Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S E-Hybrid preferred NEMA Plug

Old 08-24-2016, 12:34 PM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Default S E-Hybrid preferred NEMA Plug

In searching for my PSEH, I might ask the dealer to switch out the NEMA plug if I end up buying at a dealership. Is there a preferred plug that gives me the highest chance of finding an outlet when I am out looking for a change?

Chances are I am keeping the Porsche charging unit at home most times and will only charge at J1772 stations, but I noticed some places like hotels offer NEMA outlets.

6-30 - ???
14-30 - Appliance plug found at most homes
14-50 - 50 AMP capable, commonly found at RV hookup sites
Old 08-24-2016, 10:50 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mdosu
In searching for my PSEH, I might ask the dealer to switch out the NEMA plug if I end up buying at a dealership. Is there a preferred plug that gives me the highest chance of finding an outlet when I am out looking for a change?

Chances are I am keeping the Porsche charging unit at home most times and will only charge at J1772 stations, but I noticed some places like hotels offer NEMA outlets.

6-30 - ???
6-30 - ???

These are the electrical outlets to which the charger connects...J1772 is what plugs into the vehicle. J1772 is a quasi de-facto connector - Tesla and maybe a few others use something different so you'll have a pretty high probability that a hotel, if they have an outlet, it will have a J1772 connector.

See here for more info:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...NGINECHAR.html
Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 AM
mdosu
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
6-30 - ???

These are the electrical outlets to which the charger connects...J1772 is what plugs into the vehicle. J1772 is a quasi de-facto connector - Tesla and maybe a few others use something different so you'll have a pretty high probability that a hotel, if they have an outlet, it will have a J1772 connector.

See here for more info:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...NGINECHAR.html
Thanks for the reply. I am aware J1772 is the de facto standard outside of Tesla for the plug into the car.

I am asking what is a wall plug that's got highest probability of finding in urban areas. Plugshare app shows locations where only NEMA outlets are available.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2016, 08:30 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mdosu
Thanks for the reply. I am aware J1772 is the de facto standard outside of Tesla for the plug into the car.

I am asking what is a wall plug that's got highest probability of finding in urban areas. Plugshare app shows locations where only NEMA outlets are available.

Thanks
From the Suncoast info:

NEMA 14-50 For North American charging with 240V wall plug (240v plugs are oversize, typically used at car charging stations).

NEMA 6-50 For North American charging with 240V wall plug (240v plugs are oversize, typically used for home appliances).

My car came with all the cables - if you have them, I'd just carry them until you check out some locations and see what is most commonly used.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:15 PM
mdosu
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
From the Suncoast info:

NEMA 14-50 For North American charging with 240V wall plug (240v plugs are oversize, typically used at car charging stations).

NEMA 6-50 For North American charging with 240V wall plug (240v plugs are oversize, typically used for home appliances).

My car came with all the cables - if you have them, I'd just carry them until you check out some locations and see what is most commonly used.
Thanks! That's interesting, and I didn't notice that text. I also realized that the default NEMA plug from Porsche wasn't on my list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S E-Hybrid preferred NEMA Plug