Sponsored by:

ultra low miles '08 TT ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:48 AM
NRFD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultra low miles '08 TT ????

thinking hard about an '08 TT, 4,400 orig miles in my town (year round warm climate) / one owner / clean accident free carfax / some obvious paintwork on bottom parts of front and back bumpers in a b+ job but still OK - looks just cosmetic / talked with svc advisor at local Porsche dealer, that knows owner & car - all checks out - only 'routine' svc performed, and told me about front and back bumpers from 'parking lot' mistakes;

out for high pressure fuel pump recall currently but dealer can't fit it in before June (Porsche dealer, not the selling dealer of this car) - thinking of purchasing it, and having recall done and servicing it once I have bought it to avoid missing out on such a 'find' - I've been looking for low miles / decent priced TT's for a while; Fletcher Jones owns the dealer here, and have great reviews of their customer svc at their Mercedes store

orig sticker w/ options, dynamic chassis control, panoramic roof, 'entry and drive', rear camera / park assist, etc, $106k total after $900 destination charge - nice color combo marine blue metallic / black interior

negotiated down to $35k price.... test drove today, seems to run great, will go for a longer ride before committing

also considering a 4 yr / 48k All State warrantee for $4,600 on top of that which I understand is about $600 over dealer cost; I understand may not cover everything but also I look at it as insurance against serious internal engine issues including internal gaskets that have seen such little use since new

any feedback appreciated...... always wanted a TT Cayenne been through a bunch of high HP 'American muscle' and ready to get something 'up a notch', and understand maintenance costs that may not be covered under policy as it excludes 'hoses' ha ha however that may be interpreted

thanks for any feedback / comments,

Last edited by NRFD; 05-28-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:16 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

These cars are meant to be driven. I would be really concerned about a low-mile example that has definitely not been taken care of exemplified by the "parking lot mistakes." The proof would be in a thorough inspection. As you indicated, dried gaskets, brittle hoses, etc... are all part of the challenges with a vehicle that has sat for long periods at a time.

Good luck with your search!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 05-28-2015, 11:31 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as the warranty is iron clad - seems like a good price. A car that's sat for that long is most certainly going to have smaller issues pop up that might not be seen on a car that's driven frequently.

No way would I do it without a warranty, though. Not only has the car sat for a long time, but all the things that would have been fixed in 48K miles under warranty, will now be coming out of your pocket. Compound that with a few leaks and random failures from sitting idle, and your overall operating costs will be much higher than a CTT that sees regular miles and maintenance, but might have 60K miles on it.

The flip side to this is that if you're OK spending that kind of money, then I'd almost prefer to make the small jump to the 958 CTT. I've seen some higher mileage ones in the low 50's and high 40's. I mean, what's another 10K when you're already spending 40?

For me, personally, there is nothing attractive about a 4400 mile CTT. It's sat for what appears to be 7 years with little to no maintenance. So many aspects of the car that are not likely going to last as long as cars that are driven frequently. But, that's just me.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:55 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TomF
These cars are meant to be driven. I would be really concerned about a low-mile example that has definitely not been taken care of exemplified by the "parking lot mistakes." The proof would be in a thorough inspection. As you indicated, dried gaskets, brittle hoses, etc... are all part of the challenges with a vehicle that has sat for long periods at a time.

Good luck with your search!

Cheers,
TomF
You see it all the time in the aviation world. Low-time, impeccable Beechcraft Barons that would typically sell in the 150K range, and they end up in the scrap yard. It's often older pilots that lose their medical, can't bring themselves to sell the plane, they pass away and the family is left to deal with the plane. Because it sat for 10 years, it's just too much of a gamble to fly. Both from a safety standpoint and an investment standpoint. Engines need an overhaul (100K), and the fuel system and avionics will easily push the rehab costs past the 150K mark. You just watch with sadness as a beautiful plane gets sold for ports.

With all the complicated systems on a CTT - I wouldn't want to deal with the headache of not knowing what has dry rotted, or if there is corrosion on any internal parts from not seeing oil. There's a reason a 100K Porsche is getting sold for 35K when it's basically brand new
Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
You see it all the time in the aviation world. Low-time, impeccable Beechcraft Barons that would typically sell in the 150K range, and they end up in the scrap yard. It's often older pilots that lose their medical, can't bring themselves to sell the plane, they pass away and the family is left to deal with the plane. Because it sat for 10 years, it's just too much of a gamble to fly. Both from a safety standpoint and an investment standpoint. Engines need an overhaul (100K), and the fuel system and avionics will easily push the rehab costs past the 150K mark. You just watch with sadness as a beautiful plane gets sold for ports.

With all the complicated systems on a CTT - I wouldn't want to deal with the headache of not knowing what has dry rotted, or if there is corrosion on any internal parts from not seeing oil. There's a reason a 100K Porsche is getting sold for 35K when it's basically brand new
Agreed. I looked at a Robinson helicopter down in Oregon with a buddy of mine years ago that had very low airframe and engine hours. It was leaking everywhere since it had been sitting. Great for a conversation piece, but not so great to fly in!

For my money, I would rather have a CTT that had been driven 25k-35k and been very well taken care of. They want to be driven or they have tons of little, nagging issues pop up.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 05-28-2015, 01:19 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Yep - my ideal CTT is 4 years old with 100K on the clock. Means it was driven mostly on the highway, and well taken care of if it's a 1-owner car with all the records.

A nearly brand new CTT is a fun idea, but I wouldn't want that type of liability for a long-term car. It would be something I only own under a ridiculously good warranty
Old 05-28-2015, 02:24 PM
NRFD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all that very helpful feedback. The warranty is probably the highest available in terms of what it covers, All State Premier BUT it specifically excludes hoses. I'm gonna pass.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: ultra low miles '08 TT ????