Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery question

Old 08-30-2016, 03:55 PM
dandelos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question

The battery on my 2008 GTS has recently started giving issues. We got the car 3 years ago -- we've never changed the battery and I don't know if the prior owner did.

Anyway, we've been using a hard-wired Blackvue dashcam, with a PowerMagicPro to prevent battery discharge, and recently the car has had difficulty starting up. Once we even had to call AAA for a jump. Right after the guy jumped it, he measured 62 CCA (550 rated). Since then (about 1.5 weeks), we've been driving the car with the dashcam completely disconnected.

My question is, what's the next best course of action from here on out? I understand batteries typically last 4 years so it might very well be time to just replace it. But should I just go about blindly doing that, or should I attempt to run some tests on the current battery to see if its salvageable (and if so, how do I do that)? I understand that simply driving it around, even if I go over 2000rpm would not be enough to re-charge it fully, and that I may have to buy a separate booster/charger?

And if I do replace the battery, does anyone have any recommendations on which one to get?

I also understand that the battery is under the driver-side seat. I'm not a real hands-on kind guy (though I did manage to hardwire the dashcam), but I'm up for a challenge if it's realistic, especially if it will save a few hundred vs. going to the 'stealership'.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:57 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Pull the battery and see what the date code is on it. It's actually pretty easy to do and the procedure is in your owner's manual. A quick google search will also provide you with many how to instructions including youtube videos. You will need a triple square bit for the bolts and a set can be bought at your local Advance Auto.

I'm betting you have the original factory battery which is probably ready to retire. I just replaced mine for peace of mind and it was dated '07. I typically expect 10 years out of a battery and have had them go as long as 17 years. I'd consider 4 years unacceptable even for my motorcycle batteries.

If you have an Advance Auto in your area, they are a good place to pick up a battery. Order the battery through their website to put on will call at your local store. Before completing your online order, enter a coupon code (quick Google search will turn up a ton of codes). Typically you'll find one for $50 off any order over $150.00. Drive to the store and they'll have it waiting for you. I bought their best AGM battery and the total cost was around $138.00.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 PM
dandelos
Advanced

Thanks! I found this handy video --

Looks like I'll need to pick up some specific tools first though. Will post again when I have a further update.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:06 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this, and also went with the autocraft platinum agm battery, group H8, at advance auto. $185, and code TRT30 gives you 30% off your order, up to $50. I was making a video of the process and it probably took me an hour (first time doing the job, and taking my time). Doing it again, it could take as little as 15-20 minutes after you know the tricks. These trucks can throw odd codes and generally do weird things when the batteries get low. Does your starter seem to crank more slowly than it used to? My 2008 CTT definitely cranked weakly, and there was no question the battery was on its last amp.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:08 AM
dandelos
Advanced

Originally Posted by MuffinMan
I just did this, and also went with the autocraft platinum agm battery (H8) at advance auto. $185, and code TRT30 gives you 30% off your order, up to $50. I was making a video of the process and it probably took me an hour (first time doing the job, and taking my time). Doing it again, it could take as little as 15-20 minutes after you know the tricks.

These trucks can throw odd codes and generally do weird things when the batteries get low. Does your starter seem to crank more slowly than it used to? My 2008 CTT definitely cranked weakly, and there was no question the battery was on its last amp.
Yup, it's cranking slowly/weakly. But again, hard to tell if it's simply because of battery age, or if the dashcam has been draining it over the past year or so.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:17 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

It sounds like it's time for a new battery. I believe the battery I pulled from my '08 was the original, so perhaps yours is, as well. As for the triple square sockets, I had trouble finding them locally, and ended up buying a set on Amazon for $21. The quality is acceptable, and there seem to be a few other spots (like the brakes) on this truck that use this socket type, so it's nice to have a variety of sizes.

XZN triple square socket link, in case it's helpful
http://amzn.to/2bKpzVP
Old 09-05-2016, 04:22 AM
dandelos
Advanced

It sounds like it's time for a new battery. I believe the battery I pulled from my '08 was the original, so perhaps yours is, as well. As for the triple square sockets, I had trouble finding them locally, and ended up buying a set on Amazon for $21. The quality is acceptable, and there seem to be a few other spots (like the brakes) on this truck that use this socket type, so it's nice to have a variety of sizes.

XZN triple square socket link, in case it's helpful
http://amzn.to/2bKpzVP
The guy who created the Youtube video I referenced a couple of posts up states in the description of his video, that one of the tools you'd need is a "T25 torx bit". I'm a little confused though, because I don't see where in his video where he actually used it. Nor is it mentioned in any of his 17 steps. Would you happen to know, MuffinMan?
Old 09-05-2016, 02:56 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

When you tilt the seat back, there is a battery cover fastened down. Attached to the battery cover is a plastic vent that directs the HVAC under the front seat and to the rear passenger footwell. That HVAC piece is attached to the battery cover with a T25 torx bit.

