Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

You can retrofit the FACTORY hitch to a 958 right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:34 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

For what it's worth... I stopped by the storage yard today, and connected the trailer plug.

No issues, no errors, etc. LED lights on the trailer behaved just fine - running lights, turn signals, brake lights, etc.

Don't have the brake controller wired in yet so I'll test again once that's done this weekend.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:57 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
For what it's worth... I stopped by the storage yard today, and connected the trailer plug.
No issues, no errors, etc. LED lights on the trailer behaved just fine - running lights, turn signals, brake lights, etc.
Don't have the brake controller wired in yet so I'll test again once that's done this weekend.
So Jim, Are you now using the 7-way Adapter for LED's that you mentioned you were going to buy in post # 11 ?? ...
Well... fwiw... my trailer has LED tail lights.
I'm gonna take a chance with mine without any kind of adapters first. And BTW, the one he linked to converts the plug to a 4-way. I still need the 7-way... found this: https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html
I'm currently using a stnd 7-way adapter which works fine for regular incandescent bulb trailers...
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-55415-Ad.../dp/B0009FB7DA
Guess I'll probably just have to try this for myself,.... Hook-up to a LED trailer with my full LED Cayenne & current stnd 7-way adapter.

=Steve
Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I'm not using ANY adapters.

Plugged the trailer directly into the Cayenne.

I wanted to try it before I bought an adapter. Glad I did.

I'll try it again once I get the brake controller installed, just in case the controller has something to do with the need for the adapter.

EDIT: ok, the 2nd link you posted looks like that might be the piece that connects to the stock harness? I did have this installed at the same time as the hitch: http://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/mer...de=SKU955TPLUG - without it, you can't plug any "normal" 7-way connector in.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:06 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
JR, I was reading your note above, and wanted to ask you...

My 2012 Cayenne Turbo has the LED lighting option from the factory. Along with all the LED's used all over the vehicle {inside & out}, it also does have the LED Rear Tail Lights.

Do you know if this type of LED fitted Cayenne would already be capable of handling a LED Trailer?

For the past 2 years of towing, I've only ever used a regular bulb trailer. But I may be in the market to purchase a new trailer soon, and want to know if I will need any of these mod's to my Cayenne, IF I buy a LED Trailer.

TIA,
=Steve
The trailer computer/module in your cayenne only thinks about the trailer lighting. It does not care if you have LED for car lighting. I LED lightening on my Cayenne. If you have had no trouble with incandescent lighted trailers, then your module was set to incandescent. All you have to do is buy the incandescent-to-LED converter when you use an LED trailer.

Easy stuff and you will always have the ability to tow both lighting types.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:25 AM
Heath Maddox
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the q7 or touereg hitch packages will work? From pictures they look identical and I know the vehicles share many of the same chassis and electrical components.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...it/4l0092101c/
Old 01-16-2017, 02:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Don't know. Sure does look like it's the same. Would be damned funny if it was!

Not sure if the fact that the module has a VW PN (vs a PAG PN) has any effect on the ability to program it via PIWIS.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know. Sure does look like it's the same. Would be damned funny if it was!

Not sure if the fact that the module has a VW PN (vs a PAG PN) has any effect on the ability to program it via PIWIS.
I would think there may be an issue.

The VAG-COM does not work on Porsche
From the VAG COM site:

Porsche: Although Porsche SE and Volkswagen AG have taken steps to merge, Porsche still does diagnostics quite differently than VW so VCDS does not do OEM diagnostics on most Porsche systems. However, we've heard good things about Durametric's Diagnostic Tool for Porsche.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:58 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

There's a member over at the other forum who uses the VAG-COM successfully on many of the systems in his Cayenne, likely because so many of the modules are corporate VW modules. It wouldn't be surprising if this single module is used in this chassis by VW, Audi and Porsche. Actually, it would be surprising if VAG allowed the different marques to waste money reinventing this component. It'd be great if a kind and curious soul popped off the right access panel in the back of their Cayenne to verify the part number on their factory tow module (wink, hint, nudge).
Old 01-18-2017, 07:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Interesting. Could be possible? Not willing to try it and risk bricking a module myself tho
Old 01-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Heath Maddox
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After many hours I have confirmed that the trailer module 7P0907383G used IS a VW Touareg part, BUT it appears that the q7 uses a different unit and harness and assume it would not work.

While the parts schematics show the part and number being used it is not listed/sold by Porsche outside of the trailering kit apparently. See the part labeled (16) for the module http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/pet/por...a/537u/901020/
Old 01-19-2017, 12:58 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Heath Maddox
While the parts schematics show the part and number being used it is not listed/sold by Porsche outside of the trailering kit apparently.
Suncoast told me the same thing when I enquired about purchasing just the module and wiring harness rather than the whole kit.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Heath Maddox
After many hours I have confirmed that the trailer module 7P0907383G used IS a VW Touareg part, BUT it appears that the q7 uses a different unit and harness and assume it would not work.

While the parts schematics show the part and number being used it is not listed/sold by Porsche outside of the trailering kit apparently. See the part labeled (16) for the module http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/pet/por...a/537u/901020/
Great website - full PET on line. Cool, even if it doesn't know my VIN#..

If you go to: http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/etka/part/7P0907383C/ - and look at the "use of" tab - it shows it on Cayennes and Tourags (2011-2012) so it's likely compatible. Question is if it has to be coded to enter it into the system on the vehicle.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:10 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah that's ultimately what wound up happening.

She couldn't match the Suncoast price on the parts but said she'd work with me on the labor if I brought her the hitch kit.
What was the labor they charged for the install and programming?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:54 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

From memory it was just under $600 in labor.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:40 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I had the dealer closest to me install the factory hitch and everything else that was needed for a hook-n-go job. I paid what they wanted but thankfully the job can in just under what I was quoted and I also signed up for their rewards program so I got 10% off and now have a $220 credit for future service. I also got a base 17 Macan for a loaner.

There was no way I was going to get the job done on my own then go to the dealer to have the programming done. I'm glad it is done as I used my snowmobile trailer to pick up a new powered split king sized bed so my wife and I can be propped up instead of using all the pillows we had been using to get comfortable while we watched TV or surfed the web/read in bed. Then this spring/summer, I'll tow the boat and put the dual sport bike on the hitch rack.

Name:  P1100816_zpszal7mklw.jpg
Views: 3045
Size:  193.3 KB

Last edited by BenCD; 03-11-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: You can retrofit the FACTORY hitch to a 958 right?