Sponsored by:

09 Cayenne 957 TTS, thinking about buying, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Sabie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Cayenne 957 TTS, thinking about buying, need help

I am looking to buy 09 957 TTS with 60K miles, it is under CPO now and they are rebuilding the entire motor due to cylinder scoring. All parts will be new with the exception of the block, Dealer tells me that it will be approx 30K to do this work under CPO,

I am only buying once the motor is done and they have a new CPO for me to go on until 2017.

I currently have 2002 996TT and 06 Cayenne S, very happy with both of the P-cars especially with the Cayenne b/c temp here is -40 degree F for atleast 2 months on / off during the winter, I have not seen any issues with my 955CS. 996TT sits in the storage almost 5 months a year so I decided to trade that car in for 957TTS to get best of both worlds for summer and winter.

I think it’s a great buy on this 957 TTS with rebuilt motor but I wanted to get input from people who own 957 TT-S to see what they think. No PCCB’s but every other option is there.

Thank you in advance
Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting to hear you are in a cold climate and the engine failure is on the turbo (which I assume is from the same place). Internet theory has it only NA engines were affected with this because the turbo has oil squirters. Most complaints for scored cylinder are for the 955 CS. There are of course no hard numbers, just a trend.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Go for it, I love my '09 TTS.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

The block is made of Alusil, which is a high silicon content aluminum. There are no cylinder liners. The foundry that makes the blocks for the Cayenne has a multi- step process for honing down the alum on the cylinder walls and leaving the silicon crystals standing proud. The Ra is extremely important as well as the techniques involved. Sunnen makes some paste and special stones that some have succesfully used to re-finish the cylinders in an Alusil block. However, it's going to be nowhere near as good as the OEM process.

1. I would be concerned that with the depth of the actual scoring exactly how much material will have to be removed on the very worst cylinder to get a correction?
2. Will all the cylinders be honed to that oversize?
3. What process are they using to correct the block?
4. If they are going to Nikasil the block, will the machine shop doing the final hone be using a torque plate?
5. If they are using an ductile iron sleeve what type will it be? Flanged? Sleeving an aluminum block with iron sleeves is a critical process and not to be taken lightly if you want lasting results.
6. What are the details of the warranty?

I would try to talk them out of whatever they may be doing and just sending your block to LN engineering for a sleeve job with Alusil liners. It would probably be cheaper than what they are considering. In this instance I would recommend that stock pistons be used instead of 2618 Forgings. The softer 2618 forgings may be stronger but they are also softer and realisticly you cannot expect more than 100k at max before new ones are needed. 2618 forgings are not neccesary for a stock DD. You could also wind up with piston slap on a 2618 forging when cold and you may not be prepared to deal with that.

I highly doubt you dealer or their contracted machine shop is qualified to tackle a proper rebuild of the short block. A new block from Porsche (if you can get one) is going to be succeptible to the same fate.

Be careful with this venture.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Sabie
AutoX

I am no expert but we have so many 955cs here and are driven all year so I don't think cold climate is an issues with these cars.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Sabie
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
The block is made of Alusil, which is a high silicon content aluminum. There are no cylinder liners. The foundry that makes the blocks for the Cayenne has a multi- step process for honing down the alum on the cylinder walls and leaving the silicon crystals standing proud. The Ra is extremely important as well as the techniques involved. Sunnen makes some paste and special stones that some have succesfully used to re-finish the cylinders in an Alusil block. However, it's going to be nowhere near as good as the OEM process.

1. I would be concerned that with the depth of the actual scoring exactly how much material will have to be removed on the very worst cylinder to get a correction?
2. Will all the cylinders be honed to that oversize?
3. What process are they using to correct the block?
4. If they are going to Nikasil the block, will the machine shop doing the final hone be using a torque plate?
5. If they are using an ductile iron sleeve what type will it be? Flanged? Sleeving an aluminum block with iron sleeves is a critical process and not to be taken lightly if you want lasting results.
6. What are the details of the warranty?

I would try to talk them out of whatever they may be doing and just sending your block to LN engineering for a sleeve job with Alusil liners. It would probably be cheaper than what they are considering. In this instance I would recommend that stock pistons be used instead of 2618 Forgings. The softer 2618 forgings may be stronger but they are also softer and realisticly you cannot expect more than 100k at max before new ones are needed. 2618 forgings are not neccesary for a stock DD. You could also wind up with piston slap on a 2618 forging when cold and you may not be prepared to deal with that.

I highly doubt you dealer or their contracted machine shop is qualified to tackle a proper rebuild of the short block. A new block from Porsche (if you can get one) is going to be succeptible to the same fate.

Be careful with this venture.
Ty Mr. Haney for your detailed advice, I will find out more from my dealer about the block, they were talking about sleeve or fixing the block if needed somehow.

