Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid filling with air suspension.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:27 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Transmission fluid filling with air suspension.

I am filling my trans with new fluid. In the procedure list, it says to do initial fill then to start motor and keep filling, have someone cycle between drive and reverse and watch temp. One procedure says that the wheels will move as its supposed to be on jack stands. My car is in lifted mode and the air suspension is disabled since I jacked it up to change rear diff but it's now back on ground. My question is do I need to have wheels off ground to spin or will just holding brake and cycling between drive and reverse work fine? My concern is the air suspension is supposed to auto enable when driving and if it's jacked up it may mess sensors up if it enables.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:02 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

I would agree to hold your foot on the brake and cycle. The air will activate and If I remember right it's below 15mph. E brake isn't a bad idea either.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:17 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you. One other thing is do I check fluid level in park, neutral, or it doesn't matter. Thanks
Old 12-26-2016, 06:45 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You don't need the vehicle jacked up off the ground but a lift helps. Hold the wheels with the brake when you shift from Park or Neutral into Drive or Reverse so the wheels don't turn. This is just to get the air out of the valve body and to help warm the fluid due to the clutches being engaged. As soon as you start the engine begin filling again. You will need Durametric or another program that lets you read the trans temperature. The idea is to fill until the fluid drips from the fill hole, then start the engine and fill again until fluid comes out the fill hole again. Let the fluid drip/drain out the fill hole with the engine running until the fluid reaches 40'C then re-install the fill hole plug.
If you let the fluid get too warm when you re-install the plug the fluid level will be too low. Too cold and the level will be too high. A friend that is a Master Tech at the Porsche dealership nearby says it's always better for a couple of degrees too low than a couple degrees too high. He say's that as soon as it hits 35'C they grab the plug and re-install so that is what I did. From the time I grabbed the plug and got it re-inserted it was right at about 40'C.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid filling with air suspension.