Sponsored By:

2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:11 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power

So I have a 2016 Porsche Cayenne GTS with just over 6000 miles and I having power loss (not full power loss) not all the time. I took it in for 5000 miles service (fresh oil) and ever since this happens from time to time. It's like there's no turbo's and it may continue from time to time. The totally weird thing is that I'm not getting any codes, nothing... At first I thought that maybe I got some bad gas so I went to another Exxon station and used there 93 like always and it seemed to clear up but then the other day it did it again.. I'm at a loss. I've taken it to my dealership and at this point all they are going to do is have one of their service guys drive it home one night and drive it back (he lives about 125 miles in each direction) and see if he can duplicate it which makes no since unless he has it plugged up to a computer to record what's going on.. They are telling me that if there is no code then they cant see the problem..

Is anyone here having this problem?

Thanks
Cameron

Last edited by deilenberger; 07-15-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Added info to title
Old 03-09-2016, 09:55 PM
jay958
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont believe it
Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Jay, what don't you believe? No codes or warning light? I do. Things can happen that may not store a code or trigger a light - which is where a real mechanic is worth his weight in gold.

Cameron, on the multi-instrument cluster display, under "Vehicle" - at least on the Turbo - there is an option to display the boost pressure. That might be informative.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM
cameronl
Advanced

Don thank you. I had thought about that last week but totally forgot it.
Hopefully I'll here something today from the dealership. I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 01:25 PM
joew7777
Track Day

My wife said that she stepped down to pass and power was way, way down on her 2015 Cayenne S. It didn't stop but seemed like half power or so. I drove it a few times but it never acted up for me. No codes or anything that she noticed. After it happened a couple more times we sent back to dealer which unfortunately is 3 hrs away. They found a loose vacuum line so quick fix and no more problems since.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:42 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Thank you Joe for the info. I'll pass it on and see what they say at the dealership. I went by at lunch today since I hadn't heard from them to see how the techs drive went and got to speak to the tech himself and he said ( naturally ) it didn't happen to him during his drive last night or this morning. So he said there's two options we can do, they can keep the car and drive it and see if it happens with them or I can drive it and if it happens again come to the dealership ASAP so they can plug it in then while it's happening. I told them I would take it and drive it myself. It's crazy with the technology in cars especially with these types of cars they would be recording everything for like a two week period then erase and start all over again. O well I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks again for all the comments.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:58 PM
microrose
2nd Gear

Default 2016 Cayenne S boost issues

I bought the first one in Vegas. A month later I noticed it could not maintain speed with cruise control up a hill - it would drop 10-15 miles an hour.

Long story short - I'm getting intermittent boost from let's say 1500rpm up. At 3500 rpm it boosts great, but that's really moving. Feels like a plain old V6 without the boost and a V8 with it.

What I did is record my hill climb - factory rep noticed no boost - they took two others up the hill (brand new) same problem. Now Porsche is aware of it and my case has been escalated, but no fixes yet.

I too tried a higher octane and it helped, less intermittent.

Here's the bad thing, I took it back yesterday and wanted to trade it in on a Cayenne Turbo with the V8 - Paid 90k for mine, they said they give me 54k on my 2016 - OUCH big time - of course I told them see you later.

We absolutely love the car though - I traded up from a 2011 911 Targa 4.

If anyone hears anything let me know - I plan to take anther video with my boost showing. It's possible - since I did an oil change - saw they did a technology update - maybe, maybe - I hope so - I really want to keep this one if I can't have the Cayenne Turbo version.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:14 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Thanks Mirorose. I ended up taking it in last week(3rd time). I basically told them either they contact Porsche or I would and if I did it wouldn't be pretty. Lol so they keep my car for 3 days and put 425 plus miles on it (total now close to 1200 miles). They said they contacted Porsche and Porsche responded and say o yea we know about it and are in the progress of creating a software patch but nothing yet!!! After leaving the dealership I got to fuming so bad that I almost went and traded the car but thought better of it. I'm totally disappointed with this car. I do have to say when she's on she's on but when not she's not!!!! Once this is said and done with I will be contacting Porsche with my total disapproval of their process of handling of this problem. I know it probably won't help but it can't hurt. Stay tuned for details.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:01 PM
microrose
2nd Gear

Cameronl, Presently I'm dealing with Porsche and it's not smooth. I got them on the phone one time and it was nice, but after that it was like pulling teeth again. I can't say much now about my dealings. I did put 91 octane back in the tank and it just seems to be worse. In my opinion, it might be easier to get a Lemon law attorney. In Vegas it does not cost anything, they get their money from the manufacturer. I sent a very firm email to them today. Do they want to work with me or do I need to pursue the Lemon law - I gave them until Friday Wish me luck. In any case I don't want another Cayenne S or GTS - I may pursue a Cayenne Turbo with the V8.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:56 PM
cameronl
Advanced

Update.

