Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Bartron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I'll have to try Bartron's method. Once the charger cord is plugged in, I can lock the car using the button on the handle or the remote fob.
I've thought of keeping the second key fob in the garage next to the charger to make it easy.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Randall Perry
2nd Gear

Default Handling vs. non-hybrid

Hello all,

Been researching everything I can find on this car, and am getting mixed reviews on the handling part.

MT reviewer says it (2015 hybrid) handles on par with other Cayenne models except that the steering lacks some feel.

Other reviewers say it's basically a dog in handling and doesn't come close to other Cayennes, or even BMW X5. Some say diesel version handles much better.

Anybody here have experience with both hybrid/non-hybrid and can comment?

It seems there's not as much controversy on the Panamera Hybrid--seems to handle well regardless.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My previous car was a 2004 CTT.

I currently have a 2016 S E-Hybrid. It has the Sport Chrono package, and is basically the Platinum Package without the name in terms of spec.

My subjective observations..

It does wallow a little more than your average Cayenne, but it's no where near as bad as some reviews have said. I believe some are still based on the previous hybrid model. If you read later reviews most put it at the bottom of Cayenne handling overall, but still streets ahead of most other SUVs. "Worst of the best"?

It tightens up considerably with Super Sport suspension settings, and you don't have to have it in Super Sport engine mode to use that setting. I would not have one without this option.
I'd like the middle suspension setting to be this firm, and would happily take a little bit more for the upper setting.

Steering feel is much less than other cars as it is all electric. You get used to it. But you are always aware of it. I think most people read the handling as being worse than it is from that feel.. which takes a while to get used to.. but then so does regenerative breaking.

In Super Sport (both engine and suspension) and with a fully charged battery I'd say it's on a par with my previous Turbo.. probably about the same handling, slightly better performance because of better torque low down from the electric motor boost.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Randall Perry
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by thescratt

In Super Sport (both engine and suspension) and with a fully charged battery I'd say it's on a par with my previous Turbo.. probably about the same handling, slightly better performance because of better torque low down from the electric motor boost.
Thanks, that helps.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:37 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in the same position a year ago and picked up a 2011 hybrid.

My wife is a bit of a tree hugger and will only drive hybrids. I honestly didn't even know there was a Cayenne hybrid, let alone one in our price range.

We traded in her Prius and picked up ours for around $34k if I remember right. In love with it.

Let me know if you have any questions
Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 AM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

All I can say is that there are huge rebates for Cayenne Hybrid now...so whoever wants one, now is probably the best moment.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:57 AM
asap
8th Gear

I have just received mine, and though only having driven it for about 100km love it. I just refueled yesterday, and a blue E symbol with a circular arrow appeared. Is this the e-charge function? It disappeared after pressing a few buttons.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:35 AM
thescratt
Instructor

That symbol shows electric drive readiness and activity. From memory... If it's blue you are running on electric power. If it is grey e-power is available. If it goes away you cannot use electric drive; most likely because the battery is too low.

You select the drive modes with the buttons in the centre console. Hybrid Mode (ICE and battery), E-Drive (just electric), E-Charge (car charges battery from ICE while running).
Old 03-04-2017, 01:16 AM
asap
8th Gear

Thank you for your response. Are there any particular tips for the e-hybrid that you could share? Any quirks that I should know off, and easy shortcuts to things? This is my first porsche as well, so I am new to the brand
Old 03-04-2017, 09:58 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Welcome to rennlist, welcome to Porsche and welcome to the Hybrid era.. =)

Honestly, I didn't even know the Hybrids existed until I happened upon the one I have now, when looking for an ATV one weekend. It was black. Looked amazing, and at first I thought it was a Macan... I came from a 2004 CTT.

Learn about "sailing", and the best strategies for driving a hybrid. Local trips on battery and so on. It's a very involved machine. Still a Porsche, so a drivers machine, but also very involved on a geeky level if you are to get the best from it. I am a 100% convert.. My current hope is that Mission E is somewhere between a Panamera and a 911.. Or that a 911 hybrid comes sooner rather than later...

Most of what I learned about my hybrid was from driving it.. downloading the Porsche e-manual "Good to know" to an iPad.. although it's also online. And from people here....

Anything specific you are curious about?
The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (02-03-2020)
Old 03-04-2017, 05:24 PM
asap
8th Gear

Thank you for the response. The good to know app is very good! I had just downloaded it per your recommendation Though I do have a question, my steering wheel if left without interaction tends to veer a little left. Is this normal, or should I go back to the dealer to fix it?
Old 03-05-2017, 09:58 AM
thescratt
Instructor

If it's a new car and you are not happy about anything, take it back to the dealer is my mantra.

If it's not a new car but you have warranty.. also worth popping back.

Without more details I couldn't really give any better advice.. Assuming a stable road surface and all other things being normal could be wheel balance, tyre pressure, tracking.. any number of things.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:18 PM
asap
8th Gear

It will be in for service at 1000km, so I guess I will wait to see if any problems surface until then, I am just on 200km. Thank you for your advice, and I too, wait for a 911 hybrid
Old 03-06-2017, 11:11 AM
asap
8th Gear

Another question, cant seem to find it in the manual, but how do you set up to memory the park assist settings (With surround view camera)? Every time I set up to the required specifications, it would reset back randomly
Old 04-04-2017, 04:11 AM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carbon build up issues on this 3.0 supercharged engine?

Direct fuel injection provides many benefits in terms of fuel economy and power, but from what I've been reading, that's only when the values and intake ports are clean and free from carbon buildup. Because fuel no longer washes into the intake runners and over the backside of the intake valve, crankcase gasses carrying oil droplets that get deposited on the backside of valves never get cleaned off by the detergents in the fuel.

Has anything been done by Porsche to improve on this (such as port side injectors that are used on occasion or some other novel way to get fuel to wash over areas prone to carbon build up), given that this Audi sourced engine is prone to have issues with carbon deposits?

Are you guys aware of any services that the dealership offers to get around this? I believe that only removing the manifold and manually scraping/brushing the carbon off the valves is effective. All of the other chemical methods (involving spraying a cleaner in through the intake) don't really do much since the carbon is baked on there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread