Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Entry & Drive/Unlocking thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Villian
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another Entry & Drive/Unlocking thread...

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I searched and couldn't find it so I'm hoping you guys can give me some clarification.

Right now my car (04' Cayenne S) unlocks when..
1. I grab a door handle and pull
2. Use the key and insert it into the lock

Locks when..
1. Press the button on the keyfob
2. Press the tiny button on the door handle
3. Lock with the interior hand switch or key from the exterior

Questions..
Am I missing something? I set the "Auto Lock" and "Unlock" features on the in dash computer and am not seeing those features work as I imagined...IE: I walk up to the car, it unlocks. I walk away, it locks.

Did I expect something that's not possible on these cars? I also get an error after locking the car and walking away that beeps/flashes on the interior lcd screen for a couple seconds saying something along the lines of "Unauthorized key present". Any ideas why? I don't have a dummy key in the car either if that helps clear things up.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the auto lock is for when you drive off (it locks the doors for safety). Probably same for the auto unlock, you stop and put it in park and it unlocks the doors. Not a proximity system as you approach or leave.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:41 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like entry and drive is working exactly as it should. Gotta reach for the handle to unlock, and press the little button to lock. If you get yourself a dummy key, the actual fob can stay in your pocket all day long.

I'm pretty sure the auto lock/unlock has to do with when you put it in gear or get to a certain speed it locks, and when you put it in park or turn it off it will unlock.

Couldn't tell you about the unauthorized key message. I've seen "key not recognized in the vehicle" but that's typically when I leave while it is running. ie, hook/unhook a trailer without shutting off the cayenne.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Villian
Instructor

So misunderstanding on my part about the comfort settings "Auto Lock" and "Auto Unlock". Those are working perfectly as described here and in the manual. The car auto locks at 5mph and unlocks when the key is turned off.

The confusing part is that I occasionally do have the car automatically unlock as I'm nearing it (Without touching any handles) and auto lock after I get 5-10ft away. I tested this last night and it did it 3 times in a row, however it has not done it since. There is no rhyme or reason that I've found thus far, but there must be something. I think it may have to do with how you last locked or unlocked the car, IE: Did you manually lock the doors with the key, lock with the pushbutton, or lock with the remote key fob. I am attempting to determine what the conditions are for this to work, but it's time consuming and mysterious to say the least. I have searched google all over the place, and have only found one thread on one forum referencing this same issue.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:23 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

There does seem to be a timed delay re-lock if a door isn't opened within a certain amount of time after unlocking. Maybe that's playing into it?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Villian
Instructor

Played around with it a bit more today. The time delay I considered, but that wouldn't explain the automatic unlocking of the doors. I managed to get it to work 3 times in a row just walking 15ft away from the car and getting within 2 ft. Consistently locked (Beeped horn and flashed lights too) and then unlocked. I have a feeling it would do it more, but I get that same error message saying "Unrecognized Key in Car" and then it refuses to lock via door locks inside or out. Pressing the keyfob still seems to lock it when that happens. I'm wondering if the plastic Entry & Drive key plays a part at all, because I currently do not have one in my car although I have the Entry & Drive system. Regardless my results show that true keyless locking and unlocking automatically is possible. Not sure what's causing the key left in car message..but I think the car tries to autolock and then thinks there's a key somewhere left inside and pops that message up. I think what's triggering the auto lock and unlock is pressing the main interior (Central) lock button or the outer door button. After that it seems like it auto locks or unlocks until the error message pops up.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car doors may unlock as you get close to the car, contact is not required; this varies from vehicle to vehicle and is dependent on signal strength. Unless no door has been opened, the car should not lock when you walk away.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:05 AM
Villian
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcbit
The car doors may unlock as you get close to the car, contact is not required; this varies from vehicle to vehicle and is dependent on signal strength. Unless no door has been opened, the car should not lock when you walk away.
I'm going to have to observe some more, and get back to this thread. Still trying to figure out some pattern.

Quick Reply: Another Entry & Drive/Unlocking thread...