Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 'entry & drive' option ?

Old 06-01-2015, 01:39 AM
NRFD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 'entry & drive' option ?

Hi - I'm new to Porsche and looking at an '08 CTT. It has the 'entry and drive' option. On the test drive, worked great to get into vehicle, but it didn't have the 'dummy' key in the starter. We just used the regular full sized FOB key and it worked fine. Do I understand that the system is set up w/ a plastic dummy key that is designed to stay in place? If so, it seems that replacement dummy key part is less than $50 new on ebay. Most of the discussion I found on this topic were for different Porsche models, just wanted to confirm my understanding because selling used car dealer doesn't know about this system. The build list by vin does show this car has it, and it does work to unlock is 'keyless' w/ FOB in pocket.
thanks for any info................
Old 06-01-2015, 02:07 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NRFD
Do I understand that the system is set up w/ a plastic dummy key that is designed to stay in place? If so, it seems that replacement dummy key part is less than $50 new on ebay.
Your understanding is correct. I've had entry and drive on all 3 of my Cayennes however my current car didn't have the dummy key when I bought, I obtained a new key from the dealer for somewhere in the region of $20.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:09 AM
NRFD
Track Day

vielen dank!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:56 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 657 Posts

Yes, the dummy plastic key is JUST THAT,... a simple plastic hollow key that snaps in once you insert it.

To add a bit more info: Fyi, Regarding REMOVAL of that plastic dummy key::

The owners manual describes the process to remove that dummy key,... & it appears quite involved.

Rather than using the Owners Manual process, Porsche has setup a MUCH MORE SIMPLE way to remove that key...

Walk up to your car WITHOUT your master key in your pocket. Keep it far away from your car. With you car unlocked & your door open,... turn the dummy key forward to the start position once,.. the dash will say key not found. Turn it off, and back on again. You will hear a click. You can then pull the dummy key out.

It works. But I must say that after I tried that process out for the first time, I have NEVER had to take it out again.

=Steve
Old 06-01-2015, 12:16 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

I am not a fan of the arrive and drive option. It is one of the most disappointing options that I have had on a Porsche. The issue is that it seems to have a brain of it's own and decides when it wants to unlock or lock... even with new batteries in the remotes, it is works reliably only about 75% of the time. I have never been locked out for more than a few seconds, but I can hit the button on a remote in that time. I also get the "Key not recognized in Vehicle" dash alert once in a while while I am driving. I suspect that it is caused by interference from another remote or signal...

Cheers,
TomF
Old 06-01-2015, 12:58 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

The newer dummy keys from the dealer are (as stated above) about $20. The one I obtained has a small button on the center of the key that allows it to be released. No goofy, overly-complicated procedure required.

As quirky and inconsistent as that option can be, I wouldn't get one without it.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

@ NRFD - Sounds like the '08 CTT Entry&Drive worked as advertised when you test drove it. If you go with that vehicle, I hope that continues. It will be easy to get the dummy key, so not a problem there.

@ TomF - I can't tell from your profile what or how many Cayenne's you've had, so it's tough to tell if all of yours have been unlucky to have interference, or not working right. Sounds like AGARubberDuck has seen quirkiness too.

I hope mine doesn't start to act up. It's a '12 CTT, and it has worked flawlessly for the 4 months I've owned it. No Jinxing please!!

=Steve
Old 06-02-2015, 11:35 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think that AGARubberDuck said it well- "As quirky and inconsistent as that option can be, I wouldn't get one without it." It is darn inconsistent and does strange things at times. The same type of feature on my buddy's BMW is flawless and works great. Oh well, I really like everything else on the Cayenne, especially the 500hp!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 06-02-2015, 05:14 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
The newer dummy keys from the dealer are (as stated above) about $20. The one I obtained has a small button on the center of the key that allows it to be released. No goofy, overly-complicated procedure required.

As quirky and inconsistent as that option can be, I wouldn't get one without it.
Your dummy sounds just like mine. Apart from door antenna failure on the 955 turbo, I have had zero issues with 'entry and drive'.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:50 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Yes, the dummy plastic key is JUST THAT,... a simple plastic hollow key that snaps in once you insert it.

To add a bit more info: Fyi, Regarding REMOVAL of that plastic dummy key::

The owners manual describes the process to remove that dummy key,... & it appears quite involved.

Rather than using the Owners Manual process, Porsche has setup a MUCH MORE SIMPLE way to remove that key...

Walk up to your car WITHOUT your master key in your pocket. Keep it far away from your car. With you car unlocked & your door open,... turn the dummy key forward to the start position once,.. the dash will say key not found. Turn it off, and back on again. You will hear a click. You can then pull the dummy key out.

It works. But I must say that after I tried that process out for the first time, I have NEVER had to take it out again.

=Steve
Maybe your button on the dummy key is broken? I just push it in and remove the key? I do it all the time as any service place gets confused about how to start the car or they try to remove it.

You can just slightly see the button, top left of the key.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:51 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I get that error not found when battery is low.

Originally Posted by TomF
I am not a fan of the arrive and drive option. It is one of the most disappointing options that I have had on a Porsche. The issue is that it seems to have a brain of it's own and decides when it wants to unlock or lock... even with new batteries in the remotes, it is works reliably only about 75% of the time. I have never been locked out for more than a few seconds, but I can hit the button on a remote in that time. I also get the "Key not recognized in Vehicle" dash alert once in a while while I am driving. I suspect that it is caused by interference from another remote or signal...

Cheers,
TomF
Old 06-02-2015, 09:02 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

@ Touareg: You are right. My fault for not recognizing that this thread is for 2008.
Sorry bout that.

Mine is different.... (2012 958 dummy key below)....

Old 06-03-2015, 01:27 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by touareg
I get that error not found when battery is low.
I have replaced the battery twice already this year, just to be safe, so I can't imagine that it's the battery...

I suspect that it's interference as I get it when I am in heavy stop and start traffic.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 AM
timwu12
Instructor

Originally Posted by TomF

Cheers,
TomF
I've noticed this happening to mine too!

Lately, when I park and get out of the car, I'll close the door, press the button on the door handle to lock the car, and not 2 seconds after that, the door will automatically unlock. I'll press the button on the handle to lock it again, and yet again, it'll auto unlock itself instantly. I have my master key in my pocket the whole time, so I don't know what's going on.

However, if I pull the key out and manually hit the lock button, then the car will lock and not auto unlock itself while I'm standing right next to it.

Has anyone experienced this particular issue? If you have, can you tell me what your solution was?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '08 'entry & drive' option ?