Last week she reared her ugly head again and I got pissed and traded her in!!!! This has left such a bad taste in my mouth not only with Porsche but the dealership that sold me the car!!!!! I had thought about going the lemon law route but couldn't stand the thought of having to drive this car anymore. It's sucks because I would've assumed anything from Porshce and anything north of $100k you would expect one a good car two treated better from the manufacture and the dealership.

Thais whole experience has been a disaster!!!!

Sucks!!!!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I realize you traded the vehicle off but was curious if any chance you could give some more details about the symptoms?

Because I get the feeling this is the same issue my 2015 Cayenne S exhibited for 1200-1300 miles during a long road trip then did again recently for 50 miles. With mine, when the problem is present, it makes no boost unless you give it half throttle or so, or if it makes some boost with normal throttle it always is in a low gear such as 2nd and gets up to maybe 0.5 Bar then drops to 0.0 and stays there through multiple gears. It became really obvious during my road trip because with cruise control set for 80 mph any slight incline(was driving in Texas panhandle so not like mountains or hills) in the road would routinely result in vehicle trying to maintain speed but ultimately downshifting twice and slowing down up to 10 mph by time I was at the top of the incline. I took it to the dealer after my road trip and they said drove fine for them and zero codes found. I even drove the car with one of their mechanics only to discover the problem was completely gone. I will drop it off at a different dealer sometime in the next week to see if they find anything but doubting they will since problem resurfaced for all of last night then gone this morning.

The only possible commonality I could think of is perhaps the vehicle has to be running for a long time before the problem surfaces. But does not make sense it would been constant during the weekend of my road trip because only time it did not happen that weekend was one evening went out to get food and outside temps dropped from mid 80s to high 50s. One thing I noticed yesterday is the Auto Start/Stop which is typically engaging all the damn time, would not engage a single time even though none of the listed conditions in the owners manual that would stop it from working were present. I too initially thought this was maybe bad fuel related although I questioned the dealer mechanic on that specifically and he said a code would be present if bad(or simply wrong octane) fuel situation was encountered.

microrose, has the problem come back on yours after the technology update done when you had the oil change?
Old 07-18-2016, 03:14 AM
SCGuy
Intermediate

Just wanted to check...any updates here? I have the same issue...no boost and loss of speed going up a hill with cruise control on. 2016 GTS...
Old 07-18-2016, 04:23 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

As an aside to the main topic of this thread... I thought it was bad to use cruise control going up a hill?
That it kind of lugged the motor..
Old 07-18-2016, 08:26 AM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SCGuy
Just wanted to check...any updates here? I have the same issue...no boost and loss of speed going up a hill with cruise control on. 2016 GTS...
The problem will happen without using cruise control and even without a hill. Assuming your issue is the same as mine and what some others I have talked to explained with theirs. It is a failure to make any boost for low load(throttle position) which in turn causes the vehicle to not make near as much power. It just is blatantly obvious that an issue exists when using cruise controls and encountering an incline. Does not even have to be a hill, I have seen it for simple over passes.

I am still trying to figure out the recipe to make it consistently happen so I can then tell a dealer those steps when they have the vehicle. It seems in my case to take a bit of driving, like 30-40 miles, but once it happens it seems to take hours of the vehicle being turned off to go away.

I took mine to a different dealership a week ago because the issue is happening 2-3 times a week for me now. Basically the days I need to drive more than my normal routine and I see it when I pull off the freeway and drive down residential streets via watching the boost gauge but also can just tell it is making a lot less power. Dealer told me they would call Porsche if they found no codes and could not make the issue happen. The dealer told me on Wednesday to come get it because they can't find a problem, all they tried was driving maybe 10 miles away and based on a conversation with them on Tuesday they tried leaving it idling in the parking lot for 35-45 minutes. I asked the dealer if they contacted Porsche and was told after it damn near turned into an argument they will email them to see if any bulletins, my point to them was I am seeing others online with the exact symptoms so this can't be a one off issue with mine. According to Porsche North America that called me on Friday the dealership told them they will not call the factory unless they have a vehicle that they see an issue and they can't figure out. Porsche North America was also kind enough to imply I am lying about the issue and that I do not know how a turbocharged vehicle works, also their word usage changed to "if a problem exists". So I basically have gotten no where, I am planning to eventually use it for another road trip and recording the issue so at least can show them video proof.

I am beyond annoyed since bought this new beginning of May, problem happened during first road trip which was towards end of May and now to this 2-3 times per week for just daily driving needs.

Now a campaign exists for mine on the PCV system to change out some possible flawed parts. Been wondering if any chance that is the root issue. Campaign applies to some 2015/2016 S/GTS Cayennes. Dealership told me about this but did not say or imply would have anything to do with my problem.

Last edited by Snipe656; 07-18-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: iPhone typos
Old 09-29-2016, 03:29 PM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Wanted to raise my hand and say that I am seeing the same issue on my 2015 Cayenne S. Dropping 10mph on hills found on the freeway.

Has anyone managed to get any possible resolutions?

Quick Reply: 2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power