Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to buy 2009 CTTS but worried about rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 AM
scallyk9
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to buy 2009 CTTS but worried about rotors?

I recently checked out an '09 Cayenne Turbo S (4800 miles) and trading my '06 S Titanium (90k miles). Condition of both appears about the same with the 06 being exceptional for it's age. Surprisingly, the TS actually lacks a few features but has a few others (21 inch wheels, pano roof). The newer one looks excellent but after the dealership closed I went back and found worn rotors with about 3 mm lips on all four inner/outer edges. CARFAX is showing all the right stuff, prior owner wise, but doesn't show a 40k service where I think this would have been caught. I may be negotiating price tomorrow and wonder what is a cost range for this repair and the 40k service? Any good guesses?
Old 08-27-2016, 08:25 AM
drift1492
Intermediate

Negotiate a price and then accept their best offer with the condition that they replace the dangerously worn rotors.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:56 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Front brakes should, wild guess, last more like 60k miles but obviously depends on driving. It's almost surely still running on the original coils as well, so another set of plugs and coils would be in order. But it's a joy to drive a TTS knowing it's well sorted. Agree, just negotiate a price you can all accept. They'd be hard pressed to find someone buying an out of warranty TTS who doesn't know about the brakes, so they should be expecting it .
Old 08-28-2016, 02:09 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

And during the negotiations the dealer may try to say that the front brake service is $3K but you need to remind them that their cost is not retail and it is only about half that in the negotiation. Also, how are the rear brakes?
Old 08-30-2016, 11:08 AM
nychase
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default CTTS Owner

Ok, Speaking as an owner that purchased his CTTS in May and had to negotiate the brake issues as well....

1) The brake job from a Dealer is around 4k. The absolute best you are going to do is probably 3200ish. This isn't any dealers fault, its Porsches for sticking us with front rotors that cost 700 each (OEM or OE Supplier are similar prices). What I was able to do was to get a dealer to allow me to purchase the parts from Sunset Porsche (see THIS POST) and got the dealer to install everything for 800. I'm still under a Fidelity Warranty so OEM parts were important. Again, your not going to get the OE Supplier for any cheaper anyway.

2) Fair pricing, Well I paid 37k for a very well equipped (140kmsrp without pccb) with 3 years left on warranty with 39k miles. I can say though that the price WAS 39k until my PPI revealed bad brakes and one bad horn (they all go bad).

3) You can't possibly imagine the joy of driving this thing. Unlike anything else. It simply doesn't make sense how quick it us when the turbo's spool and it takes off.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:04 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I changed the front rotors on my '09 TTS @ 85k miles, fwiw. I owned the car since ~40k miles and there are several thousand towing miles (20' box trailer) in those 45k miles of my ownership (car is now at 113k miles). The front rotors are huge and should last a long time with normal braking, even on the fat pig. I considered 85k miles pretty good and, though they are expensive, if you're only doing them a few times in a long ownership period it is survivable. That may be my racer budget talking, though, as I'm used to changing rotors frequently on Porsche race cars...
Old 08-30-2016, 01:41 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Not to be dick but more of a realist, if you are worried about the rotors a used cayenne is not for you. The brake job on a Cayenne is just as easy as any other car if not easier. I got 4 high carbon cryo treated rotors, ebc yellowstuff pads, all hardware/bolts, a motive bleeder, and two bottles of ATE fluid for around 900 shipped. It proved to be a very very good combo with no warping and very very light fade after succesive high speed stops.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:23 PM
scallyk9
Intermediate

Thanks for the information. Just what I was looking for. The approximate cost so I had my ducks in a row at the bargaining table. I'd call the general condition to be excellent (paint, interior, wheels) but a few other smaller items are surprisingly poor for only 48k miles, IMO; missing center visor, right side mirror won't adjust, rear camera door won't open, missing roof rail inserts, botched headlamp lens polish job. But with some options I don't care about like Pano roof, I'm just trying to gauge this 2009 Turbo S vs. my loaded 1006 S Titanium with everything working and sorted. My other two cars are turbos, I love them and want a matching trifecta, plus I've driven the virtues of PDCC.

Still wondering why they are so worn at only 48k miles.

Mr. Haney, no offense taken. I've done brakes before and even converted rear drums to discs on my '85 XR4Ti.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy 2009 CTTS but worried about rotors?