Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Old 05-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Actually as skiahh pointed out, this is a good thing.

Right now is probably the best time to sell a CD if you refuse to get caught up in the hysteria since the majority of "available" cars are locked up at Porsche dealers with PCNA refusing to let them be sold. So right now the availability is artificially low.

Once PCNA releases the stop sale is when we'll see values tank for awhile as there is a flood of options on the market which will take some time to sell. I expect to see some crazy deals on essentially new CDs when the cork pops as the dealers are going to be wanting to staunch the bleeding as fast as they can. The simple fact is that baring any help from PCNA dealers are under water on all CDs in their name at this point. Even if they could sell at full list they'll be losing money, so I fully expect them to trade cash for a quick sale.
I wonder if there will be any deals on previously un sellable 2016 models when the cork pops. Wouldn't mind trading out my 2014 if the numbers work in a positive manner.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I wonder if there will be any deals on previously un sellable 2016 models when the cork pops. Wouldn't mind trading out my 2014 if the numbers work in a positive manner.
I am not sure. It is anyone's guess. Several factors the would affect pricing still.

1. There will not be 2017 and 2018 models so supply will not increase thus price might still remain high. Demand was strong on CDs before this.

2. Unless this dieselgate has turned away potential customers, I don't see price drop.

3. If there is a flood of inventory and price drops, then I would imagine older cars would be worth even less.

We would not be discussing this today if I am clairvoyant..
Old 05-24-2016, 06:02 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I have no inside info, but if PCNA isn't covering the costs of the loan payments while the dealers have been stuck then I would expect some heavy discounts. Especially a couple weeks after the gates open if they still have cars on the lot, then I expect them to be really motivated.

My guess is that right now they are hoping when they are released they'll be as big of a seller as they were before the mess so you'll see slightly better than normal discounts. 2-4 weeks in when they see that the market is shy (which I can't believe it won't be) and another loan payment coming due, then the deals will start to get really good from a buyer's perspective.

The big unknown is what PCNA is going to do for them and how soon. If PCNA is as slow for them as they have been for the customers a 15-20% discount wouldn't surprise me.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:45 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a questionable time to sell our CDs with the recent 4-day old post of the increase of new and used listings on cars.com. There were less than 75 on sale a week ago compared to over 400 now online as dealer listings made up for the increase. The CPO adds value but until there is a final settlement as to a buyback number or whatever, it is still a guess.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:50 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

PCNA has to be compensating the dealers. They can't give them a stop sale, tank the value of the car and expect the dealers to cover their losses due to cheating. Just like they have already compensated us with a longer warranty, and hopefully will do more, they also must be doing something for their dealers.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
PCNA has to be compensating the dealers. They can't give them a stop sale, tank the value of the car and expect the dealers to cover their losses due to cheating. Just like they have already compensated us with a longer warranty, and hopefully will do more, they also must be doing something for their dealers.
I agree they ultimately will. It's just a question of when. PCNA has treated dealers poorly in the past (and even in the present given how much the dealers have been hung out on this) and the dealers will do what they can to stop the bleeding as soon as they can.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:49 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
This is a questionable time to sell our CDs with the recent 4-day old post of the increase of new and used listings on cars.com. There were less than 75 on sale a week ago compared to over 400 now online as dealer listings made up for the increase. The CPO adds value but until there is a final settlement as to a buyback number or whatever, it is still a guess.

New CDs - 300 units out of roughly 3,000 cars
Used CDs - 79 units out of 2,000 cars. Believe some of these cars have been sold as well.

Inventory is a bit slim in the used CDs compared to new ones. There is going to be a flood of inventory for sure when new CDs can be sold.

It so interesting to see that there are only 30 new hybrids which is where customers looking for better fuel mileage is going to buy in 2017 and 2018. That is 1% of the inventory supply vs CD's 10%. The tech complexity and potential reliability issues when the car gets older in a concern..
Old 05-25-2016, 03:20 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Good call. I looked on cars.com.

New CDs - 300 units out of roughly 3,000 cars
Used CDs - 79 units out of 2,000 cars. Believe some of these cars have been sold as well.

Inventory is a bit slim in the used CDs compared to new ones. There is going to be a flood of inventory for sure when new CDs can be sold.

It so interesting to see that there are only 30 new hybrids which is where customers looking for better fuel mileage is going to buy in 2017 and 2018. That is 1% of the inventory supply vs CD's 10%. The tech complexity and potential reliability issues when the car gets older in a concern..
Does cars.com just show what's recorded in inventory or are these cars actually available? Could we walk in and buy any of those 300 new CDs right now, given the stop-sale order?

Last edited by skiahh; 05-25-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Best way to find out is to call the listing dealer and then use plastic for a deposit until you get the payment finalized. I got my 911 by doing just that over the phone.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:10 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

So, this is the only part of the court conference that interest us. Looks like they started wheeling and dealing later than the 2.0 engines:

"With respect to the 3-liter-engine cars, the parties, through the Settlement Master, have reported to the Court that the resolution of what to do with these vehicles began later than for the 2-liter-engine cars. Engineering studies and testing for these cars are ongoing, and the parties are moving as quickly as possible to resolve these issues. I have been assured that the parties are working diligently on resolving the 3-liter-engine cars' issues"
Old 05-25-2016, 05:24 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm trading my '14 CD for a Platinum Ed '14 CD that is loaded (AS, Ent & drive, full leather, and many other nice options) this Fri at a BMW dealer that also has a Porsche dealer not co-located! No issues!
Old:

New:

Last edited by RobC4sX51; 06-03-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:04 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Received a letter in the mail from the State of California and the lab they are using to conduct testing on the CD's. The summary was: let us borrow your car for up to two months for $5k and a loaner (lots of other little stuff but this is the big picture). I don't think I can pry the CD from my wife for that long but the cheap side of me says: 5k is 5k, it keeps the miles down for a few months. I will likely pass but wanted this group to know it sounds like either they have a fix and need to test it out or... they want some real life examples (maybe a baseline).
Old 06-02-2016, 07:48 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

JRoach, that's interesting. If CARB wants to have a CD for two months, then it is beyond the June 21 date that the court set for a concrete agreement. Maybe they'll agree with the fix subject to further testing?
Old 06-02-2016, 07:56 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

JR, and the two months of "low miles" would be them driving it 24/7 with test equipment ! :-)
Old 06-02-2016, 07:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
Received a letter in the mail from the State of California and the lab they are using to conduct testing on the CD's. The summary was: let us borrow your car for up to two months for $5k and a loaner (lots of other little stuff but this is the big picture). I don't think I can pry the CD from my wife for that long but the cheap side of me says: 5k is 5k, it keeps the miles down for a few months. I will likely pass but wanted this group to know it sounds like either they have a fix and need to test it out or... they want some real life examples (maybe a baseline).
I gt same letter. Tossed it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue