Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashcam Hardwire install (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 03:43 PM
ba2947823
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashcam Hardwire install (need help)

I just purchased a Blackvue DR500GW-HD to go with my 2014 Cayenne Diesel.

Trying to tap into the fuse box. Few things I bought from Amazon:
1) Add A Fuse with 5 Fuses (3,5,7.5,10) ATO (2014 cayenne is NOT mini ATM, but regular sized ATO)
2) Cigarette adapter (two wires + & -)

Step 1:
First thing I did was to verify which is + or - on the Cig Adapter (used meter to find out). Stripped the + wire and crimped it to the Add A Fuse. Wired the - to the screw as ground.

Step 2:
Used Original Fuse (switched fuse) to the first slot, and used 3 (and tried 5) fuse to the 2nd slot (one above the original).

Step 3:
Connected Blackvue power to the Cig adapter, and BAM! No Power.

Step 4:
Uncrimped the Cig from Add A Fuse, attached Cig directed to the original Fuse without the Add A fuse (wrapped the wire around one of the leg of the fuse and plugged). Again, NO Power.

Engine is running, everything is in order. Not sure why I don't have power to my Blackvue. With/Without Add A Fuse, nothing is working. Checked current on Cig adapter and + & - were confirmed.

Any ideas? Should I stripped the wires from blackvue and try connecting directly to the fuse box?
Anyone with a diagram of the fuse box? I tried few fuses (electrical brake, constant on fuses, etc) but no success.

your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:02 AM
dandelos
Advanced

It's been 6 months so just curious if you were ever able to resolve your issue?

I just finished hardwiring 2 Blackvue650s to our cars over the weekend. Was a chore (and a big learning experience) and ran into some issues but everything is running smoothly now.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

I have a blackvue 600 I just installed in my 15 Cayenne. I also installed the power magic pro, so it stays powered for X hours after I shut the car off. Here is what I noted:

If you use the cig lighter plug under the glove compartment, that is the easiest install and powers the unit perfectly, including about 30 min after you turn off the car.

If you want the power magic pro set up, I used an add a fuse on the passenger side fuse block that goes to the overhead console convenience lights (always has power). I ran the wire from the unit down the passenger side pillar and then into the fuse block area (there is a nice cavity above the fuse block to store the extra wire and get a good ground). The power magic is double sided tapped to the footwell area just below the glove box.

For the accessory wire (switched 12v) I used an add a fuse from the Driver side (for the life of me I could not find one on the passenger side that was switched). I used slot 53 "steering column switch" from the Driver Side Fuse Block. I had to run a wire from the driver side under the dash (above the under-dash cover) to the passenger side...but that was very easy and is not visible.

All works perfectly and I can switch the power magic pro on or off if I want it to continue recording after I park (normally turn it off if the car is going to sit in my garage for a couple of days, and back on when I am planning on parking at some public lots).

OP - Not sure I follow all the steps you are doing when it sounds like all you wanted was to connect it to a cig lighter socket. That Blackvue comes with a cord for that and just plugs in...so maybe I misread your post as I am in an airport. Regardless, if you want to hardwire, the fuses I mentioned above worked for me (switched 12 and constant 12).
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
dandelos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
The power magic is double sided tapped to the footwell area just below the glove box.

For the accessory wire (switched 12v) I used an add a fuse from the Driver side (for the life of me I could not find one on the passenger side that was switched). I used slot 53 "steering column switch" from the Driver Side Fuse Block. I had to run a wire from the driver side under the dash (above the under-dash cover) to the passenger side...but that was very easy and is not visible.
For both the permanent power and switched power fuses I used addafuses on the driver's side fuse box. I used fuse slot #53 for the switched power, but yes, I too only found like 3-4 slots in the entire panel that were switched and not permanent. I stuck the PMP on the driver's side (figuring it would be more accessible there) right underneath the fuse box and just in front of the e-break pedal.

I posted pictures here on a dashcam forum when I ran into an issue (subsequently resolved) --
https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/thread...ncluded.10424/
Old 01-11-2016, 03:19 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been awhile since this thread had any activity but it's in line with what I want to do so rather than start a new thread:

My Blackvue DR650GW-2CH

dashcam arrived but before I start, wanted to know if anyone has any tips on installing in Cayenne 958?

I installed the Blackvue DR750LW in my Tesla Model S successfully but the screen buttons are now not working properly and it's rather large up front so for the Cayenne, decided to go with the 650. I have the writeup for the Tesla if anyone is interested.

I'm curious about which fuses position(s) to use, tips on removing panels and running wire thru wire conduits in rear hatch (left or right preferred?), etc. For the Cayenne, I got the Power Magic Pro (PMP) even though the Cayenne does have the built in low voltage warning/shutoff, I'd rather not rely on that or even trigger it. The PMP wasn't needed for the Tesla given the 12V battery is charged by the main battery which can power my entire house for a few weeks!

Thanks,
Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When I installed an aftermarket Bluetooth unit, I used the TPMS/Diagnostics fuse (#51 in my 955) with a tap. It's true switched power with no time delay or wake-up power. I suggest getting it all working as desired before mounting the cam and hiding wires.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quicj question on hard wiring these chaps. How do you wire them so the date/time set is not lost if the car is not used for several days?

Does this hard wiring kit in 'low' state maintain power? Most kits I've seen only have two wires and therefore you only have the option of permanent or switched live?
Old 01-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

I think it must get the time from GPS, as I don't recall ever setting the clock on mine.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
I think it must get the time from GPS, as I don't recall ever setting the clock on mine.
agree. in fact you choose your timezone in the setup at least for Blackvues.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

installation complete and here is the writeup:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yusyjykrhq...DW650.pdf?dl=0
Old 11-17-2016, 05:55 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

When you run the wire to the back hatch if you've got some electrician's flat tape or fiberglass rods you don't have to peel away all the edges of the rubberstripping and headliner. I ran the tape from the top of the A-pillar at the windshield all the way back to the rear top edge of the back passenger door. Neatly skipping the B-pillar. I then ran it back from the hatch toward the passenger door and pulled it from there. Saves you some risk of damaging the headliner.

Likewise, you don't necessarily have to remove the bottom plastic valance/trim at the front passenger footwell. You can drop the cable down along the inside edge at the base of the A-pillar, and not along the outside. It's hard to explain and even harder to take a picture, but I did it on my '17 958.

What I have not yet done is run the wire from the roof out through the tubing to the hatch. That'll come next. Right now I just have it sneaking out the weatherstripping and tucked into the edge of the glass.

My plan is to power it with one of these:
http://amzn.to/2f93krr

One port will power the dashcam, the other will be for a phone charger on the passenger side.

Quick Reply: Dashcam Hardwire install (need help)