Warranty will be 2 years from the time I buy it, they were originally going to replace the motor with refurbished motor so I don't know which is better.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Sabie
AutoX

Originally Posted by CT944
Go for it, I love my '09 TTS.
Beauty,

my son is 14 now and he won't let me sell my H1 otherwise I would brand new 958TTS but I think this 09 has very aggressive look to it, we have very few CTTS cars here and therefore are hard to come by so I decided to jump on it.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Good move!
Old 03-07-2015, 11:37 PM
16thgreen
Intermediate

There are no bad '09CTTS - only bad deals... whatever the hell that means. Enjoy, they're fantastic cars.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have '09 in limited edition Lava Grey, pretty fully-optioned except for PCCB.

Drove this car in Colorado, now in Florida. It's a beast!

Rear tires seem to go twice as quick as the front, I didn't rotate them the first go-around but will going forward. I use the Pirelli summer performance tires. (Btw, I have a set of Pirelli scorpion snow and ice with 3000 miles that I will sell cheap!! 21s, 295/35)

The PCM in this vintage is known to get a little wonky Was originally due to some bad code downloaded from XM radio. If you experience randomnPCM reboot, just ask dealer to re-flash the system.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Sabie
AutoX

Originally Posted by Hammer911

Rear tires seem to go twice as quick as the front, I didn't rotate them the first go-around but will going forward. I use the Pirelli summer performance tires. (Btw, I have a set of Pirelli scorpion snow and ice with 3000 miles that I will sell cheap!! 21s, 295/35)

The PCM in this vintage is known to get a little wonky Was originally due to some bad code downloaded from XM radio. If you experience randomnPCM reboot, just ask dealer to re-flash the system.
Ty, mine has 3 set of tires and rims, factory 21's never used + 22' for summer and set of winter but don't know the size. I will the thread on my Winter tires and get back to you.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:48 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911

Before I picked up my new 14 CTTS last Friday with the winter 20" 274/45/20s on it. ( they offered to store the 21s, but I took them home with me) I told them I wanted it aligned but I told them I didn't want any Range Rover/Porsche/BMW alignment toe-in alignment. I told them I wanted "all 4 tyres dead flat" and go dead straight no toe, no special track adjustments or for New England crowned roads etc" . You might want to do the same to avoid excessive tyre wear. Unless you are on a track 24/7 you won't notice that much of a difference other than the tyres lasting 30-35K instead of 15-18K.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:03 PM
snzuloz
Instructor

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
Before I picked up my new 14 CTTS last Friday with the winter 20" 274/45/20s on it. ( they offered to store the 21s, but I took them home with me) I told them I wanted it aligned but I told them I didn't want any Range Rover/Porsche/BMW alignment toe-in alignment. I told them I wanted "all 4 tyres dead flat" and go dead straight no toe, no special track adjustments or for New England crowned roads etc" . You might want to do the same to avoid excessive tyre wear. Unless you are on a track 24/7 you won't notice that much of a difference other than the tyres lasting 30-35K instead of 15-18K.
Great post, keep in mind if you have air suspension lock it into the mode you will be using primarily, otherwise those measurements will be altered and throw this out the window.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:11 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by snzuloz
Great post, keep in mind if you have air suspension lock it into the mode you will be using primarily, otherwise those measurements will be altered and throw this out the window.
Correct, the Porsche master tech told me they aligned mine for the " aero" mode which it will be in most of the time with my 90+% driving at 65,75,85,95 mph,+++ speeds.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
The block is made of Alusil, which is a high silicon content aluminum. There are no cylinder liners. The foundry that makes the blocks for the Cayenne has a multi- step process for honing down the alum on the cylinder walls and leaving the silicon crystals standing proud. The Ra is extremely important as well as the techniques involved. Sunnen makes some paste and special stones that some have succesfully used to re-finish the cylinders in an Alusil block. However, it's going to be nowhere near as good as the OEM process. 1. I would be concerned that with the depth of the actual scoring exactly how much material will have to be removed on the very worst cylinder to get a correction? 2. Will all the cylinders be honed to that oversize? 3. What process are they using to correct the block? 4. If they are going to Nikasil the block, will the machine shop doing the final hone be using a torque plate? 5. If they are using an ductile iron sleeve what type will it be? Flanged? Sleeving an aluminum block with iron sleeves is a critical process and not to be taken lightly if you want lasting results. 6. What are the details of the warranty? I would try to talk them out of whatever they may be doing and just sending your block to LN engineering for a sleeve job with Alusil liners. It would probably be cheaper than what they are considering. In this instance I would recommend that stock pistons be used instead of 2618 Forgings. The softer 2618 forgings may be stronger but they are also softer and realisticly you cannot expect more than 100k at max before new ones are needed. 2618 forgings are not neccesary for a stock DD. You could also wind up with piston slap on a 2618 forging when cold and you may not be prepared to deal with that. I highly doubt you dealer or their contracted machine shop is qualified to tackle a proper rebuild of the short block. A new block from Porsche (if you can get one) is going to be succeptible to the same fate. Be careful with this venture.
You sir, are a freaking genius.

Quick Reply: 09 Cayenne 957 TTS, thinking about buying, need help