would suspect that a light back end on a F150 has as much to do with it as the wheel base. Seems like F150 owners are always throwing a bed full of firewood in the back.

I would think that the suspension stability technology in the Cayenne, especially with my PDCC & air suspension would be more valuable, than an extra 8" of wheel base length. Maybe the King Cab option on F150's makes a difference,... but still. Just sayin'.

Stronbl - gonna be tough for me to store my trailer at your house in TX

=Steve
I'm not quite sure what you are saying... the wheel base of the F150 is a lot longer with the exception of the short version. I don't think they're saying the cheapo short cab and bed works (e.g., the one that is 8" longer than the Cayenne). Also, I think most people suggest going to a 2-series anyway for towing the longer/more heavily loaded enclosed.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

...If memory serves, his much older steel framed 24' is quite heavy,... but even if it's 3,500+ lbs, plus the 3,200 lb car, I'm still in line weight wise. So what are the chances, if I got pulled over, that the po-po would ticket me for not meeting the trailers GVW requirements?

=Steve
I would think zero. As long as the trailer (and load) as you are pulling it is within the ratings, then you should be fine.

Just because you could load the trailer over the limits of the tow vehicle, it shouldn't be an issue, as long as you don't.

If there's any question, scale it. Many truck stops have scales (CAT Scale is very common), and for $10 +/- you know for sure and can prove it to any cop that asks.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostaddiction
None of the Enterprise trucks have brake controllers, and they don't want you to add them... None of the normal rental companies would rent anything that could tow that was actually equipped to do so.
This hasn't been my experience with enterprise truck rentals (NOT standard "enterprise"). All of their 3/4 ton truck had hitch receivers + the trucks had built in brake controllers. The trucks were brand new F350, Ram 3500, etc.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Not one mention of Tongue Weight? Its pretty important too.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:43 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Wis Joe & Spyrex - VERY helpful. Thanks guys.

I called Enterprise TRUCK rentals (nationwide # is 888-736-8287), and they do indeed have sites around the country that rent tow trucks. They use GMC Sierra 2500's, F250's, and Ram 2500's. All are beyond my minimalist needs, but certainly viable options. For one week, they charge $410, plus $15/day "Tow" fee, so about $515 (which included tax & fees). I would then also want to ensure I have insurance coverage, so I'll call my own insurance company 1st.

I like your suggestion of stopping into a weigh station & getting a paper that proves my actual loaded weight, so I could prove it immediately if stopped. Thanks Joe. So if I decide to use my Cayenne, that's a great idea!

Btw, J_D, I'm using a hitch with a built in tongue weight gauge (weighsafe) on my Cayenne. Works great. very helpful to get it balanced AND within correct tongue weight spec for my setup.

=Steve
Old 01-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Wis Joe & Spyrex - VERY helpful. Thanks guys.

...I like your suggestion of stopping into a weigh station & getting a paper that proves my actual loaded weight, so I could prove it immediately if stopped. Thanks Joe. So if I decide to use my Cayenne, that's a great idea!...

=Steve
Not a "weigh station", or at least not a state operated one that is used to check trucks for violations.

Many truck stops have scales that are used by truck drivers to make sure they are legal if they get pulled into a state scale.

This is the most common one, it's a franchise that's all over the US. Currently costs $11:

https://catscale.com/
Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Regular 20' Wells cargo type with 7k capacity is fine. Trailer weighs 3500# so you have plenty of spare for an air-cooled. Towed 000's of miles with cars inside using two different Touaregs, which are effectively the same vehicle.

Just make sure you budget for good mirrors and a Tekonsha and take care not to have the car too far forward - too much tongue weight can affect the steering feel.
And the gas mileage will suck...

Also remember to put a jack and a spare in your brand new trailer that has your very valuable car inside - just in case. Otherwise you may end up like I was, stuck in the middle of Texas one summers evening...

Last edited by Alan A; 01-11-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
This hasn't been my experience with enterprise truck rentals (NOT standard "enterprise"). All of their 3/4 ton truck had hitch receivers + the trucks had built in brake controllers. The trucks were brand new F350, Ram 3500, etc.
If the truck has a receiver don't worry about the lack of brake controller. This issue is easily solved with a prodigy RF brake controller. It works on radio freq and you can tow with any truck. The unit plugs into a cigarette lighter and pairs with your trailer. I use one because we never know who will be towing what trailer and it works great.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

I picked up a 2005 CTT to be my DD and tow vehicle. I pull a 20' Atlas (steel) trailer and carry a 928 track car plus extra tires and other track supplies. The CTT doesn't mind at all. Drove from Ann Arbor, MI to VIR and back last fall (1,200 miles round trip through mountains). I know I'm near (maybe slightly over by a few pounds) the towing capacity, but the car takes it. I did invest in a tongue weight scale to make sure I balancing it properly. That really helps.

Only issue is if I go over 70 mph, I get some oscillation from the trailer. The gas mileage takes a huge hit over 65 anyway, so that's where I usually keep it. I also make sure I start out from 1st.

Quick Reply: Need small enclosed Car Trailer 7000 GVW?