Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:03 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts
Default 2013 GTS is PTV Standard?

I'm a bit confused on this.

Looking to trade my 2015 Macan Turbo for a CPO 2013 Cayenne GTS...

Need a little more room and love the look of the GTS although I haven't had a test drive yet.

In reading a C&D review I got the impression the PTV was standard but in looking through some threads here I think it may be an option.

I am also kicking around the idea of a 2011 CTT instead ...seems most the the GTS's are lower optioned. I do like the idea of a normally aspirated motor.

Bang for teh buck it seems the turbo's are the steal as they tend to have far higher original stickers but I really like the idea of the "driver's" GTS.

Thanks for any thoughts.

BTW left my 993 heavily modded track car for the Macan, which I love but don't really get to stretch that much as it pretty flat and boring where I live so I have put most of my 20,000 miles on the Macan with highway driving.

Thanks.

Jamie
Old 08-28-2016, 09:02 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by jford
I am also kicking around the idea of a 2011 CTT instead ...seems most the the GTS's are lower optioned. I do like the idea of a normally aspirated motor.

Bang for teh buck it seems the turbo's are the steal as they tend to have far higher original stickers but I really like the idea of the "driver's" GTS.
What is it you prefer with a "naturally aspirated motor" when it comes to the Cayenne? The GTS and Turbo both have the same 4.8l engine... one is just a heck of a lot more powerful!!

The GTS is more of a "looks" package versus a performance package when it comes to the 958 Cayenne. A Cayenne Turbo is usually optioned better which in the used car realm gets you a lot more car for a similar price, unlike when buying new. Plus, a Cayenne Turbo has way more engine to pull the mass of the bigger machine, and the Turbo is often coupled with the PDCC and PTV options - PDCC being the most impactful in the handling department on and off the road. Though PTV gets you a rear locking differential like the old Off-Road Technic Package in the 957's. If you're dying for the GTS "look" but want the Turbo power and have the money, look to get a Turbo S. It's a GTS "look" with the Turbo power.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:56 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
What is it you prefer with a "naturally aspirated motor" when it comes to the Cayenne? The GTS and Turbo both have the same 4.8l engine... one is just a heck of a lot more powerful!!

The GTS is more of a "looks" package versus a performance package when it comes to the 958 Cayenne. A Cayenne Turbo is usually optioned better which in the used car realm gets you a lot more car for a similar price, unlike when buying new. Plus, a Cayenne Turbo has way more engine to pull the mass of the bigger machine, and the Turbo is often coupled with the PDCC and PTV options - PDCC being the most impactful in the handling department on and off the road. Though PTV gets you a rear locking differential like the old Off-Road Technic Package in the 957's. If you're dying for the GTS "look" but want the Turbo power and have the money, look to get a Turbo S. It's a GTS "look" with the Turbo power.
Truthfully I need to drive both. I really like the macan but not so much the engine note. The pdk is amazing.

Regarding the gts and the normally aspirated motor , I may be getting swayed by comments here relating to it being some sort of nostalgic deal.

I imagine 991.1's will be viewed in such a manner soon if not already.

Turbos by far offer the best deal..the one listed here in the classifieds last week was a cpo deal with sticker of 142k selling for 50k. Missed it by a day.

I should drive a few and be patient although I under a time constraint unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:02 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I should drive a few and be patient although I under a time constraint unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback.
You can always add aero skirts, big wide wheels, and a noisy muffler to a Turbo but you can't add the amount of OOMPH a turbo has to a GTS!
Old 08-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently went through this decision making process myself. The first GTS I drove was very heavily optioned and had PTV and PDCC and at the time regretted not buying it. I kept looking for a similarly optioned GTS and couldn't find one. In the process, I came to understand that for the price of a moderately optioned 2013 GTS, I could get a well optioned 2012 CTT.

I ended up with a 2012 CTT and while it is not a throaty as the GTS and lacks the nice body kit but is fast as hell and handles so well that it's sick. And it does still have a nice growl to it. If I keep it longer term after the CPO expires I may do a cat bypass to make it a little meaner sounding and get a couple of ponies.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joel 67
I recently went through this decision making process myself. The first GTS I drove was very heavily optioned and had PTV and PDCC and at the time regretted not buying it. I kept looking for a similarly optioned GTS and couldn't find one. In the process, I came to understand that for the price of a moderately optioned 2013 GTS, I could get a well optioned 2012 CTT.