That being said, I did the job twice (don't ask), and the first time I didn't realize I needed to detach the HVAC vent. I was able to remove the battery cover and HVAC vent attached, with no real issues. The second time, I realized that was the spot of the referenced T25 torx bolt screw, and I unscrewed it to remove only the battery cover. Honestly, I think it's 6 of one and half a dozen of another in regard to detaching it. I'll get off my butt sometime this week and piece together a video, but I can take a quick picture if you need it in the meantime.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:12 PM
dandelos
Advanced

When you tilt the seat back, there is a battery cover fastened down. Attached to the battery cover is a plastic vent that directs the HVAC under the front seat and to the rear passenger footwell. That HVAC piece is attached to the battery cover with a T25 torx bit.

That being said, I did the job twice (don't ask), and the first time I didn't realize I needed to detach the HVAC vent. I was able to remove the battery cover and HVAC vent attached, with no real issues. The second time, I realized that was the spot of the referenced T25 torx bolt screw, and I unscrewed it to remove only the battery cover. Honestly, I think it's 6 of one and half a dozen of another in regard to detaching it. I'll get off my butt sometime this week and piece together a video, but I can take a quick picture if you need it in the meantime.
Thanks MM! Don't worry about the picture, I'll just go ahead and get the T25 too while I'm getting the other tools since it's cheap anyway.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:45 PM
dandelos
Advanced

I just did this, and also went with the autocraft platinum agm battery, group H8, at advance auto. $185, and code TRT30 gives you 30% off your order, up to $50. I was making a video of the process and it probably took me an hour (first time doing the job, and taking my time). Doing it again, it could take as little as 15-20 minutes after you know the tricks. These trucks can throw odd codes and generally do weird things when the batteries get low. Does your starter seem to crank more slowly than it used to? My 2008 CTT definitely cranked weakly, and there was no question the battery was on its last amp.
No Advanced Auto Parts near me, but I do have an O'Reilly just down the street. I input my truck into their website and it showed me 3 battery options --

Super Start Platinum ($184)
-CCA = 850, CA = 975
-3 yr warranty
-170 minutes reserve capacity
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...um+agm+battery

Super Start Extreme ($150)
-CCA = 900, CA = 1000
-3 yr warranty
-150 minutes reserve capacity

Super Start Premium ($143)
-CCA = 825, CA = 1000
-2 yr warranty
-135 minutes reserve capacity

No idea why it's that much more expensive than the other 2, but I can use a code to get $30 off the first battery (the threshold for the code is $175).

Anyone familiar with any of these batteries?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

The Platinum is an AGM battery, thus the extra cost. The battery I pulled out of my CTT is a Moll, which I believe is factory, and it says 850CCA on the top. I definitely wouldn't drop below that, and anything above it is a bonus.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:06 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Dandelos, I put together a video of the process, and the link is below in case it eases the project.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:08 AM
dandelos
Advanced

Dandelos, I put together a video of the process, and the link is below in case it eases the project.

DIY Porsche Cayenne Turbo (955 & 957) Battery Replacement - YouTube
Awesome video! Your son looked like he had a great time helping out too. It will definitely come in handy when I get around to changing the battery.

I ended up ordering the battery you recommended from AAP. O'Reilly's would have been the most convenient for me, but I must not have been paying attention, because the discount code I had from O'Reilly's expired yesterday. I gave it one more shot with their live chat support guy but he couldn't help so I started looking elsewhere.

Autozone has a ton of locations, some near where I live and some near my work, but had no discounts whatsoever on batteries (about $200 for a similar battery).

So I reluctantly went back to AAP. For some inexplicable reason they don't have any stores centrally located in LA (relative to me, of course) that carry the battery. I'll be 11 miles away from one of their stores this weekends so I figured I would make the detour and pick the battery up from there. The tools I ordered will only arrive next week, though.

Thanks for the recommendation and the discount code, it is a great price at the end of the day.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:01 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Thank you for the compliment on the video, incorporating my son helps combine a few of my passions (cars, technology/cinematography, family), and he seems to have a good time doing it.

It sounds like you're all set, despite the inconvenient retail location. One thing to keep in mind is there is a $20 core charge for your old battery, so you may want to remove the old battery first and take it with you to pickup the new battery, avoiding a return trip. That isn't the ideal solution since it's nice just to finish it all in one go, but it might save you some travel time as long as there is an available second vehicle to make the battery run.

Shoot over any questions if you hit a snag in the process.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:24 AM
maxcayenne
Intermediate

MuffinMan I am new to Cayenne and loved your video with step by step and detailed instructions. Also saw your tire change video. Do you plan to do a video of oil and filter change on your cayenne? That would be awesome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery question