Sponsored by:

Trade in values are a bummer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trade in values are a bummer.

I have recently thought about trading in my 06 S and have been offered 10k for my car. I guess I was delusional as to the value and thought it would be more. I have owned the car for the last seven years and it only has 66k miles. All options to include premium leather, wood trim, rear camera, Nav, etc. I have done the coolant pipes, carden shaft and replaced the brakes not too long ago. Seems dealers don't really consider options or condition and lump all Cayennes together to include V6 base models.
Probably just wind up keeping the car, appears to be worth more to me than anyone is willing to pay.
Sorry for the rant.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:03 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Agreed, except in my experience 10k on trade is actually pretty generous. I was offered $2500 on trade recently, this one is an 04 turbo. Definitely has more value in my garage; still love driving it.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:52 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are really short changing you. NADA shows rough trade at $12k. You get $4500 for mileage. Retail is $19k and I guarantee they are not going to sell one with low miles in good shape for less than $15k.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:16 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Some dealers don't like to deal with trade-ins as part of their used car inventory because the actual condition of the trade-in is an unknown to them. Instead of keeping someone on staff that can evaluate trade-ins and staff to repair trade-ins they immediately sell them off to wholesalers and only offer what they can get from their wholesaler. Especially if they are a new car dealer. Their used car inventory is really made up of cars that help their sales staff nudge buyers towards a new car.

Currently looking at an 06 titainium S, valued at 13K personal, 17K dealer.

Is your 06 S a Titainum Edition with the lighter gauge faces? Does it have cornering lights, trailer hitch and air suspension? If so, what color, I would be interested and would give more than 10K.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:04 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Sorry, Mine is not the Ti edition and does not have the air suspension. It does have Xenon light with cornering lights and Curt trailer hitch and wiring added. It is sand white with sand beige interior, all leather interior to include door panels center console and dash, Porsche crests on headrests. Wood inlays on the doors, dash and center console with wood shift lever as well. NAV, CD changer, dual air, OEM rear camera, turbo exhaust tips, lighted door sills, power seats and steering wheel with memory, Kessy, 20"sport technos with DWS tires, roof rack (not currently on car). The dealer is up to 12k now, we will see if they go any higher.

I know you will think I am crazy but am looking at a 2014 Audi A4 premium plus, SLine with sport package, MMI, and is well optioned. I had an Audi prior to the Cayenne and was just thinking about a change of scenery although I still enjoy the Cayenne.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Early P!gs are rock bottom now, and it's not going to get better. You bought it used, so you didn't take the big hit. Take the $12k and move on.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:55 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

We are at the mercy of the current auction results. I was informed by a brand X dealer that my trade could not be valued until the most recent auction results were released, later in the day.

Try Carmax, they auction cars that don't qualify for their lots.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:09 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Currently looking at an 06 titainium S, valued at 13K personal, 17K dealer.

Is your 06 S a Titainum Edition with the lighter gauge faces? Does it have cornering lights, trailer hitch and air suspension? If so, what color, I would be interested and would give more than 10K.
Mine is a Titanium with the white gauge faces, cornering lights, and tow package. No air suspension. Another I looked at just like this one was listed at $13,300. I see private ones (at least they say they are private) for $14 - 15k which is too high. Thing here in Texas is they think their trucks are worth more than reality.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had far better luck just selling my vehicles to places like Carmax over trading in. My last two vehicles I sold ended up getting sold to Texas Direct, they were $500ish more than Carmax in their offers. One of those cars I tried selling for almost a year before giving up and trying the Carmax route at which point I discovered some places will beat a Carmax quote. Only downside is here in Texas if you trade a vehicle in on another vehicle then you get a tax savings, so both times I missed out on that but both times my replacements came from out of State anyway so never saw that savings.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

My 06 tit s 98,000 car max $10k
Old 08-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Thanks for everyone's input, Appears the dealer is about right, I guess I am just emotionally attached. Seems like I may move forward with the trade before it depreciates some more by the end of the day.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:54 PM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm guessing $10k is the manheim (dealer only auctions) average prices for your model year and mileage. I'm guessing, they sell for about $13k retail. Your dealer (not sure if Porsche dealer), probably doesn't want to be bothered with selling it and prefer to not lose money and recycle it into the auction system. If this isn't a Porsche dealer, then it's the most likely scenario.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

It is actually a Honda dealer. I would agree that due to the age, they probably will not keep in the lot and will either auction of wholesale the vehicle.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:51 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Km1.8t
It is actually a Honda dealer. I would agree that due to the age, they probably will not keep in the lot and will either auction of wholesale the vehicle.
Bingo. Most new car dealers are not going to put a 10 year old SUV on their lot. So they will offer you what they think they can get for it, plus a bit to cover costs and make a bit of money.

Remember too, when it comes to wholesale/auction value only the specific model, condition, and miles effect price. Options, no matter how costly when new - or how desirable - do not increase value.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:18 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look on craigslist and cars.com...

Cayennes can easily be bought for 10-15,000$ They are incredibly cheap to buy....

Toyotas have higher resale value it seems...

Quick Reply: Trade in values are a bummer.