Driving in snow - Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:58 PM
nickpl
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driving in snow - Cayenne Diesel

Hi folks,

not anticipating much snow here in the UK this year so far, but we can sometimes get 6" or more overnight here in Scotland in Jan/Feb. I wanted to ask what mode to drive in - I have PASM and Air Suspension. Never owned a 4WD before. I know the 4WD in the Diesel is different to the other cars.

I presume:
  • Air suspension raised if deep snow
  • Off-road mode on or off?
  • Traction control off?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Old 01-06-2017, 02:08 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have steal springs, so no adjustment for me.
I only put it in off road mode if I am going through an unplowed area, otherwise leave it in normal mode.
The only time I'd turn PSM off is if it is actually stuck and the PSM is actually complicating things, otherwise such conditions are exactly what it is there for.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:49 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Unlock.
Open door.
Get in.
Start.
Put it in drive.
Drive.

When it gets really messy, toggle every switch and you'll see ;-) most of the time, going to off road and turning off psm works best.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:00 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by nickpl
Hi folks,

not anticipating much snow here in the UK this year so far, but we can sometimes get 6" or more overnight here in Scotland in Jan/Feb. I wanted to ask what mode to drive in - I have PASM and Air Suspension. Never owned a 4WD before. I know the 4WD in the Diesel is different to the other cars.

I presume:
  • Air suspension raised if deep snow Sure, if it's deep enough. But if you're not used to driving in snow deep enough to need to raise the vehicle, I'd suggest you just stay home. The vehicle capability won't save you from lack of experience.
  • Off-road mode on or off? If it's slippery enough, use off road. But for most conditions, it's pretty damn good as-is.
  • Traction control off? Why in hell would you want to turn OFF traction control when your goal is better traction in slippery conditions???

Thanks in advance,

Nick
And remember... it's not the going part that'll getcha. It's the stopping.

AWD/4WD is great for getting going in slippery conditions. But all vehicles (modern ones, anyway) have the same 4 wheel brakes! And the Cayenne isn't a skinny minny here! Stopping is what'll get you in trouble if you don't plan for it and recognize you're not going to stop as well as you get up and go!
Old 01-06-2017, 05:07 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you will find that the Cayenne behaves in a very predictable and controlled manner. Even with all-seasons in deep snow, I find the rotation and communication to be top notch. A really fun vehicle to drive in the snow. PSM doesn't kick in even with a fair bit of rotation unless you do something stupid.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:36 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Steel spring Cayenne in my fleet, no issues after three winters in Southern New England in a hilly area.
We just get in and drive. Watch your tire condition, and stopping distances are truly a function of physics that can't be argued with. As good as it is in snow, I hate using it for fear of others crashing into us.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:09 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

I just put it in drive and go. If I want to power slide I will turn off the PSM, otherwise just leave it on. BTW it averages about 20 feet of snow at my house and most of the winter the roads are snow and ice covered unless we get a bit of a warm spell. The pig is great without any adjustments.
Here is a pic of my old 05 before the snow really piles up.
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2017, 08:32 PM
nickpl
6th Gear

Default Thanks

Thanks people, enjoyed your advice and experience!
Old 01-06-2017, 08:33 PM
nickpl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I just put it in drive and go. If I want to power slide I will turn off the PSM, otherwise just leave it on. BTW it averages about 20 feet of snow at my house and most of the winter the roads are snow and ice covered unless we get a bit of a warm spell. The pig is great without any adjustments.
Here is a pic of my old 05 before the snow really piles up.
Love this pic!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:08 PM
JWLindsey
Track Day

Agree with the above advice. Just did a few challenging days up in the Sierras with snow and ice aplenty with nary a button pushed. We did strap on some Toyo Celsius CUV tires before we left and the Smoked Pig was unstoppable with minimal drama aside from a few jinks here and there on glare ice at about 3 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:29 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I live in Bend, OR, and have been driving on snow/ice the last several weeks in my cayenne. It's been super cold lately also. I have all season tires on (continental dws06), and it's been amazing in all sorts of crappy conditions. Bend doesn't use salt on the roads, so the snow and ice just stays there until it melts, so there's a constant layer on all the roads around town.

I just put it in drive, and let it do its thing. I have a 2008 CS, and I'm constantly amazed at how competent the awd system is - it really is very capable.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:40 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My biggest take away from living in Iceland with Cayennes for 5 years now is be ready to go straight on at the first few roundabouts you hit in winter and were planning on turning left or right at.

If I am hitting un-ploughed snow I raise up using air suspension and plough on through. The first time you get that wrong be ready for a lot of digging out if you do get stuck.. especially if you have the off road protection plates on the bottom of the car. =)

But overall these things are very predictable and very comfy to slide through corners in powdery snow... eerily stable tbh.

Quick Reply: Driving in snow - Cayenne Diesel