Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of your Cayenne off-road!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Villian
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A few neat ones from this past winter. Drifting around on a frozen pond.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Villian
Instructor

Old 11-17-2015, 10:03 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Offroad Drive settings? 955 Cayenne S

What is the correct modes for:

~ Steep hillclimb
~ Steep descent
~ Smooth fire service road
~ Rocky ascent(not steep)
Old 11-17-2015, 10:59 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
What is the correct modes for:

~ Steep hillclimb, if smooth and steep (PSM off, low-range and diff locked, height low enough to just clear obstacles, sport suspension).
~ Steep descent (low-range, PSM on, heigh to clear obstacles, normal suspension)
~ Smooth fire service road (PSM on, height to clear obstacles, comfort mode)
~ Rocky ascent(not steep) (PSM on, low-range and diff-locked, spec terrain, comfort mode)
Answered in-line.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:17 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Answered in-line.
When you say diff locked...is that center and rear locked?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:23 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

When you say diff locked...is that center and rear locked?
It's highly unlikely you have a locking rear diff option. But, yes- all diffs locked.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:47 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

from my 958 perspective (2012),...

Yes it is true we cannot lock ONLY the rear differential by itself, but indeed we do actually have one, right?

If I push the "Off-Road-Diff-Lock-Button" up once, it {Correction: puts the Cayenne into "Off-Road Mode" } (used for mild terrain).

Push a 2nd time & it adds the Center Diff (now both are locked, and I use this for Sand, medium terrain, and circumstance where I still want PSM to stay on).

Push a 3rd time, and it adds the Rear Diff lock (PSM automatically turns off, used in deep track ruts, crossing logs or boulders, or on very slippery surfaces).

When the Center Diff is locked, there is no longer any speed difference between my front & rear tires, so this works well when I could start losing traction in the front, but not yet in the rear, and it helps keep me moving fwd.

With all Diff's locked, there is no longer any speed difference between my two rear tires. This seems to help me when I'm on a icy road that is covered with a slick dusting of snow, and thus verrrry difficult to retain composure.

Of course I can only use these when I want to drive at less than 20 mph.

My biggest challenge / question with this 958 CTT,... is how do I travel at 60 mph on a snow covered highway (when no one else is out there), and I want more traction control. My old 4Runner did a great job in 4WD at 60mph. This Cayenne seems to not be as good with just simply allowing the AWD & its basic traction control trying to do its job. Last winter I ended up sideways in a similar scenario (although only doing 35mph on a snow covered road).

I'm open to suggestion on how I could change my habits, to better suit terrain.

{(< off road pic coming soon >)}
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 11-18-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: corrections based on 957austin & wrinklepants edits
Old 11-18-2015, 11:59 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

You don't need any of the diffs locked for snow or icy roads. The car is more than capable of moving power around to the tire that has traction. The 4Runner has basic traction control, where the CTT is quite advanced. if your CTT isn't as good as a 4runner on an icy snowy road, then you have a tire problem or, I hate to say this, but a driver problem.

What tires do you have on for the winter and what size? PSM on or off when you went sideways?
Old 11-18-2015, 01:50 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Ahhh, good point, I did not yet have the brand new all-season tires & 19" rims that I JUST bought, and will use this winter. So you are right, I guess that was a bad comparison. I had only owned the car for 2 days & was driving it to the inspection station on summer rubber 21's.

re: good or bad winter driver? probably so. I'm hard on myself. But I did grow up driving in the Adirondacks of NY, in a rear wheel drive '69 Chevelle (& when my Dad would let me take his 633csi out for a spin).
Old 11-18-2015, 01:58 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Even with A/S tires, it won't be as good as a 4runner, which would have much more aggressive A/S tires. You'll get around, but don't expect outstanding performance. If you want to feel all the capability the Cayenne has for snowy roads, you need snow tires.

The CTT with snow tires will still push you back into the seat on a snowy road. It's pretty remarkable. I hate snow tires on dry pavement, but it's so worth it when the roads are bad.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:09 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
from my 958 perspective (2012),...

Yes it is true we cannot lock ONLY the rear differential by itself, but indeed we do actually have one. All three differentials can be locked, but in a specific combination order.

If I push the "Off-Road-Diff-Lock-Button" up once, it locks the Center Diff (used for mild terrain).

Push a 2nd time & it adds the Front Diff (now both are locked, and I use this for Sand, medium terrain, and circumstance where I still want PSM to stay on).

Push a 3rd time, and all three Diffs are locked (PSM automatically turns off, used in deep track ruts, crossing logs or boulders, or on very slippery surfaces).
I don't have a 958, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the first push is for off road traction control programming, the second push locks the center differential, and the third push locks the rear diff available only on vehicles equipped with PTV.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Originally Posted by Villian

How did you tackle that pond, without risking full hydrolock? Did you go outside and depth-test first?
Old 11-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Villian
Instructor

How did you tackle that pond, without risking full hydrolock? Did you go outside and depth-test first?
Nope. It was actually a stream..I was driving upstream haha. I just went slow enough that if it became too deep I could back out and take a different route, as long as there were no sudden drops or anything like that.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:38 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 957austin
I don't have a 958, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the first push is for off road traction control programming, the second push locks the center differential, and the third push locks the rear diff available only on vehicles equipped with PTV.
You must be right. It's been since Feb since I tried it out (2nd day of ownership), the ONLY time we had snow to try things out on (on way to State Inspection). I was only reading my manual sitting here.

wrinklepants - pls remember, I live in a area of the country where any snow storm that hits, only leaves it on the road for maybe 1 or 2 days. It's just not tough enough here to warrant snow tires. So it's mostly cold asphalt primarily, AND I need to drive it to NC in the Spring for a Kiteboarding trip I take every year (so debating tires here is not really the intention).

In the end I did not hear any other recommendation from you guys (usage), so I guess I'm on par.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:49 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Oh I'm not saying YOU should be on snow tires. If those were the conditions where I lived, I'd be doing the same thing - running A/S tires year round. I'm just providing context to your comparison of the Cayenne's snow performance compared to a 4Runner.

Quick Reply: Pics of your Cayenne off-road!