Sponsored by:

Cayenne Diesel Platinum VS RX450H

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 PM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayenne Diesel Platinum VS RX450H

Has anyone gone from a Lexus Rx350 to a Cayenne Diesel, if so how does the reliability compare, cost of ownership, quality of parts and materials? I am ready to move my 2010 RX350 and am considering the title vehicles above. This will be a winter vehicle driven while the 911 is stored.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife and I have owned various SUVs over the years. Four Mountaineers, two Envoys, two Sequoias, a GX470, and most recently, two GX460s. We both were not really happy with our 460s and last Fall started shopping around. Nothing really appealed to us until we looked at the CD. Dealer found a 2013 for her, I was so impressed after a couple of weeks driving that I ordered a 2014.

She has had hers less than six months and I've had mine less than three, so it's too early to tell about long term reliability, but so far so good. She has only had a 5000 mile oil change and tire rotation performed. Cost wasn't any worse than service on the GX. I did the AdBlue myself. Of course diesel fuel went up in price after we bought them, that is always my luck. But the fit and finish of the Cayenne is way ahead of anything we have ever driven. When I had the GX in for service I often had an RX as a loaner and IMO there is no comparison to the Cayenne. And you will find yourself with a perpetual grin while driving.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 AM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Any options that you would consider as "must have" on the CD?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 AM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know what options are standard or available on the Platinum, but I got to really appreciate the heated seats and steering wheel this winter. I like the lane change assist, it helps with the blind spot. Park assist with the rear camera is essential for me too. I don't have it, but a lot of people swear by the air suspension with PASM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:58 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My wife used to have a RX350 and we really didn't like that car. It was very pretty and had great features but was NOT a drivers car. The suspension sucked, the brakes sucked, etc.

We just 2 weeks ago got her a 2014 Cayenne Diesel Platinum and she's in complete heaven. The Cayenne IS a drivers car. Handles well, brakes well, good power. It will not drive over a cobble stone road without knowing it and you have to pay for all the features that Lexus comes standard with.

If you are a Porsche driver, I think you'll be much happier in the Cayenne. Just my opinion.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:29 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As noted above. Heated seats and wheel. Air suspension. Lane change assist. Backup camera.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:06 PM
paul29
Rennlist Member

What are Porsche's required engine oil change intervals for the CD. I have had Mercedes diesels and always change oil as per the manufacturer's specs. I see some owners change at unrealistic short intervals, sort of ironic that they buy a diesel for good mileage then throw their savings away with the still serviceable engine oil.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by paul29
Any options that you would consider as "must have" on the CD?
Actually, the V6 diesel is considered a "base" model. It and the V6 gasoline come with bare minimum accoutrements. I package-spec'd mine: convenience package, P1 and P1 packagse, and tow package. Upgrading tires to Michelins resulted in a $71k purchase. I recommend you go to the Porsche/USA website and simply "build" your own Cayenne. That way you can balance your wants with your finances.

//greg//
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Well, the platinum edition has some items that used to be options, such as the bose system and the 19" wheels.

For me, a must have option is the adaptive cruise control. I found that I drive long distance much more with the CD. Adaptive cruise control makes the driving experience more relaxing.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

5000 miles on the oil changes
Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Sorry to say, it will cost alot more money to buy and maintain the Porsche than the Toyota, er Lexus. The Porsche is not a practical decision and can only be justified by your love of cars and joy of driving. We traded a top of the line 2005 4Runner Limited V8 for our 2014 Cayenne Diesel. The Toyota was totally reliable and surprise free for 8 years. It performed well on trade in too. Unfortunately, we never wanted to go anywhere far in that SUV. We are loving the diesel and no trip is too far. It is a joy to drive.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had an RX and an ML and took delivery of my CD platinum three weeks ago. Hands down better than the other two and way better than the base Cayenne, too. Options I like: heated seats and steering wheel, lane change assist and, if you take long drives, the ventilated seats (but you need the 14 way seats to get it).
Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I missed the original post -
We have an RX400h bought new in 2009.
Bought a new Cayenne V-6 with quite a few options in 2011.
Have just over 80,000 km on the RX and over 120,000 km on the Cayenne.

No comparison between the two.

The driving experience in the Cayenne is extremely better.
The price on the Porsche is higher, and depending on how many options you select, can be much higher.
We feel we got more value than we spent.

We still have the Lexus, but it is strictly a city vehicle.
When I have a choice between them, I inevitably will drive the Cayenne.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:00 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Another vote for lane change assist and back up camera as "must have" options. I also really like the parking assist option.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:32 PM
doggod
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2013 CD for my wife and she loves it. She has got up to 40 MPG on highway. Average MPG after 500 miles is 30.4. Most of her driving is city to work and shopping. Not as fast as my 2004 CS, however it only gets about 16 MPG, best freeway mileage was 24 MPG.

Car loves curves with air supension, get some amazing 4 wheel drifts. Better than my 2004 CS without air supension. You can soften the ride when the road is crappy and firm it up on the curves. You can raise and lower the car for offroading, or getting to the summer house, and freeway driving. It is easier to load also with the lowest setting for loading. Not like the other SUV's where you have to lift things over your head to get them into the cargo area.

Gas (super/premium) prices here in cali are higher then diesel, which is about the same as regular. $3.99 per gallon.

Love the quite diesel sound of engine not like the chevy and ford engines that abound here in norcal.

The CD has much more relaxed drive. My biggest concern is the idle at 65 is so low i end up doing 90 without noticing, as i am listening to the engine revs and not watching speedo.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel Platinum VS RX450H