Sponsored by:

08 Cayenne keys

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:01 PM
waldo691
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 08 Cayenne keys

I recently purchased an 08 cayenne in the states, brought it to canada, not a big deal. It only has one key, should get a second but the dealer wants 325 + 129 for programming. a bit pricey. I have seen a lot of keys online, some used, some from china, new etc, ranging from 50 for a new from china imitation to a used from usa for about 90 bucks, but needs to be cleared by manufacturer or something, Porsche dealer tells me a key can only be programmed once. Others seems to say otherwise, does it actually have to go to manufacturer to clear an old key or can the dealer do this. If one is to buy a cheaper key from china, is there a way to make it work as it has no barcode, then again most any you buy in North America, used or not do not seem to have a bar code, the bar code is not attached actually to the vin is it? Porsche seems to make you think its entitled to the keys in order to work with the vin? Not likely really, I do not believe this key is so much as touched before the dealer deals with it, so dealer does it all I suspect.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need a key with the barcode. It can only be programmed by a dealer, but you can buy a key elsewhere. I don't think an indy with a PIWIS can program a key, but I'm not sure. Be careful of the source when you buy a key.

The system helps prevent theft.

Oh, and welcome aboard.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:19 PM
waldo691
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I am thinking maybe to order a suncoast key, I did see one on ebay last week, new with bar code but 2 button, for about 60 bucks, promised it had never been programed. but really looking for a 3 button. Seems there still 169 with suncoast, will do more homework and make a decision.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:36 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a new key replaced as my key (14 diesel) had the chrome chipping off. The dealer did the programming and told me it was taking a long(er) time because it has to connect with the factory website to get it correctly done.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Suncoast has a good reputation. I wouldn't buy a discount e-bay key with your d**k and someone else pushing.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the same problem. Bought the car with only one key.
I spoke with my neibor who is a locksmith. The key is only programmable by the dealer, because there is a PIN and only dealer has it.
As far as buying the key somewhere else, the key needs to be cut by a special two-track lasercut machine, not that many locksmiths have it, also I might not be as accurate as you might need.
My dealer does not cut keys in-house, they have them specially ordered based on your Vin#.
I am also looking for a cheaper alternative, but it looks that there isn't one :-(
Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Similar story: my 08S came with one key. Second key came from dealer, had to be programmed by dealer. The independent shop I use was unable to get the PIWIS to do two keys for a Cayenne, some bug that he had not experienced programmed keys for other models like the 911 family. (He was able to program the new key, but the program didn't ask him for the second and original key to program it... weird.)

Porsche of Westwood, MA programmed the key for like $70. Nice guys, I'd certainly recommend them.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering

Quick Reply: 08 Cayenne keys