Sponsored by:

2004 Porsche Cayenne S brake pad workshop light

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:05 PM
rting
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Porsche Cayenne S brake pad workshop light

That warning light came on yesterday. It looks like I need new brake pads.

Questions:
1. How do I know if it was front pads or read pads - or all 4 pads?
2. Since the light just came on, I can still drive for a little while until I get it into service right?
3. How much does replacing front pads / rear pads / all pads costs? As I have no bench mark.

Many thanks.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:28 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

1. You should be able to just look. If you can't see well between the spokes, use your cellphone camera to stick in there and take a look. You can also pull the wheel off to get a better look. If all else fails, take it in for an oil change at a shop that also does brake work. They will tell you because they will try to sell you the brake job.
2. Yes. Just remember that by driving too long, you risk damaging the rotors and other brake system parts. But, if you take it easy on the brakes (coast to stops, avoid slamming on the brakes), you can probably go another 500 miles before changing them.
3. Cost varies wildly. You have an S model, so 350 mm rotors. See here:
https://www.warehouse33auto.com/part...074/3/0/1684/0
Front pads start at $55 for the set all the way up to $333 for genuine Porsche pads. Personally, I bought the $55 set. Rears start at $47. Rotors start at $65 each for fronts and $45 each for rears, if you need them. BTW, use "RENNLIST" promo code to get another 10% off at Warehouse33auto.com. Great company.

Brake jobs, especially on Porsches, are really easy to DIY. In fact, they are so easy, it pisses me off whenever I get a quote from a shop trying to sell me a brake job because they charge so much for parts and labor. Rotors, for example, are basically held on by the wheels lugs. One set screw keeps them in place while the wheel is off. You can get pads and rotors for all 4 wheels, plus sensors, delivered for a grand total of $350. Figure about 4 hours to swap them out if you take your time (lots of DIY info on the web to help a novice). I'll bet the typical shop will quote you $1,500 or more for a 4 wheel pad and rotor swap.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM
ciscorp
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your dash light has come on then your brake pads will be pretty thin. If the pads after looking at them are Not thin then one of the Brake Ware Sensors, attached to the pad on each wheel, has become unplugged at the pad or has broken. This will trip the dash light too. The pads must be inspected and if they are not real thin its most likely the Sensor.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:09 PM
rting
Instructor

I've got pics of the front left and rear left calipers. The picture with the visible / in focus number "03" is the front calipers. Noticed it also has 3 pistons per side.
Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2016, 05:52 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fronts are the thin ones there. You'll be able to drive a while on those, but better to take care of it sooner than later.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:05 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Fronts are the thin ones there. You'll be able to drive a while on those, but better to take care of it sooner than later.
Concur with Tim. Not unusual for frnts to wear quicker. Buy the parts and DIY. I taught my 17 year old how to do brakes on the fronts of our '06 CS.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:19 AM
rting
Instructor

The only special tools I have is torque wrench and the car jack that came with the car. Would I have enough tools to DIY the front pads and sensors? I figured overall I may save enough for may be one more special tool.

wife is against me doing more DIY ...

will also check pelicanparts parts and local Lordco - a Canadian parts retailer. Now onto YouTube.

Quick Reply: 2004 Porsche Cayenne S brake pad workshop light