Sponsored by:

Replacing 955 TTS Head Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:35 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Replacing 955 TTS Head Unit Replacement

Cutting and pasting this info from a 6speed thread from a couple years ago. I'd really appreciate feedback on the solution, the components recommended, whether any problems have been identified with any of them over time, anything that doesn't work with this solution, and further recommendations.

I have a problem with cars. I always want to change. I LOVE my 06 TTS. I've driven a couple of new Turbo's lately and I still like my 06 more. I go through this annually, figuring out what I need to do to keep my disease from causing me to upgrade into a depreciating asset that I don't appreciate, pun not intended but acknowledged. My wife complains about the NAV, the CD is starting to err, I want bluetooth and Pandora, time to do this. The head unit mentioned below is dirt cheap now and I assume it still checks all the boxes, so that's good. Any and all comments and advice appreciated.

Porsche Cayenne S 955 Stereo Upgrade
Upgrading the sound system in my 2005 Cayenne S. For anyone interested in this process, I have done a lot of research including forum review. This will be compatible with my iPhone 5S with for all audio, video, bluetooth calls and music streaming, pandora, spotify, screen mirroring, etc.

I will be using:
1. headunit: Pioneer AVH x8500BHS
2. Axxess steering wheel control
3. Sirius XM sat tuner
4. Pioneer Back-up camera
5. NAVTV MOST HURR/955 adapter
6. In-Dash kit also made by NAV TV(for OEM-like fit)
7. JL audio 12inch subwoofer
8. Additional JL audio 500w mono block amplifier (just for subwoofer)
9. Valentine 1 radar detector will also be wired directly during this instal with hidden wires.

- The stock bose system will remain, including the amplifier and subwoofer. The system will be optimized before removing the OEM deck to have less base as this will be covered by the JL audio subwoofer. The stock sub will serve to provide mid. The NAVTV MOST HURR/955 adapter is what makes it possible to preserve the stock amplifier and wired bose fiberoptic system. Without it, you will need an aftermarket amp and need to rewire the speakers or replace them. This is certainly an option if your bose system is at all compromised as the MOST HURR adapter costs as much as doing those upgrades.

- The instrument cluster display will not be compatible. There will be no radio information displayed at top center of instrument cluster. I will report any issues with system or installation of the set up once it's complete next week.

- Will post pictures when complete.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...o-upgrade.html
Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that the subwoofer that fits in the rear trunk side panel? Because that thing is hard to find now.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Is that the subwoofer that fits in the rear trunk side panel? Because that thing is hard to find now.
You know, could be. But there are other compact options and what I'm mainly concerned about is making sure I get the best possible integration with the dash, steering wheel, MOST bus, etc. The sub is kind of optional, I'm okay with the stock system. And I don't care at all about a radar detector.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:47 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

I just installed a Denison and kept the stock headunit. It works GREAT! Does everything I wanted, plus keeps OEM fitment/look. Seamless BT streaming, pulled all my phone contacts into the PCM, sound is surprisingly good.

Now I just use the Nav on my phone, voice commands come through the stereo speakers. Never have to worry about map updates, etc.

I feel this is a very good option and it's not terribly expensive either. I got mine from Eric at BumperPlugs.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:17 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

I did the Denison on my prior TTS and the results were as advertised, but my wife hates the stock look, and I'm tired of it as well. And I want Pandora. And touch screen. And better Nav. My NAV reader or CD, one or the other is starting to die. So updating the stock PCM setup isn't where I want to go with this.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:40 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

OT—but why did you have another 955 TTS? Was that car a lemon?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:53 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

OT—but why did you have another 955 TTS? Was that car a lemon?
Not at all, fantastic car. The CPO ended and I wanted back in a car with warranty. Then I realized within weeks that I'd let go my perfect car and I wanted her back. So I went and found another one in even better condition with better options still under CPO. That CPO ended 18 months ago and I go through the decision process annually what to do. Just went and drove some 958 turbos. I still like my 955 more, I find the shifter more comfy, like the pull of the 6spd more, like the exterior more. JUST went through this again and have decided to keep it again, and now need to put some money in her, brakes and stereo.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:30 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

The DYNAVIN unit is not an option? Seems a better fit and cheaper. I don't have one, but it is on the list.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:37 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
The DYNAVIN unit is not an option? Seems a better fit and cheaper. I don't have one, but it is on the list.
Thanks much. Looks like a great unit. I wish it weren't apple centric, also no Pandora, but nice. Not sure it's the right one for me though.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:08 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icspres
Not at all, fantastic car. The CPO ended and I wanted back in a car with warranty. Then I realized within weeks that I'd let go my perfect car and I wanted her back.
Oh right, I remember that now.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:18 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Wondering about this little item. Can it be purchased as a stand-alone because it is by far the cheapest MOST converter... AND exposes the markup scam pricing of all the other vendors.

http://dynavingps.com/Dynavin-Accessories/N6-MOST
Old 09-02-2015, 03:33 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Wondering about this little item. Can it be purchased as a stand-alone because it is by far the cheapest MOST converter... AND exposes the markup scam pricing of all the other vendors.

http://dynavingps.com/Dynavin-Accessories/N6-MOST
looking at it, it just looks like the adapter you need to use with the dynavin head. don't think it would work for other heads?
Old 09-02-2015, 04:05 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Stream Pandora from your phone. Stream the Nav from your phone. Works great!

Just saying...
Old 09-02-2015, 08:59 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
Stream Pandora from your phone. Stream the Nav from your phone. Works great!

Just saying...
Didn't get that was possible from their product description. But you can't control pandora from the touch screen on the head unit though, right? Or Nav? I'm just having trouble visualizing how this works.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:27 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

You control Pandora and Nav from the touch screen on your phone. Honestly once you've set Pandora to stream, or entered the address into the Nav and hit "Go", I don't really mess around with the Phone again...

Quick Reply: Replacing 955 TTS Head Unit Replacement