Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

move selector lever to position P - fault

Old 03-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Shifter
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default move selector lever to position P - fault

Wifes 04 cayenne consistently shows this message when turning the car off, probably 9 out of 10 times. She has the entry and drive feature, so the physical key isnt in the ignition, only the dummy key which is nice, but you do get that buzzing like you left the lights on or something. we've become accustomed to it, but it is annoying, and it did cause me to leave the lights on once (had the fogs on) and drain the battery because we are so used to the sound. anyone have a fix for this? i checked the VW forums, rennlist, and never saw anyone who really had an answer. i will say that if you turn the ignition on (without starting it) then back to the off position, 9 times out of 10 it THEN thinks the lever is in position P. wanted to get thoughts before i tear into the console to see whats going on.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:58 AM
soin
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

recently had the same message appearing, but for us was random whilst in motion, i also heard what i thought were associated relay clicking sounds from behind speedo cluster.. one weekend i tore into the car (04 turbo ) removing the shifter assembly and then moving on to the dash binnacle trying to get behind the clocks . my local indy suggested firstly to check the battery age and if it hadn't been changed within the last 3 or so yrs then replace it, they strongly advised an OE spec and nothing else, they sourced me the same battery from VW for $270 vs my local OPC at $560. Once fitted it instantly resolved the problem, apparently the cayenne is very sensitive electronically to batteries operating below peak,
for the record, whilst i was trying to sort the issue i did remove the battery and had it tested at the auto parts superstore, they reported the battery to be operating perfectly "a very strong battery " said spotty teen..

goes to show even if it tests good it can still cause problems, had the new battery for around 4 months now and alls good

good luck
Old 03-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Shifter
AutoX

interesting...but for me its never while driving. ON the toureg forums plenty of people have this message, some while driving, some while trying to remove the key. i guess next move is to tear into the shifter assembly, as someone had mentioned a magnet attatched to a plastic shroud around the shifter base that can crack and cause an issue.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 PM
sangdo
2nd Gear

I just returned my Porsche cayenne 2008 base from Porsche dealer factory which had the key stuck problem.
I post the mechanic's explanation about repair. It is written in Spanish because I am here in El Salvador. It is followed by Google translation.

" trabajo realizado acayenne;
Se realizó diagnóstico de sistema eléctrico de caja de velocidades para determinar donde se encontraba el problema reportado el cual nos llevó a revisar del sistema eléctrico y mecánico de caballete de palanca de velocidades, se desarmo caballete de palanca de velocidades para corregir desajuste en mecanismo de control.
vehículo presenta fuga de aceite en sistema hidráulico(radiador) de caja de velocidades, es necesario revisar y reparar fuga."

"I work cayenne;
Diagnosis of electrical system gearbox is performed to determine where the problem reported which led us to review the electrical and mechanical easel shifter was, easel shifter was disarmed to correct mismatch control mechanism."
Old 01-19-2016, 03:43 PM
PupC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went thru this.... and fixed it... In my case it was the shift cable adjustment... The shifter needed to be removed and cable adjusted. Takes about 30 minutes...

Once the shifter has been removed from the chassis, lift up and pull back on the shifter control box, towards the back seat. Make sure shifter is in Park, loosen the allen head screw that connects the shift cable to the underside of the control box and pull the cable toward the front of the car, this will remove any slack in the cable...

Now tighten the allen head screw while keeping tension on the cable... It doesn't take much slack in the cable to make the shifter think it's in gear or neutral.

From my prior post:

My CTT has been displaying this message. It was corrected yesterday ... The shift lever cable needed adjustment... The cable that connects to the shifter connects via a elongated slot ...

To adjust, the shifter must be removed and the allen head screw that attaches the cable must be loosened, selector in park , then the cable pulled so that the the screw can be tightened with the cable pulled all the way forward in the slot..... Hard to describe... If it is off even 1/8' the selector doesn't know what gear it is in... In my case I had what appeared to be another detent for drive..

If the adjustment is far enough out of whack, you may have to put vehicle in neutral, (if you can find it), just to start the car. Mine was waaaay off! To the point of putting vehicle in Park wasn't park, it was actually in reverse, and the car would roll back if I left ignition on!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 PM
timwu12
Instructor

I know this is resolved now, but a common cause for this issue is also a ripped or ripping shift gate trim piece. there are magnets on the trim piece that tell a sensor where the shifter location is at. if the trim piece is ripped, it'll throw it off

here's an article on replacing it: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
Old 01-20-2016, 09:01 AM
PupC
Rennlist Member

Absoluelty check the shift gate first, It will be obvious if that is bad.... Mine was fine but I replaced it anyway... I even ordered a new shifter! and tried that... Wasn't the issue at all...and I now have a brand new oem shifter
Old 10-07-2016, 01:56 AM
georgeramosjr
Intermediate

My 2004 Cayenne V6 was having the "Move Selector Level to P position" error.

