Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got to pick up my 2015 Cayenne S eHybrid

Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a great site that has a ton of pics of various angles and detail shots of many options. This may be helpful to those looking at ordering. I personally found this site to be much more informative then the Porsche site.

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/cayenne/958.2/
Old 02-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, congrats and enjoy!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:38 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't order the 7.2 kW charger what charger do you get?

I love my Volt and have over 36K miles (33K electric only) and have been waiting for a plug-in SUV. I love the idea that you can charge the battery while on ICE. I borrowed a friends Suburban for a trip to the mountains this past weekend - Gas hog and loud. Once you get used to the quiet electric mode around town it's hard to go back.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Debating on whether to change my Macan order to a Cayenne SEH.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:41 PM
997xpress
Racer

BTW - is there any way to add an aftermarket trailer hitch for just carrying bikes? I wonder if there are mount points for something from e-trailer, etc.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997xpress
If you don't order the 7.2 kW charger what charger do you get?
The default charger is 3.6kw. Roughly 3hrs to charge on a 220v system.

As far as the hitch... I am not sure. I ended up ordering the Roof Rails to carry bikes (I road bike a lot). When I am just taking one bike, it fits nicely in the cargo area w/o removing wheels. I have the roof rails for times I need to take two.

I would GUESS that someone could mount one for light duty (bike rack). But will wait and let someone else be the tester for that.

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 02-10-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:54 PM
997xpress
Racer

Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
The default charger is 3.6kw. Roughly 3hrs to charge on a 220v system.

As far as the hitch... I am not sure. I ended up ordering the Roof Rails to carry bikes (I road bike a lot). When I am just taking one bike, it fits nicely in the cargo area w/o removing wheels. I have the roof rails for times I need to take two.

I would GUESS that someone could mount one for light duty (bike rack). But will wait and let someone else be the tester for that.
Thanks
Old 02-12-2015, 03:48 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Really nice! Love the redesign of the new model. One of the nicest colors I've ever seen on a Cayenne. GT silver?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:29 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by svb
Really nice! Love the redesign of the new model. One of the nicest colors I've ever seen on a Cayenne. GT silver?
It's Meteor Grey. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Unkulunkulu
Cruisin'

Good thoughts. We just recently picked up our 2015 Cayenne E-Hybrid from the Bellevue Porsche dealership.

We went with the Premium Plus package, PCM, Mahogany Exterior and Gray Interior, Bose Sound System. It actually turned out better than I thought it would've. The vehicle is pretty sharp. I loved the little tweak with the rear window blinders, which opens and closes electronically, rather than manually. The center console is still typical big Porsche mess, but I guess Porsche sees it as their "interface" signature, as if we're supposed to be wowed by the complexity.

We're averaging roughly 17 miles on e-juice at this point per drive. It's good for "one way trip" for most of our needs, I must admit I wish Porsche didn't go cheap in the range section, at least hit 30-50 miles (like Volt does), but it is what it is. The battery looks easily replaceable, so hopefully someday I'll be able to swap out the battery with other one with higher energy density without breaking the bank.

Is there any particular website in which will allow our vehicle to communicate our "stat" automatically? Some way for our smart-phones to communicate with our car to gather those data?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:50 PM
997xpress
Racer

I thought I'd also ask my questions here as well. Been driving a Volt for 3+ years and 45K of electric miles but the lease on my 991 is ending soon and was thinking about the SEH.

DON'T mean to thread jack - but the SEH owners are far and few...

Cayenne SEH questions:

Finally managed a test drive in a Cayenne SEH from a local dealer. Hoping someone can answer a few questions.

I had asked that they fully charge the battery before my test drive but they did not. Only had 2 miles of electric range. With this low of a range will the gas engine kick in more often? I ask because I switched to electric mode but did notice the gas engine coming on during my test drive. Is there e detent on the gas pedal even when in e-power that starts up the ICE? Is it reasonable to drive in all electric mode (e-power) on a freeway commute of 20 miles without having to feather the 'go' pedal? What is the 'normal' e-range that shows when the battery is fully charged? When starting the car with ample or full e-charge I assume the ICE does not start up at all. Is this true? I would hope that my normal commute of less than 20 miles of errands with a full charge means I'd never start the gas engine...

