Intro on my new CTT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 03:34 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Intro on my new CTT

Hi All,

I made my introduction in the buy a high mileage Cayenne thread. I ended up throwing caution to the wind and picking up this 2-owner, 100% dealer serviced 2006 CTT with about 175K miles on the clock:

It need(s) a good scrub on the interior - I've already exhausted one bottle of Porsche's leather cleaner - mostly because the prior owners' detailer must have had lexol flowing through his veins. Upside is the leather is in great condition, including the driver's seat/bolsters. Downside is the car smells like a Lexol granade went off inside.

Regarding work I think may need to be done in the near future:

- Fuel Pumps/Filters. I detect a faint smell of gasoline when I turn the car off. Additionally, I didn't drive the car all week, and when I took her out for a spin yesterday the "refuel now" sign was on. Wasn't on when I parked it. This has happened 2x times now, which makes me think the rubber rings are shot. Additionally, the battery was replaced less than 3K miles/6 months ago I think the car is having a hard time starting. Has not been an issue to date, but I hold my breath each time I start the car. This makes me think fuel pump/filter. I have kept the car on my trickle charger to boot, just to make sure it's not an electrical issue. Starter motor may also be a culprit.

- Rear Camera. Works intermittantly. The Alpine Nav unit is pretty awesome; touch screen, tons of features, etc, but I think the camera is starting wear out. I'm hoping this is an easy unplug/plug new camera event, but will investigate further.

And that's about it. Took her out on a great drive to Marin last weekend that ended in a picnic out the back in Tiburon looking at the ships coming and going through the Golden Gate.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:32 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ..Congrats ..great to hear still going with those miles
Old 07-14-2016, 08:44 PM
WarpedWheel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Hopefully it proves to be a nice reliable rig for you.
What "hard time starting" issues do you experience. If it's slow/labored cranking it's not the injectors or the pump. If it's cranking fast it's not going to be the starter (unless it's intermittent).
Old 07-15-2016, 12:22 PM
dhc905
Banned

WW, I'll make a video and post it. It actually seemed a lot like the prior CTT that I test drove that worried me.

I also gave the car leather a deep clean yesterday. Found a fair number of Mikes and Ikes, Gobstoppers, quarters, and kids toys. Also, there's leather everywhere; almost too much of it.

Also in my cleaning frenzy, I noticed that there is a vented trim piece that is located in the rear door jam of the driver's side that's come out of place. Every time I close the driver's door, it pushes this trim piece about 1/2" out of where it is supposed to be. I'm thinking there's a mis-aligned clip or something similar.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:30 AM
dhc905
Banned

https://youtu.be/yOWz4n7jUwU

Startup video. Just seems labored to me.

Originally Posted by dhc905
WW, I'll make a video and post it. It actually seemed a lot like the prior CTT that I test drove that worried me.

I also gave the car leather a deep clean yesterday. Found a fair number of Mikes and Ikes, Gobstoppers, quarters, and kids toys. Also, there's leather everywhere; almost too much of it.

Also in my cleaning frenzy, I noticed that there is a vented trim piece that is located in the rear door jam of the driver's side that's come out of place. Every time I close the driver's door, it pushes this trim piece about 1/2" out of where it is supposed to be. I'm thinking there's a mis-aligned clip or something similar.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 PM
dhc905
Banned

Is this door panel crease weight-bearing or just where the spoiler is glued on?

I have a bike rack that I bought on my Ct200h that fits into the crease of the trunk door, almost identical to what's on the Cayenne (pictured above). However, I can't fully tell whether the visible door panel gap is weight bearing or not, and I don't want to lose my bikes and spoiler in the process of verifying.

This is what I've got - stock photo shows it SHOULD work, but if anyone has authority on this, that would be great.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:11 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Good question. Just bought the same rack for son's Camry and I might want to borrow it from him some time. The Thule manual at the shop said it's compatible with the 955 but I'm not sure about the strength of the spoiler/hatch door junction.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:35 AM
dhc905
Banned

Bump, guess I'm just going to find out. Looking at it when the gate is open makes me think it's actually the spoiler as the actual metal part of the lift gate is tucked inside. Question will be whether the spoiler can handle it!

Originally Posted by CTTS520
Good question. Just bought the same rack for son's Camry and I might want to borrow it from him some time. The Thule manual at the shop said it's compatible with the 955 but I'm not sure about the strength of the spoiler/hatch door junction.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry can't help with the recommendation on the rack. That seems like a lot of weight on a plastic spoiler though.

I use a hitch mounted rack so I don't have anything touching the back. All the weight is held securely at the hitch instead of the hatch.

Bump, guess I'm just going to find out. Looking at it when the gate is open makes me think it's actually the spoiler as the actual metal part of the lift gate is tucked inside. Question will be whether the spoiler can handle it!
Old 07-23-2016, 10:12 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I installed a different make carrier on my 04S, which attached at the same points. There was no issue carrying 1 30lb bike.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:05 PM
dhc905
Banned

Got it. Didn't have any issues with two carbon road bikes driving 170 miles over varied and generally not ice-smooth roads. The Thule owner's manual does say that 03-10 Cayennes are supported and have some sort of code for the settings required to make it fit perfectly, but I couldn't figure that out in time and set it up for what seemed to be the most secure. There was some "flex" on the spoiler, but thankfully nothing happened. Will investigate further as I'd love to not have to install a hitch on the cayenne if I don't need to.

That said, I still smell gasoline every time I turn the the car off.

That that said, I seem to only have a 20 gallon tank based on my 1 fill up. I filled up with slightly over 16 gallons when the meter said it was 1/4 full so not sure where the other 6 gallons are hiding in a 26 gallon tank. I have driven over 230 miles and the tank is still 3/8th full, which would imply a 23+ MPG rate. Almost certainly not true.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:01 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Got it. Didn't have any issues with two carbon road bikes driving 170 miles over varied and generally not ice-smooth roads. The Thule owner's manual does say that 03-10 Cayennes are supported and have some sort of code for the settings required to make it fit perfectly, but I couldn't figure that out in time and set it up for what seemed to be the most secure. There was some "flex" on the spoiler, but thankfully nothing happened. Will investigate further as I'd love to not have to install a hitch on the cayenne if I don't need to.

That that said, I seem to only have a 20 gallon tank based on my 1 fill up. I filled up with slightly over 16 gallons when the meter said it was 1/4 full so not sure where the other 6 gallons are hiding in a 26 gallon tank. I have driven over 230 miles and the tank is still 3/8th full, which would imply a 23+ MPG rate. Almost certainly not true.
It is indeed 26 gallons. Right at the empty mark, long after the dummy light comes on is usually 23 gallons. There was one occasion I ended up putting in just over 25 gallons.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:36 PM
dhc905
Banned

Liking the new Llyod's mats. Had to go black on brown for stain purposes. If anyone needs a good set of tan mats let me know!
Old 07-28-2016, 11:02 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Fuel return line?
Old 07-29-2016, 01:17 AM
dhc905
Banned

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Fuel return line?
Hmm, haven't even looked into that; was going to go with the fuel flange/gasket option first as that seems like a more likely. Have a new filter, flange, L shaped flange connector, and gaskets on order.

Hoping that if I open that area up I'll clearly see if one has been leaking and proceed from there.

Quick Reply: Intro on my new CTT