I ended up with a 2012 CTT and while it is not a throaty as the GTS and lacks the nice body kit but is fast as hell and handles so well that it's sick. And it does still have a nice growl to it. If I keep it longer term after the CPO expires I may do a cat bypass to make it a little meaner sounding and get a couple of ponies.
I've figured out that PTV is not standard.

You're post echoes my exact situation to a T. If I knew last week what I know now, I'd be driving the heavily optioned cpo turbo. Nationwide search reveals lots of LCA, walnurlt, adaptive druise, etc. but not much, if any, PTV or PDCC.

Unfortunately what has been seen cannot be unseen. ..lol.

That being said I'm starting to think PTV and PDCC equipped cars are pretty rare and don't have months to search/wait.

I literally looked at almost every gts, turbo and Turbo s on the porsche vehicle locator and don't think I saw even one equipped as such. Disclaimer...I only searched up to 2014 model years for pricing reasons.

I'll add too that I'm only looking for gray, silver or black..although that doesn't limit me too much.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:07 PM
Joel 67
Racer

That being said I'm starting to think PTV and PDCC equipped cars are pretty rare and don't have months to search/wait.
If you set up a search agent on cars and autotrader you can find these things as they post up. FYI, these options are often bundled in the sport package and may not show up as separate line items in the VIN decoders.

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2016, 01:08 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes and sport package usually also gets you the nice steering wheel with paddle shifters
Old 08-29-2016, 01:42 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for tip...I've been using a Vin decoder..I'll
look for the sport package.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:46 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

When I was shopping for a used 958 CTT earlier this summer, I too noticed after a lot of research and hunting nationwide that PTV+ and PDCC equipped vehicles were quite rare. I got lucky and finally came across a nice 2011 that was traded by the original owner for a new CTT at a Porsche dealer close by. It has the Sport Package. I highly recommend waiting to find one with these options. They DO make a noticeable driving difference. Good luck with your quest!
Old 08-29-2016, 11:03 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
When I was shopping for a used 958 CTT earlier this summer, I too noticed after a lot of research and hunting nationwide that PTV+ and PDCC equipped vehicles were quite rare. I got lucky and finally came across a nice 2011 that was traded by the original owner for a new CTT at a Porsche dealer close by. It has the Sport Package. I highly recommend waiting to find one with these options. They DO make a noticeable driving difference. Good luck with your quest!
Unfortunately, I'm up against the clock as I need to lower my car payment for a re-fi. The savings will be well worth the hassle and hit I am taking on my Macan.

First world problem for sure.

I am going to have to find the cleanest, best deal I can find and make a move. If I'd not seen the CPO Trubo deal last week, I'd probably be better off.

If I find I love the Cayenne I may just start searching again in a few months and deal with whatever fallout comes from another trade.

2013 GTS, lightly optioned (aren't they all?) CPO til 5/2019 with 35,000 for $55,000 seam like a fair deal? The trade offer is in line with everyone else.

No PTV or PDCC.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:04 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Went through this myself just a month back. We had an 08 GTS and were looking to upgrade into a 958 GTS. Ended up with a Macan GTS. Some notes that may help you:

1. Look for an msrp of $108 or higher build package on a 958 GTS. Those trucks typically come with the "good" option packages. Those that came with a 92-105 MSRP felt "naked" to me. You may not care/want the additional options but we did and found those with the 108 and higher MSRP had really nice option packages.

2. If you want more power - Turbo. If you want more "luxury" - Turbo. If you want sportier package with sportier handling - GTS. Obviously you're going to find the anomalies out there but on average, this is what I've found.

3. 55k for a 13 with 35 including CPO is not bad. We had budgeted ~65k for a 13/14 with around that many miles so I think you're in the ballpark.

4. No PDCC is something I would REALLY think hard about. I'm actually surprised you found a GTS without it. We had it on our 08 and have it on our Macan GTS, makes a HUGE difference to us in ride quality. Doesn't mean it will to you but it does to us and assume it will help with resale.

You can find a heavily optioned GTS/Turbo out there within your budget. Just don't be tempted to settle for convenience. Just too many choices for your money to settle on something you don't love. If you do love it, go for it!