Basically if I turned the car on and off I could get the key out with no problem. However, if I put the car into great and put it back on park I would get the "Move Selector Level to Position P" error, been though the car was in park. I would then need to turn the car on and off again without leaving the Parking gear In order for the key to be released.

It can be seen here on YouTube.

I took apart the shifter gear box and think I tracked down the issue. After one takes out the cover for the shifter you come to what looks like an LED circuit board for the gears indicators. I removed this and now I no longer have the issue. With 2 small side effect, I can't access triptonic from the shifter, only from the steering wheel control and the gears no longer have any lights. If that makes sense. I am trying to track down this part to replace it to see if that fixes the issue or if the price on is deeper within the gearbox. Personally, I'm more than willing to live with out that board.

I posted a video on YouTube

Solution:

Old 11-29-2016, 11:21 PM
timwu12
Instructor

george, it's been a few weeks now since you've done this, have you had any other issues after taking off that logic board from the shifter?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:05 AM
PupC
Rennlist Member

Guys,

After a year of chasing this issue, I have found the REAL fix and cause... I have the TSB at home, and will post it later, but, I found it on the Touareg Site...

The issue is with water, from rain or otherwise, leaks into the door handles, causing a short or incomplete circuit in the KESSEY system... Disconnecting the Kessey plug on the door will fix the issue, permanently... By doing this, the Key FOB will still lock and unlock the doors, only the lock /unlock function by touching the button on the exterior door handle is disabled...

The only other option is to replace the effected door handle(s), which I understand is a real science project...

Use your Durametric to determine which door handle(s) is having the issue and then remove the effected door panel(s), the is a small plug that is easy to get to for the Kessey, unplug it and put the door handle back on... Sorry, I have no pix... In my case BOTH passenger side handles had an issue...

Glad to have found this issue and it so great no having this issue any longer!
Old 12-02-2016, 03:42 PM
PupC
Rennlist Member

The TSB is : vw.tb.57 08 07

vw.tb.57-08-05 Door, Cannot be Locked with Exterior Door Handle Button.pdf (61.5 KB, 565 views)
Old 12-02-2016, 03:48 PM
PupC
Rennlist Member

Technical Bulletin
Page 1 of 3
© 2008 Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
All rights reserved. Information contained in this document is based on the latest information available at the time of printing and is subject to the copyright and other intellectual
property rights of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc., its affiliated companies and its licensors. All rights are reserved to make changes at any time without notice. No part of this
document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, nor may these
materials be modified or reposted to other sites, without the prior expressed written permission of the publisher.
Model(s) Year Eng. Code Trans. Code VIN Range From VIN Range To
Touareg 2004 - 2006 All All All 7L_6D018027
Condition
57 08 07 May. 5, 2008 2017402 Supersedes T. B. Group 57 number 08-05 dated Mar. 14, 2008 due to additional
symptom.
Door, Cannot be Locked with Exterior Door Handle Button; “Shift to Park” Displayed on Instrument
Cluster
Operating exterior door handle button does not lock vehicle or “Shift to Park” displayed on the instrument cluster
without activation of door handle button.
Technical Background
Corrosion of door handle electronics affects ability to lock doors at exterior door handle. “Shift to Park” may also
be seen on instrument cluster without door handle button being activated.
Production Solution
Improved part as of VIN 7L_6D018028
Service
Check outside door handle central locking button status with VAS 5051/5052. Use guided functions to monitor the
following Measured Value Blocks (MVB) under Central Control Module for Convenience System:
MVB 1_4 - Driver's Outside Door Handle Central Locking Button -E369-
MVB 7_4 - Passenger's Outside Door Handle Central Locking Button -E370-
MVB 8_4 - Left Rear Outside Door Handle Central Locking Button -E371-
MVB 9_4 - Right Rear Outside Door Handle Central Locking Button -E372-
Press outside door handle lock button. If status DOES NOT change from NOT OPERATED to OPERATED,
replace door handle.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:50 PM
PupC
Rennlist Member

File Type: pdfvw.tb.57-08-05 Door, Cannot be Locked with Exterior Door Handle Button.pdf
Old 12-02-2016, 04:06 PM
timwu12
Instructor

can you tell us where to look in the durametric to test the door handles?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:10 PM
PupC
Rennlist Member

Actually, the Durametric is not needed to test... Lock the doors and attempt to unlock by pushing the black button on each door handle.. The ones that unlock the car are fine... The bad ones wont lock it...

Or vice versa, unlock all the doors and attempt to lock by pressing the black button on the door, if they lock that handle is fine, if wont lock, that's the bad one(s).

Can't remember where in the Durametric to find it, but, it should not be too hard to poke around and find it... It may show in a full scan as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: move selector lever to position P - fault