Sponsored by:

21" Tire Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 21" Tire Feedback

I've been looking at "N" spec 21" tires, and according the Porsche website, there are only current three "N1" variants out there, the PZero, the Advan, and Michelin. Porsche considers the other available N rated tires (i.e., "N0") outdated and advises using the N1 versions.

I won't really consider the Michelins because their tread ware rating is only 220 versus 300 for the PZeroes, not to mention the fact that their new tread depth is only 8.5/32nd versus 10/32nd for the PZeros. Talk about a recipe for a tire not lasting long!!!!

Of the three mentioned above, it appears that only the Yokohama Advans are in stock anywhere; both the PZeroes and the Michelins are on back order. Of course, the Advans are about $675 more expensive for a set of four than the Pirellis. So my question is are they that much better, or is it worth waiting for the PZeroes to come off back order? Does anyone have experience with the Advans, and if so, would you buy them again?

I'm in no huge rush, and will consider the Advans if there's positive feedback regarding them, and might also even consider the new non-N rated Vderstein Vorti tire, but still think that if Porsche spec'ed a tire for a particular vehicle, the vehicle will have that "I feel like me" sense about it when fitted with tires actually spec'ed for it. Even on a pig.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll chime in here because I just got a new set of 21" Pirelli Pzero Rosso NO (see my post "New wheels Cayenne.") I really think NO vs. N1 is a non issue for my 08 Cayenne, for the newer ones I'm not sure.

I switched from Michelins.

Night and day difference. My GTS was "harsh" with the Michelins. The Pzero's are quieter, more compliant, and just plain better better city and highway ride. Just my 02 cents, but I am really happy with the Pzero.

You can also look at my pics to see if you like the tread pattern and sidewall, tires look great.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:03 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I would also vote for the Pirelli's for a daily driver. I have the Michelin's and mostly smooth roads around here so no issues. I do some instructing (PCA & Audi club) and occasionally will take my CTTS with a passenger around the track, they can't believe how fast the Pig is. The Michelin's are the best track tire for sure but I'd still say Pzero's for all around and bang for the buck. But if were talking bang for the buck we'd all be switch to 20" or 22" as all of those tires are cheaper than the 21" tires.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 AM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one mentioned the one tire I have and decided I would purchase again, the Continental CrossContact UHP. So far for my non-track, spirited driving in the dry and raining cold winter months, (4) I like them. I have no experience to go on, but based on price, trad depth and a basic on paper comparison, I already decided to get the same, when I will need them in about 10,000 miles.

P.S. Don't use them in the snow, they are terrible.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:13 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I bought the Continental ContiCrossContact about 1000 miles ago for my 21". I like them, they are quiet on the concrete roads here in TX with soft enough sidewall to help with small bumps as I don't have adjustable suspension. Performed well in the rain. I bought my car in Aug, so first set of tires I have purchased for it.
I'm very pleased with them. Discount tire only carried the Mercedes spec tire and not the generic type but they gave me the Mercedes spec for same cost. I see the Michelins have a 10-15% premium for the Porsche spec tire
Also changed my camber to -0.2 in the front and -0.5 in the rear and no toe in the front and slightly in for the rear. This will help on tire wear as well.
I don't need aggressive set up or tires on this cargo hauler as agressive driving i can do with my other two cars.

Last edited by tgavem; 04-04-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:56 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

I too have the Contis on my '08 CTT that I just purchased two weeks ago. So far, after 500 miles of driving in the wettest March on record here in Seattle, I am favorably impressed. They have pretty serious grip in the wet and I have yet to experience an unsettling moment with them. (Possibly because I am still getting used to the incredible cornering with PDCC!)

I am going to switch to 20s or 22s for the winter. Any suggestions for the best bang for the buck in those sizes?

Cheers,
TomF

Quick Reply: 21" Tire Feedback