Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 CTT Question

Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 PM
stevek1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 CTT Question

I'm looking to buy an '04 CTT this week for my wife as a daily driver. Car seems to be in pretty good condition and goes in for a PPI tomorrow. I recall reading in these forums that there is a direct correlation between potential engine issues in cars from cold climate vs a warm climate, although most accounts seem to involve the S and not the turbo.

That being said if the car comes back with a clean PPI should I have any concern that it spent it's first 50k miles in Connecticut and it's last 15k miles in Florida? I'm currently in Florida and was hoping to find a car that has spent all of it's time here, but so far nothing has popped up.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:07 PM
phL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevek1
I recall reading in these forums that there is a direct correlation between potential engine issues in cars from cold climate vs a warm climate, although most accounts seem to involve the S and not the turbo.
i think you mean the scored cylinders of the S's.

don't worry.

look out for the plastic coolant pipes and the T-Pipes.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I would be. There have been cases of Turbo's with scored cylinders from colder climates. Hopefully you aren't having the same dealer that sold you the car do the PPI?! Conflict of interest there...
Old 10-20-2014, 05:10 PM
stevek1
6th Gear

Ok, so 1 vote for concern, and 1 vote for no concern.

I'm having an independent shop handle the PPI. They seem to be knowledgeable and have good reviews. I'll verify with them in the morning but surely scoping the engine to look for these issues is pretty standard PPI protocol?

Coolant pipes are supposedly done, but it's to be determined how many of the other known weak links have been addressed.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like you bought this car without checking out the history? Last thing you want to do is rush a 10 year old car purchase. Most shops do not do a borescope, leak down test, or compression test during a PPI unless you ask for it and its usually an additional charge or at least thats been my experience. Definitely, get this done! These are the only methods I know of to check for scored cylinders. Have you test driven the car? How long did the past owner own the car for? If it was around a year or less it sure does make you wonder why they traded it in so quick.

Flat6 who is a board sponsor and builds plenty of Cayenne engine can tell you all about scored Turbo engines. Granted they made less Turbo's over S's so you don't hear about them as often but they are definitely out there!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 PM
stevek1
6th Gear

Thanks Dan. Appreciate the insight.

Sale is pending the outcome of a PPI. If the rest of the PPI items come back acceptable i'll have the shop get into the engine a little bit to make sure there are no hidden issues. Seems like money well spent for at least a little bit of a piece of mind.

It's a 2 owner car with the recent owner only having it for a year and a half, approx 15k miles. Certainly something that makes me wonder why they sold so quickly, but a clean PPI would give me a little confidence that the short ownership isn't a major factor. Maybe it should be a bigger red flag.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Yea, that would make me wonder why the previous owner is getting rid of it so soon. Hopefully, your PPI comes back ok. Yes, PPI's are definitely money well spent! What's the details on the Turbo if you don't mind be asking? miles, price? I'm kinda looking but waiting for the right car so curious what the market is baring right now.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:47 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

If it helps ease your mind, I bought my 04 tt a year and a half ago. I Love the thing but am already seriously considering trading up to an 06 tts or 08 tt. A car doesn't have to be bad to want to upgrade.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:26 PM
firebird400
Track Day

I have a 2004 CTT and LOVE IT
My girlfriend absolutely adores it , it is her daily driver now and I drive the Audi S6.

Ours has a secondary cat delete and a remap and it makes it so much more fun to drive, just wants to get up and go more.

Also, I live in ICELAND and I have not heard of a problem with the TT, only the S

Go for it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '04 CTT Question