Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Porsche says I need new Pano Roof because the actuator is out!

Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 PM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HELP! Porsche says I need new Pano Roof because the actuator is out!

They say you can't replace just the actuator. The Service guy says he called Porsche HQ maybe? and they said the whole roof has to be replaced! $10K! Not to mention they roof will not close, the panel over the driver's head is stuck open! Can anyone give me any options? Any cheaper options? Time is of the essence! Thanks All! 2008 GTS no warranty.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Least expensive would be to get mechanic to manually close and then forget you ever had it. Maybe also see if selling dealer will offer any goodwill price accommodation. God luck.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:05 PM
kino1161
Pro

Dealer says they can't even close it. They said the last panel will not move. That last panel above the driver's head is open. Why can't it be closed.. somehow? If someone knows a trick to close it please let me know. The manual close doesn't work. The re-sync doesn't work. I'm in dire straits. Supposed to be leaving (driving) on a X-mas trip next week. Purchased from private seller.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't have this option but if the manual close does not work the glass must be hung up on ?

If this was my truck I would use a glass grip

Amazon.com: Toolocity ASVC8858B1  8-Inch Adt Vacuum Suction Cup with Lexan Handle for Granite/Glass: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Toolocity ASVC8858B1 8-Inch Adt Vacuum Suction Cup with Lexan Handle for Granite/Glass: Home Improvement

to help persuade it to close while someone cranks the emergency closer. A glass shop will have the tool but may not want to be responsible for damage.
Cant get more broke then it is IMO
Old 12-17-2015, 04:19 PM
KarlJC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
Don't have this option but if the manual close does not work the glass must be hung up on ?

If this was my truck I would use a glass grip

Amazon.com: Toolocity ASVC8858B1 8-Inch Adt Vacuum Suction Cup with Lexan Handle for Granite/Glass: Home Improvement

to help persuade it to close while someone cranks the emergency closer. A glass shop will have the tool but may not want to be responsible for damage.
Cant get more broke then it is IMO
If you are in a hurry you can get a Glass Grabber like that at any Harbor Freight, not as good a quality but will work for what you are doing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-cu...ter-46134.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminu...ter-92825.html
Old 12-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Gruber
Rennlist Member

Just had mine replaced due to excessive squeaking and the motor was going bad $9700. Fortunately I had the CPO. That being said it took almost 3 weeks to fix and something is still not right. The front glass sits up a little on the driver side corner and today I noticed I had water in the trunk. I assume its a drainage issue??? Anyone have any ideas on my last part.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:24 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know which option I'll never have without a warranty.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:27 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

See if can find one used
Old 12-17-2015, 05:28 PM
kino1161
Pro

Thanks everyone. The fact still remains that I need a new roof! And to think I was going to purchase the aftermarket warranty next Monday or Tuesday. It would be horrible to have a pano roof and not able to use it.....ever! I did tell them that I wanted to keep the old one when they took it out. I may be able to get some of my money back if someone needs pano roof parts......right?

I have looked high and low for a used one.

The thing is I love this truck. This roof issue has me a little down, had me even wondering why I got it..but I still love the truck.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:41 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by kino1161
It would be horrible to have a pano roof and not able to use it.....ever!
Why? My sun roof's been opened maybe 10 times in the 10 yrs of ownership. If you can force it closed and it seals, then leave it be and save your $10k.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:14 PM
kino1161
Pro

Makes since dasams but we actually do use it. We use the sunroofs in each of our cars.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Pano roof is one of the most complex mechanical systems in the Cayenne; to the point where there is a special factory training course just on this roof. Usually, there's only one tech within a Porsche dealership that actually takes the course and is trained to analyze, adjust and or repair them. If your dealership does not have the trained tech to perform this repair, take your car to another dealer otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

In a nutshell, there are three actuators that operate the pano roof: two for the glass and one for the shade. The actuators can be purchased separately; contrary to what your dealer advised you. There are many parts that work together to operate the roof. The service manual explains this in detail. A PIWIS may be required to set the parameters or "park" the roof into position.

FYI, once these roofs start giving problems and techs get their hands on them, there's a 50/50 chance that it will ever work like it did when it was brand new; not to mention the paint scratches and blemishes on your roof. The labor costs associated with properly diagnosing, analyzing, repairing and adjusting the pano roof and its components could also be one major reason why the dealer is pushing to replace the entire roof.

I've attached some images that may help you find a solution to your problem.
Attached Images    
Old 12-17-2015, 07:53 PM
fatmatt0116
Instructor

force it closed. Use 10k + trade for new car.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:05 PM
kino1161
Pro

Originally Posted by Andy E.
The Pano roof is one of the most complex mechanical systems in the Cayenne; to the point where there is a special factory training course just on this roof. Usually, there's only one tech within a Porsche dealership that actually takes the course and is trained to analyze, adjust and or repair them. If your dealership does not have the trained tech to perform this repair, take your car to another dealer otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

In a nutshell, there are three actuators that operate the pano roof: two for the glass and one for the shade. The actuators can be purchased separately; contrary to what your dealer advised you. There are many parts that work together to operate the roof. The service manual explains this in detail. A PIWIS may be required to set the parameters or "park" the roof into position.

FYI, once these roofs start giving problems and techs get their hands on them, there's a 50/50 chance that it will ever work like it did when it was brand new; not to mention the paint scratches and blemishes on your roof. The labor costs associated with properly diagnosing, analyzing, repairing and adjusting the pano roof and its components could also be one major reason why the dealer is pushing to replace the entire roof.

I've attached some images that may help you find a solution to your problem.
Thanks Andy.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:25 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by kino1161
Thanks everyone. The fact still remains that I need a new roof! And to think I was going to purchase the aftermarket warranty next Monday or Tuesday. It would be horrible to have a pano roof and not able to use it.....ever! I did tell them that I wanted to keep the old one when they took it out. I may be able to get some of my money back if someone needs pano roof parts......right?

I have looked high and low for a used one.

The thing is I love this truck. This roof issue has me a little down, had me even wondering why I got it..but I still love the truck.
Don't fret over missing out on a aftermarket warranty claim. They would figure a way to weasel out of paying.

I agree with others in this thread...self insure by saving the roof $$ for something else that breaks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Porsche says I need new Pano Roof because the actuator is out!