Best of luck!

KS
Old 08-30-2016, 01:20 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ksozay
Went through this myself just a month back. We had an 08 GTS and were looking to upgrade into a 958 GTS. Ended up with a Macan GTS. Some notes that may help you:

1. Look for an msrp of $108 or higher build package on a 958 GTS. Those trucks typically come with the "good" option packages. Those that came with a 92-105 MSRP felt "naked" to me. You may not care/want the additional options but we did and found those with the 108 and higher MSRP had really nice option packages.

2. If you want more power - Turbo. If you want more "luxury" - Turbo. If you want sportier package with sportier handling - GTS. Obviously you're going to find the anomalies out there but on average, this is what I've found.

3. 55k for a 13 with 35 including CPO is not bad. We had budgeted ~65k for a 13/14 with around that many miles so I think you're in the ballpark.

4. No PDCC is something I would REALLY think hard about. I'm actually surprised you found a GTS without it. We had it on our 08 and have it on our Macan GTS, makes a HUGE difference to us in ride quality. Doesn't mean it will to you but it does to us and assume it will help with resale.

You can find a heavily optioned GTS/Turbo out there within your budget. Just don't be tempted to settle for convenience. Just too many choices for your money to settle on something you don't love. If you do love it, go for it!

Best of luck!

KS
To be honest I can't find a GTS with the PDCC, unfortunately. There are a few with the PTV. Most of the cars I'm seeing are right about 96K MSRP ...it would seem that the GTS's are not being optioned up too much.

Turbo MSRP's are all over the place although finding one with PDCC is still not easy. I would love to know what % of these cars even come with it to start....I am guessing not many.

I appreciate the feedback on the GTS.

There is a similarly optioned one right up the road from me for about $50K but no CPO and warranty will be gone by about the 3rd day I have it as it's just a tick or two under 50,000 miles.

Nervous about being out of warranty but it's $5,000 less.

I think I might just get one now and then get the turbo S of my dreams in a year to 18 months when, judging from current pricing, 2014's should be falling into the high 50's to low 60's with all the bells and whistles along with CPO.

There will be some pain here but, heck, I'm still driving an amazing car either way.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Couple of observations ...

Seems like the GTS holds it's value a bit better than the CTT, I'm not sure if it's because people want that last naturally aspirated model or what but I learned that there are waaaaayyy more well optioned CTTs than GTSs, and at better relative prices. I ended up paying $48k for a '12 CPO'd with a 130k sticker and all the goodies I wanted and some I didn't (PDCC, Premium Plus, Burmester, etc.). Every GTS I looked at was priced similarly to that CTT (and some were more expensive despite the lower MSRP).

Also, for the local one with almost 50k miles, if it is at a Porsche dealer you can try to have them CPO it. The vehicle I bought was not originally a CPO but I negotiated that the dealer CPO it as it is my first Porsche and I wanted that piece of mind. I'd expect the dealer to value the CPO as $2-3k on the purchase price, which is probably cheaper and better for you than a 3rd party warranty like Fidelity or the like.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joel 67
Couple of observations ...

Seems like the GTS holds it's value a bit better than the CTT, I'm not sure if it's because people want that last naturally aspirated model or what but I learned that there are waaaaayyy more well optioned CTTs than GTSs, and at better relative prices. I ended up paying $48k for a '12 CPO'd with a 130k sticker and all the goodies I wanted and some I didn't (PDCC, Premium Plus, Burmester, etc.). Every GTS I looked at was priced similarly to that CTT (and some were more expensive despite the lower MSRP).

Also, for the local one with almost 50k miles, if it is at a Porsche dealer you can try to have them CPO it. The vehicle I bought was not originally a CPO but I negotiated that the dealer CPO it as it is my first Porsche and I wanted that piece of mind. I'd expect the dealer to value the CPO as $2-3k on the purchase price, which is probably cheaper and better for you than a 3rd party warranty like Fidelity or the like.
This jives exactly with my findings. I also talked to a dealer about CPO'ing a car they had in stock and they quoted me $2500 which is a good deal I should think.

Your turbo deal sounds right in line with the one that sold last week in the classifieds here...congrats!

Quick Reply: 2013 GTS is PTV Standard?