Sponsored by:

New '05 Cayenne Turbo owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:04 PM
khowell
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '05 Cayenne Turbo owner

Greetings all. I've been "lurking" here for a while as I was looking for a new daily driver. The posts have been very helpful in my decision making process.

I just took possession of a 61k mile 2005 CTT. I don't have any pics yet, but will post some in a few days. Jarama Beige with natural interior. Very clean and straight.

I bought this car sight unseen and had it shipped to Boise from Chicago. Until they unloaded it from the truck, I'd never been a Porsche owner or driven or sat in a Cayenne.......

Clean carfax, 2 owner non-smoking car. Brand new tires. According to some of the paperwork, it appears it was owned by an air force general for most of its life. Seems very solid; remarkably fast. The only thing I've done to it so far is gas it up, check the oil and replace a turn signal light (the headlight removal and replacement was pretty slick!).

I'm taking it in to the local Porsche dealer early next week for a complete review and a routine servicing.

I've seen all the threads here about the big items (coils, coolant tubes, cardan, etc.), and I'll of course have all of that checked out.

I've steeled myself to spend some money on it, and I understand that they aren't cheap to work on.

As a reference point, this replaces my '93 Ford Explorer as my DD. Prior rides include: '85 Jeep Cherokee V6 (the crappy motor), '78 Fiat Spyder and a 1971 Triumph TR6 (which I wish I still had at today's prices from when I sold it in the early 90's). I'm hoping the CTT is a material improvement (and of course in terms of performance and luxury it clearly is).

In the past I've driven cars until the wheels fall off (and in the case of the Explorer, this was a distinct possibility at 148k).

While I hope this new ride lasts a good long while, I do look forward to your advice as the expected "issues" arise.

No specific questions yet; just wanted to make an introduction. Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:06 PM
khowell
Rennlist Member

Oh.....and of course one of my first purchases was membership here at rennlist and over at renntech.....
Old 11-06-2014, 02:59 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome and congrats! No messing, straight to the turbo, good call.

61k is pretty good for an '05 although with that low mileage it may not yet have manifested any of the normal issues. Coolant pipes would be the first priority in my opinion if they haven't been replaced yet.

Cardan shaft will start banging under the arm rest when it's on it's way out and the coils will probably throw a code with some rough running.

As far as working on them, if you are reasonably competent with a spanner they aren't too bad, some of the engine access is a bit cramped, but thing like brake pads are no different than other cars.

Enjoy!
Old 11-06-2014, 04:27 PM
khowell
Rennlist Member

Pretty handy with tools (a necessity with my old Fiat and Triumph, of course), but any more a matter of lack of time than anything. I figured I'd get the baseline on the dealer inspection and go from there......
Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

congrats on the new ride! 65k on the clock is real low. I just picked up an 05 with 140k on it last week! check the lower control arms and load test battery, mine had some idle issues because of a weak battery. The rear hatch struts are likely shot too! Good luck and hope you get to enjoy the ride for a long time!

Quick Reply: New '05 Cayenne Turbo owner