Tailgate loud release motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 04:46 AM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tailgate loud release motor

Hi everyone,

I am in the marketing looking to purchase a Cayenne GTS. I happened to found one in my area and went to check out the car today. The car has 64k miles and recent serviced at 63k miles with thermostat replaced. I noticed when tailgate / rear hatch open and close, the release motor noise seem to be loud and suspect it may be a sign to replace?

I was wondering have anyone experienced this symptom and what is the cost for the fix? Also, the car have heavy cigarette smell and if that can be cleaned / removed? The car had full leather and alcantara interior.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The motor noise is generally loud and seems as if it is forcing whenever opening & closing. Provided that the tailgate fully opens and closes well, not to worry as this is considered normal operation.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

Thank you Andy and good to know.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:38 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I note that a lot of people have said that the tailgate motors are noisy, however my experience on my 09 GTS and my 09 turbo is that they are almost silent.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:25 AM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

My experience has been that cigarette smell can be reduced and will eventually go away if you thoroughly clean every surface in the car's interior. So clean the leather with your favorite products (like Lexol), the plastic surfaces (I use soap and water, followed by Meguiar's #40), ventilation systems (eg Wurth's Air Conditioning and Heating System aerosol). Meguiar's also has a #23 Odor Eliminator but I have not used it.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

Thanks me bit and Kevin.

I was about the find the authorized shop who has been serviced this truck for the past few years and they were kind enough to share their knowledge about the truck with me. They told me Cayenne used hydraulic pump which is louder than usual electric pump. It is good to know there is nothing should be sorry about the noise.

I was able to negotiate the price down little with the cigarette smell and there is auto detailing shop says they can remove the smell. I am working to finalize the deal and pick up the truck tomorrow and looking forward to discuss/share experience more in the forum.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:39 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2014, 09:25 PM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozbomber
Thanks me bit and Kevin.

I was about the find the authorized shop who has been serviced this truck for the past few years and they were kind enough to share their knowledge about the truck with me. They told me Cayenne used hydraulic pump which is louder than usual electric pump. It is good to know there is nothing should be sorry about the noise.

I was able to negotiate the price down little with the cigarette smell and there is auto detailing shop says they can remove the smell. I am working to finalize the deal and pick up the truck tomorrow and looking forward to discuss/share experience more in the forum.
hey there fellow fremont resident. i can let you hear my (09 GTS) tailgate if you like.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 AM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedoflight
hey there fellow fremont resident. i can let you hear my (09 GTS) tailgate if you like.
Thanks speedoflight! I picked up the truck today but there lots clean/detailing need to do. Let's plan to meet up in a week or so.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozbomber
I picked up the truck today but there lots clean/detailing need to do. Let's plan to meet up in a week or so.
Congrats! Post some before and after photos once you get the beast cleaned up
Old 11-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Congrats! Post some before and after photos once you get the beast cleaned up
I scheduled for a full detailing this Saturday and will post before and after photos to share. Hopefully I can get rid of the cigarette smell.

Quick Reply: Tailgate loud release motor