Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 05:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Is it now in VW's best interest to stall to see if the new administration forces the EPA and DOJ to drop the case?
The EPA is on the rag for sure but I doubt it'll be dropped.... this is about lying to the government underneath it all.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:32 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

So apparently one of the first moves by Trump's new administration was to strip references to climate change from the White House website.

Is it now in VW's best interest to stall to see if the new administration forces the EPA and DOJ to drop the case?
Doubt so. There is a lot of money that the Feds are getting. It may be worse for VW. The new administration may say look at what those cheating foreign corporations doing and impose a high tariff on Audi products made in Mexico.

Last edited by visitador; 01-20-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:41 PM
illtww
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea will be interesting....
Old 01-20-2017, 10:18 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

Yes, wonder what will happen with the new Q5's coming from south of the border? I just keep waiting and waiting to see what they'll do with my Q5 TDI. I love the vehicle, but if they buy it back, I'll be looking for a couple year old CPO'ed Cayenne GTS !!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Yes, wonder what will happen with the new Q5's coming from south of the border? I just keep waiting and waiting to see what they'll do with my Q5 TDI. I love the vehicle, but if they buy it back, I'll be looking for a couple year old CPO'ed Cayenne GTS !!
They're not buying it back.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So apparently one of the first moves by Trump's new administration was to strip references to climate change from the White House website.

No, too far gone.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:25 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw this link on some Gen 3 2.0L "fixed" cars owner reactions.

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-tdi-o...die-1791432942

I selected a few quotes (click the link above to read the full article).

"Owners were worried that, when VW came out with a fix for their polluting diesel cars, it would involve a huge decrease in fuel economy and acceleration. But based on initial thoughts from TDI Club Forum members, it looks like Phase 1 of the modification doesn’t do much to fuel economy, even if it might make the cars feel slightly slower."

And,

"Volkswagen admits that the changes to these 2015 model year VWs (equipped with the “generation 3" diesel engines), doesn’t bring pollution below federal emissions standards, but it does improve NOx pollution significantly without affecting performance.

Volkswagen says this first “phase” of the fix (owners will have to come back in early 2018 for the full fix), does not introduce significant changes to “fuel consumption, reliability, durability, vehicle performance, drivability, or other driving characteristics.”

It may, the automaker says, lead to a different engine tone, a change in cooling fan operation, a sport mode that shifts earlier, 1-14 percent higher Diesel Exhaust Fluid use, and an “improvement in throttle response, a smoother acceleration and improved driving experience.”

Based on the impressions above, VW’s claims seems mostly right, other than the sluggish driving bit. But those are just three early impressions, and we’ll need more data points and more time to really know how this fix changes vehicle drivability and fuel economy."

And lastly,

"It’s worth mentioning that the warranty on these repaired cars is incredible. It covers the entire exhaust aftertreatment system including: “The Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators.”

Perhaps more crucially (because many TDI owners have issues with these parts), it also covers the entire fuel system, “including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators.”

On top of that, the warranty applies to the EGR system, the turbocharger, the On-Board Diagnostic system, and a lot more.

And it’s a long warranty, too. VW says it spans defines the greater of two options: 1) Your car reaches 11 years of age and 162,000 miles or 2) Five years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date and mileage of the phase 1 fix.

When the phase 2 fix comes around, that five years and 60,000 miles will reset. So, yes, the buyback is a lucrative option, but the fix—with its promise of similar performance and mileage, plus this warranty— looks pretty tempting as well."
Old 01-21-2017, 03:11 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
This is of particular interest to us with the 3.0L Gen 2 vehicles as these 2.0L Gen 3 (EA288 diesel engine) has the urea based NOx reduction system, which I believe is quite similar to our [AdBlue] system.

AdBlue is just a brand name for urea based diesel emission fluid (DEF), so it's more than quite similar.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stronbl
Saw this link on some Gen 3 2.0L "fixed" cars owner reactions.

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-tdi-o...die-1791432942

I selected a few quotes (click the link above to read the full article).

"Owners were worried that, when VW came out with a fix for their polluting diesel cars, it would involve a huge decrease in fuel economy and acceleration. But based on initial thoughts from TDI Club Forum members, it looks like Phase 1 of the modification doesnÂ’t do much to fuel economy, even if it might make the cars feel slightly slower."

