Sponsored by:

Porsche Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Porsche Diagnostics

I`ve had/used diagnostics before and am reasonably familiar with the Ross Tech offering for VAG cars

Can someone explain the differences between PIWIS and Durametric Porsche diagnostics?

Both seem to do essentially the same thing (plug into a laptop with the appropriate software installed and scan/clear faults at least, maybe even tweak some settings as well)

I get the vibe that Durametric is the older outdated version and PIWIS is the preferred option and is more advanced - is this accurate?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:13 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

PIWIS (OE Porsche Tool) is the best, but pretty much unless you get lucky, a lot of $$$$.

There is an older version you can find that is a between to the 1 to 2k mark. Runs one WinXP or 2k, can't remember and uses a bosch k tool. The new version, don't know of anyone having that but the dealer, as it has to constantly check in for a license I believe, they started that one around 2011 or so.

Glad that Durametric writes something, but honestly it is pretty crappy compared to the vag-com. They seem to support the 911 crowd well, but on the cayenne, it seems to crash and lock a lot as well as not allow coding on a lot of modules it says it supports (crashes), have tried it on several of the supported OS and multitudes of laptops.

Did get it to work on my 968 30% of the time. Other than those two cars, have not tried it on anything else as I have the cheap 300 dollar version that only supports 2 VINs.

Other than the coding off my seatbelt chime, I have not been able to change anything else on my 957 (I think I can reset the service now light)
Old 05-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm, Ok, thanks for that

So is Durametric worth having or does it have to be PIWIS? And what kind of cash do each of these run for?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:14 PM
ndx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Durametric is Ok for the money, Piwis 2 is the new P tool
Old piwis does not cover 2011+ Cars

There are some other alternatives.... What are you trying to do?

Quick Reply: Porsche Diagnostics