Secondary Cat Removal, Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:46 AM
Waterman19
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
+1

Secondary cats aren't monitored by any sensors which is why replacing them is easy to do without any programming - No way those are causing your issue.

I don't think there's a significant difference between the HHR and Fabspeed bypass pipes either - if the HHR are less expensive, I'd go with those. I also don't think you need the Resonated versions unless you're eliminating the primary cats and don't want the exhaust too loud. The secondary cat delete adds just a little bit of sound, but not too much. A nice subtle mod IMO. I run the Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes but purchased them in the Marketplace. A also run the HHR cold air intake. Both companies make quality products.
Thanks for the advice. I think I’ll be going with the HHR version as those are $200 less. Just seemed to me that in all the YouTube videos I’ve watched the HHR seemed more raspy than the Fabspeed.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterman19

Thanks for the advice. Will a Porsche specific scan tool pick up what the problem is if I don’t have any warning codes on the dash?
A Porsche specific tool will be able to look at ALL sorts of things that never trigger a SEL on the dash. The SEL is only triggered by emissions problems. There can be other things going on, including the possibility that you have a transfer case that's getting grabby. The tool will allow you to see into the inner workings (data) of all of the ~20+ computer modules that make the cars work. They all store data - that can't be read by a simple OBD-II tool. And that data might be the hint to what your problem is.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Waterman19
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not weld straight pipes in to replace secondary cats?

Can anyone think of any reasons why I shouldn’t have my local muffler shop weld in straight pipes to replace the secondary cats? Muffler shop says they can do it for $100. They said that the pipes would be welded in of course but that they would be able to remove and reinstall cats should I or next owner have the desire. Any reason why I shouldn’t go this route?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:21 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterman19
Can anyone think of any reasons why I shouldn’t have my local muffler shop weld in straight pipes to replace the secondary cats? Muffler shop says they can do it for $100. They said that the pipes would be welded in of course but that they would be able to remove and reinstall cats should I or next owner have the desire. Any reason why I shouldn’t go this route?
Well for one, I doubt your local muffler shop is going to weld in stainless steel, especially a quality high chromium content grade like 304. Mild steel will eventually rust through and just look crummy to boot (yeah I know its underneath the vehicle, but still).

There maybe other more significant reasons not to do this this, so others may chime in.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

For those of you that went HHR, did you do the 2.5" or 3". I have a 05 CTT so was thinking the 3".
Maybe I could ask HHR directly, wondering about the sounds as well, since some said the HHR seems raspier?

I have Stainlessworks less than 1hr from me, might see if they can custom make something for me.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:45 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

2.5 works! Absolutely love the sound of my Cayenne Turbo!! Makes everyone jealous!
Old 03-23-2020, 04:59 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

JPJRJR70,

Do you have Hanksville 2.5" cat bypass on your turbo? I've been debating a cat delete and was thinking about the HHR 3", because maybe I'd someday go 3" all the way back, and they make a 3" mid pipe and exhaust. Wonder what peoples thoughts are...

Quick Reply: Secondary Cat Removal, Really Worth It?