And,

"Volkswagen admits that the changes to these 2015 model year VWs (equipped with the “generation 3" diesel engines), doesn’t bring pollution below federal emissions standards, but it does improve NOx pollution significantly without affecting performance.

Volkswagen says this first “phase” of the fix (owners will have to come back in early 2018 for the full fix), does not introduce significant changes to “fuel consumption, reliability, durability, vehicle performance, drivability, or other driving characteristics.”

It may, the automaker says, lead to a different engine tone, a change in cooling fan operation, a sport mode that shifts earlier, 1-14 percent higher Diesel Exhaust Fluid use, and an “improvement in throttle response, a smoother acceleration and improved driving experience.”

Based on the impressions above, VWÂ’s claims seems mostly right, other than the sluggish driving bit. But those are just three early impressions, and weÂ’ll need more data points and more time to really know how this fix changes vehicle drivability and fuel economy."

And lastly,

"It’s worth mentioning that the warranty on these repaired cars is incredible. It covers the entire exhaust aftertreatment system including: “The Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators.”

Perhaps more crucially (because many TDI owners have issues with these parts), it also covers the entire fuel system, “including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators.”

On top of that, the warranty applies to the EGR system, the turbocharger, the On-Board Diagnostic system, and a lot more.

And itÂ’s a long warranty, too. VW says it spans defines the greater of two options: 1) Your car reaches 11 years of age and 162,000 miles or 2) Five years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date and mileage of the phase 1 fix.

When the phase 2 fix comes around, that five years and 60,000 miles will reset. So, yes, the buyback is a lucrative option, but the fix—with its promise of similar performance and mileage, plus this warranty— looks pretty tempting as well."
Different car and engine. Plus, doesn't have to meet original regs.

Time will tell with us. It's my biggest worry.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:56 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default AdBlue, top off, PSMP (pre paid maintenance)

Hey gang,

Semi interesting experience related to this mess.

AdBlue light went on with: 1k miles left. This was about 4k miles after the last regular service. I have read that the AdBlue tanks holds about 6.8 gallons.
I also have the PSMP maintenance plan for 50k miles.

When I took it to the dealer to have it checked out I was told that they (the dealer) is only allowed to add 1 gallon on every service interval.

I called Porsche USA, who sent me back to the dealer for technical specs on the program but she said they would look into it.

I'm looking to find where the T/C's are for the PSMP plan. I could only find the cost flyer to the dealer, a generic PDF for the owner but nothing on the details.

Kind of funny that they would have a governor on the dealers when it came to AdBlue.

Even without the diesel controversy, to have a capacity of 5+ gallons and only provide 1 gallon ???? Math seems off to me.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:27 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

My dealer says they fill it every time. We also bought the pre-paid plan on the Cayenne.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:37 PM
JRoach
Racer

skiahh, that is what I thought until it ran short. You might also have a dealer that is doing the right thing by you vs what the manufacturer wants. This thread is about us and the manufacturer so I'll refrain from jumping onto "am I using a good dealer".

Porsche USA called back and while they could give me a document number they did say that they found a reference to 1.89 liter per visit. This is about 1/2 gallon.

If anybody can shed some light on documentation it would be helpful. I think this should be a part of the public comment mentioned earlier.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:50 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't shed any light on the policy but I can tell you that you can buy 1 gal or 2 gal DEF fro almost any auto parts store. It's pretty cheap from them (not so cheap from Porsche) and add it yourself - super easy. I know that defeats the purpose of pre-paid service plan but it is still an option. I bought a 2.5 gal box from Autozone for around $15.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:54 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

One gallon fill allowance doesn't make sense. I fill mine each 5K oil change and it takes the better part of a 2.5 gallon jug. I get my DEF at Tractor Supply for 12 bucks, sometimes it's on sale for less.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:07 PM
JRoach
Racer

Thanks stronbl.

Understood. I've prepaid so its no charge for my visits (and it was no charge today).

What I'm trying to do is confirm the Porsche process for AdBlue as it relates to PSMP. The process seems to be flawed/wrong. The court should understand Porsche's future intent based on previous actions. While seemingly small this helps drive home points on my/our behalf (using our for those that believe the same way...for all the rest, ignore).

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue