Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:15 AM
Boscology
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love these android decks but the problem eventually is that the specific distributor is dependant upon for all software and hardware compatibilities and updates. Simultaneously every app wants to update and thus be incompatible.

I have not purchased from Seicaine so I cannot speak to them personally, I bought from two other companies who were helpful and wanted to solve any problems I had but when compatibility issues mostly because using an OS that is several iterations old creates a lot of problems that a company may only decide to support for a certain amount of time.

I ended up going pretty deep with it all and you can find more information than you could read in a lifetime on xdaforums.com but I found the amount of work keeping up with it for years not to be worth the truthfully very significant enjoyment I got out of them. Its not these companies faults, what we're talking about is a car PC that gets outdated and obsolete, the hardware limits how far it will even let you update android.

All of this being said, If these do continue to work for everyone I will probably get one even if it is only in the hopes of having it for 2 years
Old 01-04-2017, 03:15 AM
psoma
Rennlist Member

Hey nodoors,

I've purchased the reversing cam for my setup as well (hasn't arrived yet)... hadn't counted on the CANBUS providing the signal, I assumed it would just get a 12V feed from the reversing lights.

*shrug* something to try.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 01-04-2017, 05:36 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Tom, keep me posted on your findings, please. I did notice this evening that I am getting an odd behavior in Torque that I have not seen before. It is now failing to provide timing advance and boost/vacuum info, the other data is coming through just fine like rpm, AFR, coolant and trans temps, etc... I wonder if there is some sort of conflict happening because I am leaving an OBD2 dongle plugged in. I also have Torque set to launch on startup. I will be tinkering with it more tomorrow at the very least to do the hard reset and try to solve that mystery. I will look to see if there is something that resembles a loose 12v "reverse sensor" wire in the back of the unit as well.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:38 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I may go ahead and just order another reverse camera as well to see if there is a compatibility issue there. Can someone please share a link to a known working reverse camera off Amazon or ebay?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:52 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Android 6.0 would be nice upgrade. There is zero info on the seicane website about 6.0. Looks like many of the descriptions have been updated, but none of the head units have updated screenshots or details updated. Nothing came up with a quick google...hopefully more info and an upgrade path soon.

FYI: Do not update the NPR-1 app. Most recent update doesn't work on mine.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:53 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boscology
I love these android decks but the problem eventually is that the specific distributor is dependant upon for all software and hardware compatibilities and updates. Simultaneously every app wants to update and thus be incompatible.

I have not purchased from Seicaine so I cannot speak to them personally, I bought from two other companies who were helpful and wanted to solve any problems I had but when compatibility issues mostly because using an OS that is several iterations old creates a lot of problems that a company may only decide to support for a certain amount of time.

I ended up going pretty deep with it all and you can find more information than you could read in a lifetime on xdaforums.com but I found the amount of work keeping up with it for years not to be worth the truthfully very significant enjoyment I got out of them. Its not these companies faults, what we're talking about is a car PC that gets outdated and obsolete, the hardware limits how far it will even let you update android.

All of this being said, If these do continue to work for everyone I will probably get one even if it is only in the hopes of having it for 2 years
Good points. After I got this running, I turned off automatic updates, and now I only update if there is a significant improvement or a fix to performance of the app. Mine has been running rock solid now for several months and I still absolutely love it. I even paid for the IQ Navi update because I love the firmware so much. The community that supports it regularly updates it and fixes problems, and so I am not worried about firmware never getting updates.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:29 AM
psoma
Rennlist Member

So I just received my Android 6 unit and have hooked it up for preliminary testing. Looks good. Really good! I'm an iPhone guy, so I don't really know what I'm doing with Android, but here are the details from the "About" menu.

Fired up with the Porsche logo. Steering wheel controls work a treat. Now to run the audio to my new JL Audio 6 channel amp. Guessing I'm going to have to run ACC+ and a few other things down there too... or is it easy enough to grab these from down back somewhere?

Question: The supplied GPS antenna isn't picking up a satellite in my garage (tin shed). Is this normal, or should I be at least picking up some kind of signal inside? Note - I mounted the GPS antenna inside the speaker grill in the dash (too ugly to window mount). I'm thinking of getting a Fakra extension and plumbing it into the original unit under the seat either way, but it would be great to know if I *have* to do this, or it's a down-the-track improvement.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 01-23-2017, 05:33 PM
gjsauser
Intermediate

I'm eager to do this to my 08' Cayenne, few questions.

The standard backup camera, I know the OP said he got it hooked up after some effort, is there a guide on how to do this? I don't want to add a second camera and chase a wire all the way through the car.

The info screen in the dash, does that display the info for what is playing? ex. Radio station, or song title?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2017, 06:07 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by gjsauser
I'm eager to do this to my 08' Cayenne, few questions.

The info screen in the dash, does that display the info for what is playing? ex. Radio station, or song title?

Thanks!
There is some information. It shows the radio station. It also shows the track number of the song in the playlist. It will also show the source: bluetooth or Aux.

Initially, I really wanted better information on the Dash, and I tried to find a way to make it work, at least for track names. Fast forward a couple of months, and I totally forgot about this desire. I am so used to looking at the screen for that information, that I don't look up at the dash anymore for it.

You've got a big beautiful color screen that shows you all the information you could possibly want. I use widgets that show the radiostation name or the album cover along with the song. Why worry about what the rinky dink orange dash LED shows?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:15 PM
hgupta
Instructor

I am using this as my background wallpaper, in dark mode and I can't recommend it enough! I get compliments on it all the time.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:03 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Originally Posted by gjsauser
...The standard backup camera, I know the OP said he got it hooked up after some effort, is there a guide on how to do this? I don't want to add a second camera and chase a wire all the way through the car....Thanks!
The Porsche "coo-coo-clock camera" looks WAY better on this screen then it ever did on the PCM2! Setup info is back on page 15 of this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post13448572

Less crop and better resolution:

Old 01-24-2017, 11:08 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Originally Posted by psoma
So I just received my Android 6 unit and have hooked it up for preliminary testing. Looks good. Really good! I'm an iPhone guy, so I don't really know what I'm doing with Android...

Question: The supplied GPS antenna isn't picking up a satellite in my garage (tin shed). Is this normal, or should I be at least picking up some kind of signal inside? ...
Congrats! can you post some more screen shots of the home screen, radio app, and bluetooth phone pages? and Yes, no GPS signal inside (or under tin) is normal.

Good luck with the audio portion of the setup!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:47 PM
williamsonoma
Advanced

anyone have a spare MOST adapter for sale?
Old 01-27-2017, 07:17 PM
psoma
Rennlist Member

So to answer a few questions:

1) Pictures of the various screens:

It looks as though the only thing that has changed is the upgrading of the base OS... Apps all seem to be the same (sorry, forgot to take a photo of the Bluetooth one... but it's the same as has already been posted). One of the annoyances I've noticed is that the FM radio TXT overlays the station name making the radio look a bit 2 bit (don't mind the look otherwise)

Most disappointingly: The iPod App does not launch. The rubbish Bluetooth audio app combined with a complete lack of ability to tether an iPhone seriously detract from the value of this unit (at least for me) at this stage.

2) Hooking up the reversing camera

So the instructions that came with the unit, are just plain wrong. If we take the two ends as the radio end and the camera end, on the radio end, you need to connect the ACC+, ACC- to the "Ingition" and earth respectively (I unscrewed a screw from the back of the radio and earthed against that), and the yellow RCA to "CAM IN". You also need to connect the blue wire to the "Reverse" output of the radio.

On the camera end, you'll need to connect the 2 obvious plugs (RCA and AC adaptor style power), as well as the blue wire to either your reversing lamps or, I just ran an additional wire from the "Reverse" connector on the back of the radio to the back of the car. The two small wires next to the camera itself operate the LED, so you need to splice these into the original reversing lamp feed when replacing it. Once you've done all of that, *then* it works a treat.

3) Some additional bits and pieces

So I replaced the BOSE amp with a JL Audio XD700/5 5 channel amp, and used the AudioLeads PC2-95-4 adaptor. The adaptor had rubbish power and earth feeds, so I cut them just before the original Porsche connector and popped them straight into the amp. I removed both the amp and stacker unit from the back and bent down the stacker side rails so I could mount the new amp flush and flat against the bottom of the OEM mount. This grants me access in future should I need to adjust levels or choose to re-wire.

In terms of speaker wiring, I went :

Channel 1+2 = front L+R to (these include the mid range door and dash tweeters) with 100Hz HPF enabled.
Channels 3+4 = rear door L+R which includes the woofer and tweeter in the back doors
Channel 5 = Front door 8" subs in series (+ of left connected to - of right). I initially had the OEM rear subs hooked up to the Sub feed of the head unit and the door subs in series with the mid/highs, but the sound from the boot floor sub was so pathetic, I didn't bother progressing. Distorted at fairly low volumes and added no kick to the music whatsoever.

I will add that this install was a right royal pain in the backside... Pulling the interior panelwork apart and running the cables through the car without them showing was not a fun exercise. I'm bruised, sliced, have a bad back and lost around 8 to 10 hours of my life. I'm glad I *did* replace the BOSE amp and enjoy being able to balance the sound F->R and having exact control over the sound balance and filtering (which was my only real concern with the MOST adaptor), but in hindsight... I would have just gone with the MOST adaptor and done without the reversing Cam

I have a couple of quick questions myself though:

1) Has anyone found a better solution for bluetooth audio playback?
2) What's a better navigation option to the iGo Primo? Not only does it tell us to turn too late on 100km/h roads (ie. within 50m of the turn) but it lead us astray yesterday much to my wife's chagrin. And death stares.
3) Is there another iPod/iPhone connectivity app available on Play Store that anyone could recommend?

I'm still considering rolling back to IQ Navi on Firmware 4.2. I'm not sure I see any value in Android 6, but I can see some things in IQ Navi I'd like to have...

Cheers all,

Tom
Old 01-28-2017, 12:33 AM
psoma
Rennlist Member

Update: DAB+ radio doesn't appear to work either. App sits on "Connecting..." screen perpetually. To say I'm less than pleased is an understatement.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review