Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM.... worth checking the box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:32 AM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PASM.... worth checking the box?

Hey Team,

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2016 Diesel.

I was wondering if it's really worth it to add PASM. On the Porsche website it seems to say that it makes the car handle significantly better - but my local salesperson is telling me that it's not really worth it. Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are they saying that because they already have one allocated without it?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:08 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think so b/c my sales guy is perfectly happy with me ordering a Cayenne exactly how I want it. Was just curious in general how PASM changed the driving dynamics/comfort of the vehicle and whether or not it was "worth it."
Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Personally I wouldn't bother. Dynamics of the CD on steel normal springs/dampers is really good (for an SUV!). I have dynamic on a few other cars and honestly I don't miss it at all on the CD. One more thing to break too...
Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 PM
BE455
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spend your option budget elsewhere... the base suspension really is quite good. Far better than the X5, Q7 etc in my experience. People say the air suspension is better for towing too - but my towing experience with over 5000lbs behind me has been just fine.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:46 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll get different responses. For me, I would definitely get it. Couple this with the air suspension, I like how the ride quality and the overall behavior/ personality of the car can be changed with this system.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:48 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I think it depends on your personality a lot also. Do you want a nice riding car that is a pleasure to drive? its already a nice riding car that is a pleasure to drive. Or do you want to constantly tinker with stuff to find the best ride in each situation, and enjoy that sort of enthusiast experience...
Old 04-22-2015, 11:48 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

I wouldn't own a Cayenne without it. My '08 CTT has all the bells and whistles, including PDCC, and the PASM is fantastic for adjusting for various situations from hardcore spirited driving to handling a really rough road. I also used the terrain level recently to navigate over a huge snow berm.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 04-22-2015, 11:59 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 659 Posts

+1 - That's a great point @ jpru2001 -

Cuz I am constantly pushing buttons ( PASM, Air Ride Height, PSM, Sport Button & yes even my lock differentials when in sand or gravel) depending on what road surface I am on, my speed, and even when I am just cruising off a major highway and onto the off-ramp ( I stiffen up the struts just to get more of that g-force / flat through the corner feeling). In that situation I don't really need or want to push the "Sport" button, cuz I don't need the shift point changes/power/etc, but rather just want to feel the tightness of the suspension through the turn ( plus I get a kick out of those moments cuz I'm still getting decent gas mileage & not mashing the peddle, but still getting the G's thru the turn). My PDCC & PTV are always on ( & cannot turn off),... but if I could, I would be turning them on & off, just to see how it would react with / without it. I'm constantly meddling & LOVE IT.

As said, it really depends on YOUR driving style. Do you like to constantly mess with technology options, or rather just "drive"...

=S

Last edited by bweSteve; 04-22-2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: clarify re: PDCC & PTV
Old 04-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 2 weeks into GTS ownership and I can tell you I can't wipe the grin off my face. I do find myself messing with the sport/normal/comfort chassis settings and sport button pretty much on every drive, tho I'm sure this will wear off eventually.

What setting do i like best?
Sport off with chassis mode normal.

The engineers should be praised for getting it so right. The modes are perfectly spaced.

... and if i didn't have all of this adjust-ability? I wouldn't miss it.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

If you drive aggressively , PASM is an added bonus, and allows you to put the vehicle limits as well as your own. I agree with 155, I've been in some crappy meetings and left the meeting and gotten back on the highway to head to the next meeting or home and push the sport button and hit an entrance ramp at 80+ your mood will change instantly, and drivers around you will stare wondering what is wrong with you, as you are using them as cones for a stress relief weaving and dodging around them. ( you might get flipped off as well if your in Boston area as I've seen this week since I put the summer 21" tyres on )
Old 04-23-2015, 01:13 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 659 Posts

no slalom "use-cars-as-cones" driving for me. I try to reserve my aggressive driving for when there is NO one around me. I hate that finger. Funny though, how I can open the headers on my 1968 Camaro BBC & romp passed folks ( in a straight line of course),.... and all I get is BIG THUMBS UP!! But if I do that in a P car,... I get the stink eye stare ( or worse). So I keep to myself when hitting it hard in my 911 or 958.

It's all personal preference. Since I don't have a lot of buttons to push in my 964T, I have become a button pusher in my 958. Lol.

Quick Reply: PASM.... worth checking the box?