Sponsored by:

Unable to perform emissions imspection

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:11 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Unable to perform emissions imspection

Had my 2013 CD in to the dealer last week and they said they had to reset the computer and I'd need to drive it 50 miles before I could get an emissions done, but I've been almost 100 and when I just tried to get it done the inspector says the computer is reporting as not ready.

Specifically its the Cat and O2 sensor that are not reporting as ready.

They suggested driving some more and bringing it back or taking it to the dealer.

I've got a call into the dealer to see what I need to do, but I'm not holding my breath that they'll call back in a timely manner.

Does anyone here know the proper procedure to follow after a system reset before all the systems will report as ready?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

its drive cycles. Not just miles. So heat, cool, start, stop, drive, etc. Any decent OBDII scanner can tell you if the system is 'ready'. Maybe there is a set formula but I don't know what it is.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I was talking to my old dealer several months ago about the procedure on my 993, he made the comment that the process for setting the readiness indicators on the diesel was far more difficult than it is on any 993. They wound up taking the vehicles on a local national parkway (low traffic volume) to run the procedure.

If you look in the 993 forum and search for "BMW drive cycles" you will find the procedure we use for the 993's, maybe it will work on yours.

Best of luck, hope yours doesn't prove too difficult.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:13 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I don't know if I can go in the 993 forum. I might start thinking neither my 958 or her 996 are real Porsches and get urges to remove the cooling systems...

Thanks for the pointer
Old 11-26-2014, 04:30 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

So I heard back from the dealer (after another voicemail) and I really want to smack them.

I took it last week to have the tranny looked at (rough low speed/coasting shifts) and to have the emissions done. They upgraded the transmission firmware and reset the computers and told me they couldn't do the emissions until it had been driven for "50 miles or so".

Now their response is to bring it to them on Monday and they'll "use our reader to enable those modules".

So A) if a reset was in the cards (which is almost always the first "fix" for such issues) why didn't they do the emissions first and B) if the PIWIS can make it so the testing can be done, why didn't they do that rather than wasting my time and money (damn DMV took $20 to extend my registration a month)?

Not sure if I'm more or
Old 11-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

My understanding is the PIWIS can set some of the Readiness Indicators but not all. If you have access to a OBDII code reader you should be able to see which ones are set and which are not (this is assuming Porsche hasn't done something exotic with the diesel and OBDII). I would be curious which ones they can and cannot set.

In the top pic the 2 rows of small black circles (with the "done" beside them) indicate the 8 readiness indicators are all "set".

In the bottom pic only the first 3 readiness indicators are set, you would see the other 5 blinking indicating they're not set.

It may very well be that on the diesel the system works very differently, please let us know what you find out.

Edit: Just reread the OP, I would be surprised if the PIWIS can set the cat and O2 sensors but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Also, just a quick Google search produced this link with some info on the diesel differences (no O2 sensor).

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:07 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Hmmm. Don't know about other diesels, but mine has O2 sensors. Auto Atlanta confirms that i'm seeing what i think i'm seeing when i'm under there.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:56 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Took it to the dealer on Monday and they did the emissions just fine, but didn't give me anymore detail than "we plugged up the tester".

Now what gets me is I was looking at the state inspection results and all the tests are N/A. We looked up the details on the state's site and the only test the diesels have to pass is the ODB scan (works and no emissions codes). No exhaust check or visual inspection.

So I read that as disabling the DEF system is perfectly OK so long as I can prevent it from throwing CELs. I'll wait until after the warranty expires before I mess with that though
Old 12-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

It always makes me more curious when they tell you so little about the repair, I look at it like they would be more willing to expand on the repair if it truly was something simple, but that's just me.

When I lived in Nashville they did the OBDll hookup, tested the gas cap and did a visual inspection. The car I had the most difficulty with was my '97 BMW M3 due to evap and air injection system faults. The 993 which can be a real bitch on some cars was a breeze on both my 993's, all indicators set as they should during the drive cycle and never threw a CEL.

It was funny when they did a visual inspection on the 993's, looking under the car up by the front wheels and back to the rear wheels but never where the engine/exhaust system actually is. They did spend a few extra seconds on the Cayenne after I replaced the secondary cats and replaced them with the Fabspeed Bypass pipes, but they passed me (the secondary cats are not monitored by the OBDll system).

Anyhow, glad you got it resolved.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:12 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Wait. You have inspections down in FL? It sure doesn't show with some of the crap I see on the roads when I'm down visiting my parents.

I do miss the old torn off cardboard "tag applied for" plates. I would have gone years without plates if I lived down there back then
Old 12-03-2014, 02:31 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

To avoid issues with your state, be sure no one hooks it up to an official test computer before its ready to test.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by gnat
Wait. You have inspections down in FL? It sure doesn't show with some of the crap I see on the roads when I'm down visiting my parents.

I do miss the old torn off cardboard "tag applied for" plates. I would have gone years without plates if I lived down there back then
Originally Posted by 993BillW
When I lived in Nashville they did the OBDll hookup, tested the gas cap and did a visual inspection. The car I had the most difficulty with was my '97 BMW M3 due to evap and air injection system faults. ...

Anyhow, glad you got it resolved.
Nope, FL did away with their inspections a few decades ago. When I first started driving (lived in the Orlando area before the arrival of the mouse) they did a full inspection, checked brake performance, headlight aiming, ball joints ect., even checked that the horn worked! Not anymore.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:09 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Meh. Reading is for sissies

That makes more sense as you sure do have some crazy crap on the roads in FL.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Don't I know it. Take some back with you next time please!

Quick Reply: Unable to perform emissions imspection