Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Turbo, anything to look out for? Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by jford
I need to re read the threads there I thought only those past mileage limits were denied. Was quoted $3,000 for the preventative fix. Sound right?
Roughly. Parts are around $1,500 (with some discount), labor allowed by Porsche is 4.5 hours, but my dealer quoted me 8 hours. Since I didn't want them to rush the job - I agreed. Total was just under $2,600.

Someday I'll get the Turbo back.. there was a little timing problem doing the job, and they ended up pulling the engine, pulling the heads and timing chains and sending the heads out for rebuild with new valves in a cylinder or two. All the valves were supposed to be R&R'd and checked for bending in a lathe, new stem seals, cleaned up carbon, and all reassembled.

We'll see how this works out when it is done. It was claimed this morning that it should be done this week - about a month after it went in for the 8 hour job.

BTW - despite two service managers telling someone that it will be covered under emissions - there are documented cases of it NOT being covered even though the vehicle was still under the emissions warranty limits. In that case - plan on $30k for a rebuilt engine. I suspect it might be a case of a 2nd owner, or someone who used an independent to service the vehicle, or just Porsche being Porsche.

Whatever - if you want to sleep at night when you own an expensive German vehicle - you want to have a WARRANTY. Plan on spending $3,000+ for one.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:45 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Roughly. Parts are around $1,500 (with some discount), labor allowed by Porsche is 4.5 hours, but my dealer quoted me 8 hours. Since I didn't want them to rush the job - I agreed. Total was just under $2,600.

Someday I'll get the Turbo back.. there was a little timing problem doing the job, and they ended up pulling the engine, pulling the heads and timing chains and sending the heads out for rebuild with new valves in a cylinder or two. All the valves were supposed to be R&R'd and checked for bending in a lathe, new stem seals, cleaned up carbon, and all reassembled.

We'll see how this works out when it is done. It was claimed this morning that it should be done this week - about a month after it went in for the 8 hour job.

BTW - despite two service managers telling someone that it will be covered under emissions - there are documented cases of it NOT being covered even though the vehicle was still under the emissions warranty limits. In that case - plan on $30k for a rebuilt engine. I suspect it might be a case of a 2nd owner, or someone who used an independent to service the vehicle, or just Porsche being Porsche.

Whatever - if you want to sleep at night when you own an expensive German vehicle - you want to have a WARRANTY. Plan on spending $3,000+ for one.
Ouch. I seem to remember (maybe from 6speed) you putting your CTT in for the preventative measure. Sorry to hear it's turning out so bad.

I have to wonder what the true fail rate is in that PCNA isn't doing the fix for ALL effected engines.

It is a drag to go into any purchase with a cloud of worry, especially when putting out $50,000 +/- fpr a 4 year old car that, even if CPO'd, probably only has a few months of warranty left. Like I said earlier, fingers crossed!

Side note, Spring Lake is my favorite NJ coastal community, next to my home town of Ocean City, of course. Planted a few sycamores in front of my house to try to capture a little of your town's feel.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:30 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by jford
It is a drag to go into any purchase with a cloud of worry, especially when putting out $50,000 +/- fpr a 4 year old car that, even if CPO'd, probably only has a few months of warranty left. Like I said earlier, fingers crossed!

Side note, Spring Lake is my favorite NJ coastal community, next to my home town of Ocean City, of course. Planted a few sycamores in front of my house to try to capture a little of your town's feel.
Thanks. I think if I was buying a used 2011 Turbo now - from a dealer - I'd insist that the Workshop Campaign be done before it was delivered - even when they claim it isn't covered under the VIN#.

Guess you've driven around the lake in town - that's where the nicest sycamores are..
Old 09-27-2016, 09:01 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Ksdaoski - the 2011 CTT you're looking at looks very nicely equipped. About the only other thing I can think of right off hand that might be a 'nice to have' is the Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) option.

As for concerns, yeah, you can read here and other forums where a few have had cam adjuster bolt failure and the occasional transfer case failure, but in the grand scheme of things those problems are actually quite rare occurrences. I did notice though that the one you're looking at is a 'launch vehicle'. Those were the very early 2011 builds and some of those are the ones included in the WC-22 campaign for the cam adjuster bolt problem, so check the VIN with a dealer for that.

Good luck with your quest! I traded my 08 CTT on a nicely equipped 11 CTT this summer and love it.

BTW, if you're interested in a 2012 model, here's one not too far from me with some really nice and rare options...... http://www.sheehylexusofannapolis.co...-MD/2831156613

Last edited by CarGuyNVA; 09-27-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are ok with the color, IMO this is the best deal on a CTT in the country at the moment. It's been out there for a little bit so there may be some wiggle room on price.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:13 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, the car linked in post#19 had a sticker of $150K according to the VIN decoder. Ad say, I think, $124,000 so way off the mark.

I'm going to change my IMO to a definitive....this is the best deal.....on a purple car.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:27 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Yep, I agree. I checked it too last night with the VIN decoder and wow, nice one!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:59 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I would;d jump all over this if i didn't get mine.

It's a good deal.

Mine was a 2011 with 15k odo, PDCC, PTV, Burmester, CPO for almost double digits less.

Quick Reply: 2011 Turbo, anything to look out for? Options?