Sponsored By:

Most useful options for a 958

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tigger1197
The annoying part is you can't have the sport chrono and the compass.
In the Cayenne, is SC just the clock - or does it come with other goodies like in the 991 etc.?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:55 AM
blue1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
How difficult is it to retrofit fender flares? Best of luck with your search!
I just install extended arches on my S. they came off a turbo. They were very easy to install just remove the arch liners and remove a whole lot of screws. Took less than an hour each wheel. Because I got mine off a Turbo I needed a couple of extra screws each arch. The S just had push on clips but I all the rest of the hardware was there.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by mdosu
Nah, an actual compass. I don't want Sport Chrono, and that is a rare option on the SEH anyways...so instead of the clock, it'll be nice to have another gadget that I can brag about to my friends
I just press the "Info" button on my PCM and a compass (and trip recorder) pop up on my PCM screen. Works fine for my needs..
Old 08-05-2016, 01:29 PM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by blue1
I just install extended arches on my S. they came off a turbo. They were very easy to install just remove the arch liners and remove a whole lot of screws. Took less than an hour each wheel. Because I got mine off a Turbo I needed a couple of extra screws each arch. The S just had push on clips but I all the rest of the hardware was there.
this is useful to know. So they are screws you can reuse from the wheel fender liner?

On my X5, they are one-time use rivets, so to do it on the X5, you'll need to buy a whole set of rivets and a rivet gun/tool.

Also, does the 958 have the same arch extension as the 957s? do you have a picture of your final work?
Old 08-05-2016, 03:22 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I just press the "Info" button on my PCM and a compass (and trip recorder) pop up on my PCM screen. Works fine for my needs..
Thnx Don. Speaking of a Compass, you prompted me to press a few more buttons than I normally do. I've always thought it strange that the Cayenne didn't have a quick easy to reference compass displayed somewhere on the dash (maybe even on my gauge display cluster as a "always there" type thing). I don't like that I have to hit the "Map" button just to see that little arrow in the upper right showing me which direction is North. Much prefer all the rest of vehicles out there these days, which simply tell you which direction you are currently heading (N, S, E, W). Oh well,... the Germans making it tough on us again.

But I did notice something different from what you posted above. With my PCM v3.43, when I hit the "Info" button, I then have to touch the PCM screen & choose "Location Info" in order to see the data on where I am currently located (still not a "compass"),... and it shows me latitude / longitude,.. which brings me to my question: ....

Just a few spaces to the right of latitude/longitude, there is a notation of "20 Ft". Typically that data field shown on other map data (just after Latt/Long) is "Elevation". Could the Cayenne really be telling me how many feet above sea level I am?
20 Ft is just about correct for where I am sitting at this moment,... but that would be impressive if it is accurate. Also surprised it does not use Meters as a metrics measurement of elevation.

I will now be checking that data more often as I'm driving around. Love to hear from the Colorado guys, to see what their Elevation readings are saying!!

Thanks guys. Interesting tid bits.
=Steve
Old 08-05-2016, 03:45 PM
mtvp
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
What? - No second hand to fall off? Whazzup with that?
Hey ,I just had my MY 14 base clock replaced. The new and improved clock ( $700.00 +) . It looks like there is some distance between the hour hand and the second hand when it gets between 5 and 7 . No more contact, stay tuned !
Old 08-05-2016, 04:34 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve -

On my 958.2 GTS, I can have elevation displayed on the configurable dash display along with compass direction.

It was fun setting it up this way as we drove through Death Valley!
Old 08-05-2016, 07:02 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Thnx SteveC & DonE,... bounced thru some of those screens & now I see what you're talking about.

Reconfigured it so I can see the Compass in the "upper" section (above line) but in doing so, meant I had to reshuffle the rest of the lines. Something had to give. Oh well (limited lines).
I really liked seeing the # of miles remaining on my tank of gas too (at the very top), so now had to move that down as one of the 4 lines.

Thnx guys. This forum rocks. I've had this thing for 1.5 yrs, and kinda got complacent with which options I was viewing. I really like seeing my turbo boost pressure & of course oil temp & pressure too. I know we have the analog gauges over on the left,... but the steering wheel blocks my view of those.

=Steve
Old 08-05-2016, 10:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by caronsd
Steve -

On my 958.2 GTS, I can have elevation displayed on the configurable dash display along with compass direction.

It was fun setting it up this way as we drove through Death Valley!
Indeed - I have boost, miles remaining, compass, volts, and phone showing on the multi-instrument display in the dash. I didn't feel the need for the temperature readouts since those are already in the instrument cluster as dedicated instruments, and I miss the voltmeter that was on my 955...

My multi-display setup in the dash.

The PCM compass display..

What time of year was that? 90F sounds almost reasonable for Death Valley..
Old 08-07-2016, 03:57 AM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a nice day in Death Valley - on our way to Vegas from Monterey and tried to keep off Interstates as much as possible. It was late April..... probably around mid-day....
Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a close look on the 958 Turbos and GTS on a dealer lot over the weekend. The extended wheel arches are much less pronounced than it appears on the promotional pictures in Porsche press releases.

Am I correct to assume, the extended wheels arches AND the side skirts are the same as the full "SportDesign" exterior body package?

Quick Reply: Most useful options for a 958