I also noticed the range-to-empty showed 415 miles (with 2 miles of battery remaining). Does the Cayenne have an extra large fuel tank or is this just optimistic computer calculations?

Also what is the little icon (button?) next to the charge port, is it a light or charge indicator?

I was very impressed with the power in normal and Sport mode. The car had the nice 21' wheels and looked great but the option list (below) did not include many things I would want.

4A3 - Seat Heating (Front)
4D3 - Seat Ventilation (Front)
7E7 - Auxiliary Cabin Conditioning1
9Q - Meteor Grey Metallic
9VL - Bose® Surround Sound System
EH2 - Vehicle Cable (25 ft)
MA - Standard Interior in Black
OPC - Porsche Universal Charger (AC)
PE5 - Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
PJC - Premium Package
PJU - Infotainment Package w/ HD Radio
U01 - 21" 911 Turbo Design Wheels

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have answers.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

I posted the same answer in the other forum also...but figured I would paste it here for anyone else with similar questions that is just on this one...

Glad you had the chance to drive the SEH. Funny that dealers dont feel the need to charge the eHybrids. I went to test drive a panamera when I was looking and specifically asked them to charge it so I could test the electric mode...didnt happen, even with 24 hours notice. Then when I picked up my vehicle it wasnt charged either. jeez.

To answer your questions:
Will the ICE kick in more often if the battery is low - no, it will operate the same way until it is too low for the battery to be useful. The only exception that I noticed is if I have about 2 miles left and manually switch off ePower mode, it may not go back to electric when I switch it back on (until it has more charge)... the cars seems to figure that it is low enough to just stay in normal hybrid mode, saving the battery for stop/go traffic.

Notch on the gas peddle travel. I think that is always there as it is a physical resistance at the 40% of power level. But I have a hard time feeling it....so I am not 100% sure on this point.

Reasonable to drive 20 miles commute. - for commuting the ePower mode is more than enough power for anything but hard acceleration. I always drive mine in power ePower mode until the battery runs below 20%. In fact, this week I have been working from home and only driven around town (less then 15 miles / day) and have not started my ICE at all over the last 5 days of driving.

Normal ERange displayed. Mine normally shows 15-17 miles after a full charge. It is really based (I believe) on how you used the battery the last few times. Just like any fuel estimate range, it is not a perfect science...but I consistently get 16-17 miles on my charge. In fact, on my normally commute it runs out at the same place every time... regardless of what the Guess Meter said. The ICE motor does not come on during the battery span unless you call for more power (floor the throttle). I dont think you will get 20 miles (per your question), but you should get 16 of the 20 on pure electric. An exception here is if the car feels it needs to cool or heat the battery or run the motor for some other reason (rare).

Gas Range estimate. The gas range estimate is definitely inaccurate due to the variables on the SEH. I find I always go MUCH further then it says. I think it is based on just gas mileage calcs and does not include ePower. The SEH actually has a SMALLER gas tank then the normal Cayenne (21.1 for the SEH and 26 for the others). I think this is to make room for the battery in the back. I am currently on 460 miles on my tank and have nearly 1/2 of it left. On your commute (you mentioned 20 miles), you will get very high mileage, using your ICE for only about 3-4 miles.

And lastly, the button next to the charge port. That is the button for delayed charging (you plug it in at home but don't want to charge until rates are low). I have never used that, as my rates are flat all day.

I hope you decide to go with the SEH, as I love mine so far.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:53 AM
997xpress
Racer

thanks again
Old 05-24-2015, 06:50 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Robotpedlr. Remeber me from last year, I said my Cayenne SeH was going to arrive in september 2015, 9 month wait. Well, it's going to get here faster. End of june, begin of july is new SeH time ... finally ...
Old 05-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by bccars
Hi Robotpedlr. Remeber me from last year, I said my Cayenne SeH was going to arrive in september 2015, 9 month wait. Well, it's going to get here faster. End of june, begin of july is new SeH time ... finally ...
Awesome...looking forward to hearing about your impression after you pick it up. I hated the long waiting period, but it sounds like your wait is almost over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally got to pick up my 2015 Cayenne S eHybrid